CHASSIS FOR FWLR

What is your latest project?
FWLR
Driver
Driver

CHASSIS FOR FWLR

Post by FWLR » Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:08 am

Started to print some 3d chassis for our line. I have printed some complete chassis with the axle boxes included in the design, but they mostly have a lot stringing and some of the print doesn't look right, mainly the springs, although you can't see them when the bodies go on, to me they are not quite what I like. It's just me I suppose. :dontknow:

Anyway I have done these for now, they are not perfect either, but I like them were I can fit the axle boxes separately, but there is a slight flew with the fixing of them. The bolts are too big. I have used 3mm bolts and nuts, although the threaded bolt is 3mm the head is 5.5mm, so they look huge. I need to alter the holes for them to fit smaller BA bolts.

This is one of the first I printed. It looks a bit plain...

tempImagep3ShNw.gif
tempImagep3ShNw.gif (6.97 MiB) Viewed 2721 times

Rather than put each individual design, I have placed them together.

This next photo shows more designs.

tempImageXMCGxN.gif
tempImageXMCGxN.gif (5.55 MiB) Viewed 2721 times

This next photo shows the 3rd one with some ironmongery. Which I think looks loads better. :dontknow:

tempImage4jC4AS.gif
tempImage4jC4AS.gif (5.93 MiB) Viewed 2721 times

The axle boxes can be any of the designs which I think looks better for the wagon or coach. You have to bare in mind I have very little knowledge of what axle box should be on any particular chassis, but seeing has our line is completely fictional it doesn't really matter I suppose.
Anyway when I have done a body for one of them I will post it up and hopefully the members will like it.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: CHASSIS FOR FWLR

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:24 am

Well done Rid, to me they look just fine. I am not knowledgeable or particular on which axle-boxes I use either, as long as they look purposeful and do the job.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:59 am

Hi Peter. Thank you for your kind words. Do you think I should be putting smaller BA bolts in the chassis. The more I look at them the more I think they should be smaller.

By the way a keyboard slip on my name... :lol :lol :lol

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:44 pm

They look fine to me, Rod. I could happily live with the large bolt heads.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:58 pm

FWLR wrote: ↑Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:59 am Hi Peter. Thank you for your kind words. Do you think I should be putting smaller BA bolts in the chassis. The more I look at them the more I think they should be smaller.

With bodywork on top of the chassis they won't be noticed, except by only the few who make it their life's work.

Sorry about the slip..... 'o' is next to 'i' on my keyboard and I have chubby fingers!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:39 am

ge_rik wrote: ↑Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:44 pm They look fine to me, Rod. I could happily live with the large bolt heads.

Rik
Thanks Rik. It’s good to know you like them. :thumbright:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:44 am

Peter Butler wrote: ↑Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:58 pm
FWLR wrote: ↑Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:59 am Hi Peter. Thank you for your kind words. Do you think I should be putting smaller BA bolts in the chassis. The more I look at them the more I think they should be smaller.

With bodywork on top of the chassis they won't be noticed, except by only the few who make it their life's work.

Sorry about the slip..... 'o' is next to 'i' on my keyboard and I have chubby fingers!
Thanks Peter. Coming from someone who has been a inspiration to me, means a lot. :thumbright:

I am always pressing the wrong one to Peter. Seems they need to put bigger buttons on the keyboard, just like you get with those huge buttons on mobile phones people can get now. :lol: :lol: