My coal fired Edrig project.

What is your latest project?
grumpfuttock
Fireman
Fireman

My coal fired Edrig project.

Post by grumpfuttock » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:37 pm

Here is the start of my project, I managed to get some time to sit down and draw the first basic idea, which is loosely based on my second rebuilt Mamod design. I had wanted to base the loco on a prototype, but I think I might end up making to many compromises which would then end up anything but a model of the prototype !Also, the prototype loco's that I have wanted to build have not had the same design of smokebox as the one supplied by DJB.  

I want to have some form of radio control fitted, so I need to have a tank loco with some sort of tender or large bunker, so that there is ample room for water, coal and radio equipment, this design should manage to fit everything in.

The small tender/bunker will be attached to the loco on an articulated bogie, which will have a pivot point a few millimeter from the back of the firebox. This will enable the bunker to be very close coupled to the rear of the cab. The cab roof will be hinged to give better access with the coal shovel. The next job is to get started  :lol:
John.

"I am not an armchair modeller, I have a garden railway, so I am a deckchair modeller."

http://www.tumblydowncottage.dk

andysleigh
Driver
Driver

Post by andysleigh » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:50 pm

looks great john.

i cant wait to see progress and trhe finished thing. should be good.

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:57 pm

I eagerley await progress :) !

grumpfuttock
Fireman
Fireman

Post by grumpfuttock » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:59 pm

andysleigh wrote:looks great john.

i cant wait to see progress and trhe finished thing.  should be good.
As to it looking good Andy, only time will tell :lol:

I will try to take photos as I build, and post them in here over the course of time.
John.

"I am not an armchair modeller, I have a garden railway, so I am a deckchair modeller."

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:20 am

Great project John I eagley wait for further progress :D

grumpfuttock
Fireman
Fireman

Post by grumpfuttock » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:30 pm

ACLR wrote:Great project John I eagley wait for further progress  :D
Thanks Graham ! I think progress will be slow, but I hope to have the loco finished by next Xmas if not before, I don't have a lot of free time :(
John.

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:09 pm

wowee, I WANT IT!

grumpfuttock
Fireman
Fireman

Post by grumpfuttock » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:12 am

mhlr wrote:wowee, I WANT IT!
Can't have it.... :!:  nah, nah, nah, naah nah naaaaah ! :lol:

I really didn't like doing that, honestly, mhlr, but I want it too :D
John.

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:17 pm

LMAO!!!

grumpfuttock
Fireman
Fireman

Post by grumpfuttock » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:35 am

At long last, I got started on the coalfired Cedrig project. Removed the footplate from the Edrig Chassis. Cut out the area where the firebox fits using a dremel and cutting disc, well actually approx 6 discs :lol:
I fixed the blower valve/ exhaust nozzle to the brass bush on top of the steam outlet from the reversing valve.

The instructions said that the steam inlet on the reversing block needed to be bent forward at a 90 degree angle. I very carefully bent it into the position as shown in the picture. That was the first mistake, as it brought the level of the bottom of the boiler shell too far down towards the footplate , and thus prevented the smokebox assembly from fitting to the boiler. I carefully bent it up to a 45 degree angle, praying that the copper pipe didn't break. It didn't! The hardest part was carefully bending the steam pipe from the regulator which runs through the boiler, emerging through the boiler front plate into the smokebox area. This was not easy to manipulate to the proper posoition to connect with the union on the steam inlet pipe from the reversing valve block. The pipe needed to be bent a few times, and at one point it suddenly became easier to bend. This made me think that it had started to fracture, but after pressure testing it with water, it seems OK. Anway I got the pipes lined up and the union connects fine. I had a bit of a problem getting the smokebox on, there is just (and only just) enough space between the footplate and the boiler shell.

The next job was getting the grate and ashpan assembly lined up to sit at the bottom of the firebox. The original battery compartment cover needed removing by removing its hinge pin and fixing screw. The front of the ashpan has two tags with a hole in each so that a pin can run through them and the holes in the frame where the battery cover hinge pin was situated. The back of the ashpan has a flange that is held by the buffer beam fixing screws. The ashpan/grate assembly needed a fair bit of adjustment before it sat properly in place. The photo below shows progress so far.

The next job for to be done, is to fix the water pump assembly to the rear of the lefthand frame, this entails the drilling of two holes in the frame. I hate drilling holes, for some inexplicable reason, no matter how carefully I measure and mark out, the holes always seem to end up where they are NOT supposed to be :( After the water pump, the lubricator needs a hole to be drilled in the footplate, then the frames and rear of the footplate need extending to provide cab room for a driver and fireman. I need to find a place for the radio servo's and receiver, build side tanks, and a tender, and add details. plenty of work to be done yet !
John.

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:39 am

That's what I call a 'proper job'!!!!!! I saw a vid on you tube of Harry Godding's coal Edrig. It's fantastic to have a coal fired one!
If I had the money.... :(

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:04 am

John that looks great mate :D

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:40 pm

Looking great, I presume you're centre punching the holes?

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:15 pm

Looks great!!!!!!

Shame the coal fired kits aren't made anymore :cry:

grumpfuttock
Fireman
Fireman

Post by grumpfuttock » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:33 pm

SillyBilly wrote:Looking great, I presume you're centre punching the holes?
Yep ! I also use Tag Gortons advice of putting sticky tap or masking tape where the holes are to be drilled... I must say that trick has helped to keep the drill where it is supposed to be, but I still often end up with one hole slightly out of place in relation to the other :lol:

I was going to do the water pump today, but something else came up, so maybe tomorrow. I was supposed to go somewhere, but at the moment we are having a blizzard, the snow is already a quarter the way up our door, so I guess I will be staying in tomorrow ! Crazy weather the past couple of years. The first snow since Feb 2007 came on Easter Sunday... and summertime starts next weekend  :lol:

To Steamy Jim........... A great shame to be sure, I am not sure why the kits were dropped, maybe not enough interest, too cheap, or maybe too many people having problems with putting them together, at least with the ready to run locos any problems can be ironed out before the owners receive them..

To ACLR... thanks Graham, are you still in the UK or is the holiday over? (if so, I hope you had a great time).

To MHLR..... thanks to you too :) The videos of the coalfired Edrig on YouTube are really good, it sounds good too!
Last edited by grumpfuttock on Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
John.

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:38 pm

Summertime starts on my birthday :D . Only in my dreams does snow get 1/4 of the way up our door!

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:44 pm

grumpfuttock wrote:
SillyBilly wrote:Looking great, I presume you're centre punching the holes?
Yep ! I also use Tag Gortons advice of putting sticky tap or masking tape where the holes are to be drilled... I must say that trick has helped to keep the drill where it is supposed to be, but I still often end up with one hole slightly out of place in relation to the other :lol:

I was going to do the water pump today, but something else came up, so maybe tomorrow. I was supposed to go somewhere, but at the moment we are having a blizzard, the snow is already a quarter the way up our door, so I guess I will be staying in tomorrow ! Crazy weather the past couple of years. The first snow since Feb 2007 came on Easter Sunday... and summertime starts next weekend  :lol:

To Steamy Jim........... A great shame to be sure, I am not sure why the kits were dropped, maybe not enough interest, too cheap, or maybe too many people having problems with putting them together, at least with the ready to run locos any problems can be ironed out before the owners receive them..

To ACLR... thanks Graham, are you still in the UK or is the holiday over? (if so, I hope you had a great time).

To MHLR..... thanks to you too  :)  The videos of the coalfired Edrig on YouTube are really good, it sounds good too!
On his website it says due to ill health ;)

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:22 pm

A very interesting project.

It will be very good to see a video of this loco in action once completed.

penrhynpwr
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by penrhynpwr » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:02 am

Checking in to see if you have made more progres on Edrig. I still say if someone would revive this boiler kit, I would sign up for one tonight!!! I didnt have the money inplace at the time, and didnt want to sign up and not be able to pay. Now you cant get the darn things. I cannot afford the stuff from Shawe and this was right up my alley, able to split up the cost. John Shawes stuff is nice, but starting with the expensive Roundhouse chassis make his stuff great, but pushing $6000 in US dollers! Lots of money for a four coupled coal burner.

grumpfuttock
Fireman
Fireman

Post by grumpfuttock » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:53 pm

I ran into a problem with the lubricator supplied with the boiler, which leaks badly from the mounting thread in the bottom. I need to resolder it. I discovered this when doing a hydraulic test of all the joints. At the start of June I had slightly changed the loco design, and started on constructing the side tanks. I have done the sides of both tanks, and given them rivet detail, I need to do the top and bottom and rear panels. I have managed to get a 3 channel R/C system and 3 mini servos which I hope to fit to regulator, reversing valve and blower. These will need to be set up next.

Unfortunately I got side tracked when I became the owner of an Accucraft "Lyn" which arrived in the beginning of June, which needed R/C fitting in time for a steam festival in July that we were due to attend. Due to fantastic weather over the last couple of months, most of my time has been spent working in the garden. A few weeks ago, I managed to sell my RH Fowler, and purchased a S/H Regner "Lumber Jack" so that has distracted me as well !

It is a shame that DJB has stopped the boiler kits for use with the Accucraft Edrig chassis, but that chassis is no longer being made only the power unit with boiler. David Bailey is proposing to supply a full kit for a "Budget coal fired 0-4-0 locomotive, which if I remember rightly he hopes will be in the £1,200 - £1,500 region, although he cannot give a definite price at the moment, due to rising material prices and the need price the individual parts. He is restricting the number of kits to 12 for next year. So maybe there is hope for you yet.
John.