My coal fired Edrig project.

What is your latest project?
SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:38 pm

Summertime starts on my birthday :D . Only in my dreams does snow get 1/4 of the way up our door!

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:44 pm

grumpfuttock wrote:
SillyBilly wrote:Looking great, I presume you're centre punching the holes?
Yep ! I also use Tag Gortons advice of putting sticky tap or masking tape where the holes are to be drilled... I must say that trick has helped to keep the drill where it is supposed to be, but I still often end up with one hole slightly out of place in relation to the other :lol:

I was going to do the water pump today, but something else came up, so maybe tomorrow. I was supposed to go somewhere, but at the moment we are having a blizzard, the snow is already a quarter the way up our door, so I guess I will be staying in tomorrow ! Crazy weather the past couple of years. The first snow since Feb 2007 came on Easter Sunday... and summertime starts next weekend  :lol:

To Steamy Jim........... A great shame to be sure, I am not sure why the kits were dropped, maybe not enough interest, too cheap, or maybe too many people having problems with putting them together, at least with the ready to run locos any problems can be ironed out before the owners receive them..

To ACLR... thanks Graham, are you still in the UK or is the holiday over? (if so, I hope you had a great time).

To MHLR..... thanks to you too  :)  The videos of the coalfired Edrig on YouTube are really good, it sounds good too!
On his website it says due to ill health ;)

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:22 pm

A very interesting project.

It will be very good to see a video of this loco in action once completed.

penrhynpwr
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by penrhynpwr » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:02 am

Checking in to see if you have made more progres on Edrig. I still say if someone would revive this boiler kit, I would sign up for one tonight!!! I didnt have the money inplace at the time, and didnt want to sign up and not be able to pay. Now you cant get the darn things. I cannot afford the stuff from Shawe and this was right up my alley, able to split up the cost. John Shawes stuff is nice, but starting with the expensive Roundhouse chassis make his stuff great, but pushing $6000 in US dollers! Lots of money for a four coupled coal burner.

grumpfuttock
Fireman
Fireman

Post by grumpfuttock » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:53 pm

I ran into a problem with the lubricator supplied with the boiler, which leaks badly from the mounting thread in the bottom. I need to resolder it. I discovered this when doing a hydraulic test of all the joints. At the start of June I had slightly changed the loco design, and started on constructing the side tanks. I have done the sides of both tanks, and given them rivet detail, I need to do the top and bottom and rear panels. I have managed to get a 3 channel R/C system and 3 mini servos which I hope to fit to regulator, reversing valve and blower. These will need to be set up next.

Unfortunately I got side tracked when I became the owner of an Accucraft "Lyn" which arrived in the beginning of June, which needed R/C fitting in time for a steam festival in July that we were due to attend. Due to fantastic weather over the last couple of months, most of my time has been spent working in the garden. A few weeks ago, I managed to sell my RH Fowler, and purchased a S/H Regner "Lumber Jack" so that has distracted me as well !

It is a shame that DJB has stopped the boiler kits for use with the Accucraft Edrig chassis, but that chassis is no longer being made only the power unit with boiler. David Bailey is proposing to supply a full kit for a "Budget coal fired 0-4-0 locomotive, which if I remember rightly he hopes will be in the £1,200 - £1,500 region, although he cannot give a definite price at the moment, due to rising material prices and the need price the individual parts. He is restricting the number of kits to 12 for next year. So maybe there is hope for you yet.
John.

"I am not an armchair modeller, I have a garden railway, so I am a deckchair modeller."

http://www.tumblydowncottage.dk

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:39 pm

I am looking forward to the DJB budget coal loco! All I need to do now is ask dad for one! - not as easy!

grumpfuttock
Fireman
Fireman

Post by grumpfuttock » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:56 am

mhlr wrote:I am looking forward to the DJB budget coal loco! All I need to do now is ask dad for one! - not as easy!
How about...when he asks what you want for Xmas, say a Maxi Track 71/4 inch gauge coal fired steam loco, but if that is too expensive then a coal fired 16mm loco kit from DJB would be an acceptible compromise :lol:

I regret to say, it never worked with my dad.
John.

"I am not an armchair modeller, I have a garden railway, so I am a deckchair modeller."

http://www.tumblydowncottage.dk

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:34 am

grumpfuttock wrote:
mhlr wrote:I am looking forward to the DJB budget coal loco! All I need to do now is ask dad for one! - not as easy!
How about...when he asks what you want for Xmas, say a Maxi Track 71/4 inch gauge coal fired steam loco, but if that is too expensive then a coal fired 16mm loco kit from DJB would be an acceptible compromise  :lol:

I regret to say, it never worked with my dad.
yeah right!!! :lol: