Box End Station

What is your latest project?
MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Box End Station

Post by MuzTrem » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:43 am

With my exams over, I've finally been able to restart work on my Model Town station kit, which will be the new building for Box End station. (For progress to date, see the Workshop page of my website: http://www.freewebs.com/mvr/workshop.htm ).

Now a word of advice for anyone else who should try to build this kit. The ridge tile for the top of the roof is a one-piece length of v-section plastic, but the instructions don't actually tell you how or when you should fit it. I thought that the ridge tile would go on first and the chimnies and clocktower would fit over it. I did a dry run with the components and it all seemed to fit, so I went ahead and glued the ridge tile in place. But once the glue had dried, I suddenly discovered that the clocktower and chimnies didn't fit over the ridge tile like they had before! So, I have now removed the ridge tile, and will glue the chimnies/clocktower directly to the roof; once that is done, I will cut the ridge tile down into shorter lengths to fit between them.

To demonstrate this, the chimnies have now been fitted and the first lengths of ridge tile attached to the ends of the roof:

The next task will be to assemble the clocktower, and I have painted the clocks in preparation for this.

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:25 pm

You've done a great job of painting that brickwork, a very weel built model by the looks of things.

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:24 pm

Now that looks a proper job there! Reet grand!

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:21 pm

Thank you kindly :)

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:02 pm

Looking great!
Garden Railways-best hobby in the world.

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:12 pm

great job there :D

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:16 am

Nice job there, ridge tiles are next thing to do on my Lineside delights station building, I won't be making that mistake though!
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:26 am

For the amount of money these kits cost, you think they would include some proper instructions.

However, hopefully no damage done removing the offending piece.

Is this kit still available, as I cannot see that one on their website?

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:53 am

You're right, it is annoying that the instructions aren't a bit better - although in fact, I often find this is often a problem with expensive kits...not naming any offenders...cough-GRS-cough... :roll: The ridge tile came off OK, but it's still got all the dry glue on the underside, which has neccessitated a little sanding.

I don't know if the kit is still availible, but it is over two years since I bought it (!), so it may have been withdrawn in that time.

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:43 pm

Well, it's been a little longer than I intended, but I've finally fitted the clocktower:

It was extremely fiddly to assemble though. Beccause Alraldite dosn't dry for hours, you have to tape it up while it dries or it just won't stay iin the right place. But you need three hands to hold all the pieces while you put the tape on...and even then, it still tends to move a little before it dries! (This is why I hate Araldite!) Even now it is not completely square...I am just hoping it will not be too noticable when the building is in it's final position! :roll:

Right, I'm going outside now to paint the chimney pots and canopy...

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:01 pm

I like, you need to use Alardite Rapid, iit dries quicker (15 mins) for an allright stick