RE-Building my Lady Anne

What is your latest project?
ptlrcecil
Driver
Driver

Post by ptlrcecil » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:21 am

A fireball XL5 jobbie then.
http://www.freewebs.com/pinetreelightrailway/index.

Cecil your engines on Fire!

Its a Mamod it does that.

bungle80a
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bungle80a » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:59 pm

ERm, somthing like that! Put it this way, "get it outside...NOW!" was hollered when it started to seriously set fire to the workbench!
Bungle80a

"Who has stolen the 3 link coupling off the end of my train?!?!

.....[a few minutes pass hunting down replacements].....

"So, which comedian has uncoupled my entire train?!?!"

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:49 pm

I've done a similar job myself on an old Lady Anne and an old Dylan in my collection.

If you do decide to put new axles on it you will also need to get new wheels, cranks, crank pins and axle bearings. The old-style axles that your loco currently has are smaller (3/16 inch) than the current design (1/4 inch), hence the need for new axle bearings. You will need to drill the frames for the new bearings to fit. The bearings should have some Loctite 603 applied and then have the backs "squeezed" with an old ball bearing to flare out the back lip on the bearing, all to stop the bearing coming out or rotating in the frame hole. This may mean that you have to take the frames apart to do this.

You will also have to modify the slip-eccentric valve gear to take the larger axles. Roundhouse made a new design of slip-eccentric gear to fit the new axles, but I think these were all sold years ago.

While you are at it, it would probably be a good idea to have new coupling and connecting rods, and those from the current model of Lady Anne will fit your loco.

The current style of wheel has a boss on the back that contains the locking grub screw that is used when changing the gauge. Due to the width of the bosses the existing 4-pot burner will not fit as there is insufficient room between the wheels for one of the pots. When Roundhouse went to the current style of wheel on their meths locos they re-designed the meths burner to have only three pots, but numbers 1 and 3 were made larger in diameter, with number 2 remaining the same as those on your burner.

Finally, a word of warning about brass boilers.... DO NOT, and I repeat, DO NOT leave water in this boiler for any long length of time. The water reacts - slowly - with the brass and leeches the zinc out of it, leaving the copper behind but full of tiny holes. A friend's Roundhouse Pooter has just had a new boiler because he left it with the water in for a couple of years.Image
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks