snowploughs

What is your latest project?
pauly
Driver
Driver

snowploughs

Post by pauly » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:51 pm

Iv just started building a new snowplough (last years was a disaster) and was just wondering if any other members have started preparing/prepared for winter?
A steam propelled life-style.

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:59 pm

Nope because the chances of me getting snow are so low that if I prepare they will not even exsist!

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:59 pm

I already have mine as you will know ;) :lol: So I'm all set. And I have stocks of Butane + Propane mix (from a while ago...).

DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Post by DLRdan » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:04 pm

Already using my snowplough and snowblower to tackle the leaf problem
Dan,

James: "Dan, can you use your hearing and tell me if that trains coming ?"
DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:11 pm

Like Will I don't see the point in making one, the snow amounts just don't justify it. Having said that a wise person who has a very good record for predicting the weather (he got this summer right when everyone else didn't) said early this year that this coming winter would be on a par with the very cold winter in 1963...
I just hope SLRmidge has fixed his snowplough after last years disaster... :lol: :lol:
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:21 pm

by the way can we get pics of these snowplough and blowers? they sound interesting (blower especially).

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:41 pm

laalratty wrote:said early this year that this coming winter would be on a par with the very cold winter in 1963...
If THAT happens, we won't even be able to get out the door to use our snowploughs!! And they'd have to be about 4' high snowploughs :lol: :lol:

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:47 pm

mhlr wrote:
laalratty wrote:said early this year that this coming winter would be on a par with the very cold winter in 1963...
If THAT happens, we won't even be able to get out the door to use our snowploughs!! And they'd have to be about 4' high snowploughs  :lol:  :lol:
if you started running your trains continuesly when it started snowing by the time it got to 4 foot high your track would still be clear ;)

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:48 am

I can see the point of a snowplough for you northerners (!) but here in Derbyshire we very rarely get enough snow to warrant the use of a snowplough.
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:24 pm

MDLR wrote:I can see the point of a snowplough for you northerners (!) but here in Derbyshire we very rarely get enough snow to warrant the use of a snowplough.
Well you'd be surprised, what chance do you think I have in Cornwall... but IT SNOWED!! In February... So good job I had built a plough!

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:37 pm

well heres ome of mine

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:14 pm

looks fairly feirsom!
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:51 pm

Somereason, it reminds me of K9 from Doctor Whatsit.

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:16 pm

"Afermi-plough"
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

minimans
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by minimans » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:01 pm

You should do what I did when it snow's............Move to California!! This is my one and only snow shot from my Garden,
1st time in 20 years apparently.........................

You can Just see the white bit on the top........................

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:45 pm

snowploughs finished and its been tested on all my clearances

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:58 pm

Very nice! However, wouldn't having the blade spaced slightly wider have been better, because then you have more clearance for wider locos and stock, and also the longer stuff on curves may catch the snow banks at the side with the overhang...?

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:16 pm

mhlr wrote:Very nice! However, wouldn't having the blade spaced slightly wider have been better, because then you have more clearance for wider locos and stock, and also the longer stuff on curves may catch the snow banks at the side with the overhang...?
well the blades tip stays between the tracks on the curves so it shouldnt cause any trouble on curves and since its gonna be pushed by my widest loco so I dont have to worry about the clearing not being wide enough once its passed through.

Hancockshire
Driver
Driver

Post by Hancockshire » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:26 pm

Good thing you didn't put a picture of my face at the front :lol:

Titan
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Titan » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:35 pm

Ah the joys of snow! Takes me back... to 1991... IIRC.

I was at home, and it started to snow... A LOT!!!

So I quickly bashed up a snowplough from meccano, and bolted it to the front of my only loco.

This is what it was like when I started, a little more than an inch or so had fallen, but it was coming down thick and fast. There was one small part of the track which was not covered, and the tender was placed on this. Steam was raised indoors, and the hot loco carried out on to the track ready for the off, with safety valve blowing!!!

I opened the regulator wide, and to my suprise it parted the snow at almost normal Mamod speed, and I had to catch it and stop it so I could take a picture of it before it cleared a complete circuit!

Well, as it seemed to go so well, I thought I would have a play and hang some coaches on the back. You get some terrific steam effects in these temperatures!

But after 15 or so more minutes, I was getting somewhat cold - although the loco seemed completely unfazed by the large flakes landing and sizzling on the boiler! You can see how quickly the snow was building up on the tender and the coach roofs. Indeed, if you are wondering why some of the pictures are a little blurred, it is due to the large number of snowflakes falling, which unfortunately the camera did not pick up too well.

So I took a break for half an hour or so. However, the snow was falling so fast that even in that short time it had reduced the track to this:

It was not clearing the snow so easily now! It was a case of back her up and CHARGE!!! Each time I gained between six inches and a foot. She still made it around eventually, but I was getting cold again so that was when the playing stopped.

It must be noted that at no time did the loco have any assistance in the form of pushing, even when backing up and ramming. It was all done just using the controls of the loco.

It is the only chance I have ever had to play in the snow, and I made damn sure I made the most of it!!
It's a Mamod Jim, but not as we know it!