Directors' saloon

What is your latest project?
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Directors' saloon

Post by ge_rik » Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:04 pm

I've always intended to construct a Directors' Saloon for the PLR but it has always slipped down the priority list. It won't be as elaborate as Peter Butler's magnificent creation, but it will be inspired by it. The PLR incarnation will be a fairly modest affair.

My starting point is the GVT 1901 4-wheeled 3rd class coach - which has a single door on each side.
WJK Davies Collection 5-97 Glyn Valley 30-May-1932 - centre-door and clerestory coaches at Chirk - HC Casserley photo 8559.jpg
WJK Davies Collection 5-97 Glyn Valley 30-May-1932 - centre-door and clerestory coaches at Chirk - HC Casserley photo 8559.jpg (54.36 KiB) Viewed 3603 times

I've 3D drawn the requisite parts in the ubiquitous Tinkercad - made a lot easier by the fact that the 1901 coaches were based on the earlier 1892 coaches which I've already Tinkercadded
Tinkercad.jpg
Tinkercad.jpg (113.03 KiB) Viewed 3603 times

However, as it is a Director's Saloon rather than a bog-standard 3rd class coach, its interior will be a tad more plush.
Interior v1.png
Interior v1.png (555.83 KiB) Viewed 3603 times

The (dolls house) furniture was downloaded from Thingiverse and rescaled to 15mm (1:20.3) in Tinkercad. I'll add a few more interior details to add to the opulence (eg drapes and framed artwork) but, hopefully, it will look the part.

The requisite parts for the saloon are being printed as I write this. More to follow......

Rik
PS - Once I've satisfied myself that the parts fit together OK I will post them in the 3D printing files section (with the original 3rd class seating interior) should anyone else want them.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: Directors' saloon

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:32 pm

Thanks for the compliment Rik, I'm sure your saloon will look magnificent with its plush interior. I will follow with interest.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

GAP
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by GAP » Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:03 pm

Looking good Rik
Have you looked in the structures and scenery drop down in tinkercad for some items?
Graeme
From the home of the Ringbalin Light Railway
https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspo ... -page.html

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:47 am

GAP wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:03 pm Looking good Rik
Have you looked in the structures and scenery drop down in tinkercad for some items?
No, but I'll give it a look

Rik
------------------------

Johnnie1000
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Johnnie1000 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:14 pm

Surely the directors saloon should have a cabinet full of booze?
Cheers
John

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:27 pm

Johnnie1000 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:14 pm Surely the directors saloon should have a cabinet full of booze?
Only when he's entertaining Mr. I.N.Spector!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:12 pm

Johnnie1000 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:14 pm Surely the directors saloon should have a cabinet full of booze?
I'll see what I can rustle up..... :lol:

Rik
------------------------

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:35 am

Loving the Saloon build Rik. It does look impressive. Do you print the chassis flat face down, it's because when I print my own chassis the axle boxes always look rubbish with falling down of the print to far to much stringing. I know the stringing is down to the setting on my printer when it is going through the slicer, but I generally don't touch those setting, because it always ends up either worse or the print itself fails. So I have gone the other way and print the completed chassis without axles boxes with the boxes printed separately flat. I do however fix the axles boxes to the chassis with 3mm bolts, but on reflection o need to put some small BA bolts instead, after me printing 10 or so chassis and axles boxes.
Oh well we all aren't perfect, I'am not anyway... :lol: :lol: :lol: When I get the chance I will start a thread on my chassis and see what the forum chaps think about them. I am always open to criticism and helpful ideas, that's how we progress in our fantastic hobby don't we, learning more and more every day.

PS. On the subject of the error's that happen when members, especially new members who haven't posted before. There is a new member from Wisconsin, who had some problems with getting the error message and then getting multiple posts on his thread. Members who post regularly know that their post have gone onto the forum ok, well most do anyway. So my thought is, can there not be some kind of notification on the 'New Members Introduction' section that says something about the error message and please don't keep on trying to post what they think is not going on the forum.

Just a thought.. :idea:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:30 am

FWLR wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:35 am . Do you print the chassis flat face down, it's because when I print my own chassis the axle boxes always look rubbish with falling down of the print to far to much stringing........
Hi Rod
I tend to break all my builds down into flat pack components. eg
IMG_20230427_082400.jpg
IMG_20230427_082400.jpg (217.94 KiB) Viewed 3376 times

I went through a spell where I was getting loads of stringing. I kept tweaking settings suggested by various websites until it reduced significantly. I've not entirely eliminated it, but I can live with what it's like now. Like you, I don't like tweaking settings too much.

Rik
PS Rather than trying to print all these parts at the same time, I print each part separately. That reduces stringing as well.
------------------------

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:37 am

Thanks Rik. :thumbright:

drewzero1
Administrator
Administrator

Post by drewzero1 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:39 pm

FWLR wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:35 am ...something about the error message and please don't keep on trying to post what they think is not going on the forum.

Just a thought.. :idea:
That is helpful to know that the posts still go through despite the error message. I should have known better, honestly... I can't count how many times I've fixed a printer issue at work, only to find somebody clicked 'Print' fifty times before calling me about it. If I can't get to their print queue in time to cancel it, I have to watch helplessly while the printer spits out a whole tree's worth of scratch paper.

I have also had best results from flat packed chassis. The detail on the axle boxes tends to turn out clearest when it's printed facing up, at least on my Ender 3. The downside (literally!) is that the holes for the axles can close up a bit if the bed isn't leveled perfectly. I have put together a simple model axle race with chamfered inner circumference, which I've sized to fit the 1/8” axle stock I use. I drop it in the axle holes in the slicer whenever I'm printing somebody else's model axle boxes. The chamfer helps keep the hole from closing up and makes chasing out the holes easier post-printing.

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:35 pm

drewzero1 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:39 pm I have put together a simple model axle race with chamfered inner circumference, which I've sized to fit the 1/8” axle stock I use. I drop it in the axle holes in the slicer
Now THAT is a good idea. :D :thumbright: I tend to do it individually each time... being a bit thick, it never occurred to me to create it as a component/template!
Philip

tommygander1941
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by tommygander1941 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:21 pm

Looking good rik, the interior reminds me very much of the interior of Mr Williams the head office from Ivor the Engine.

drewzero1
Administrator
Administrator

Post by drewzero1 » Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:57 am

The interior kind of reminds me of General Eisenhower's command car, writ small.
Screenshot_20230428-205019.jpg
Screenshot_20230428-205019.jpg (214.04 KiB) Viewed 3281 times

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:58 am

Bit Army like, not very plush is it. Still, it does have carpet and proper electric lamps. So it does look quite good. :thumbright:

drewzero1
Administrator
Administrator

Post by drewzero1 » Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:53 am

I always think it's fun to see regular furniture on a train. This particular carriage appeared to have had two partitions torn out to turn three compartments into one big living room.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:57 am

I like the panelling and lamps. Mind you, the arrangement of the chairs reminds me of my old dentist's waiting room :shock:

Rik
------------------------

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:34 am

ge_rik wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:57 am I like the panelling and lamps. Mind you, the arrangement of the chairs reminds me of my old dentist's waiting room :shock:

Rik
:lol :lol :lol

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:04 am

Does the sound of the wheels rolling on the rails, remind you of the old 'rubber-band' slow dentists drill, as well? :( :shock:

Phil.P

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:07 am

Phil.P wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:04 am Does the sound of the wheels rolling on the rails, remind you of the old 'rubber-band' slow dentists drill, as well? :( :shock:

Phil.P
:laughing3: :laughing3: