First Ever Garden Railway

What is your latest project?
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: First Ever Garden Railway

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:17 pm

There may be space for the track to remain level and deviate around the steps in a cutting, or even a tunnel if the top step is raised?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ashover
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by ashover » Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:03 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:17 pm There may be space for the track to remain level and deviate around the steps in a cutting, or even a tunnel if the top step is raised?
Would need to be a tunnel under the top step- but that's very deep. I'm going to proceed with the bridge :thumbright:
Nicholas J

ashover
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by ashover » Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:05 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone, and for the useful links, Graeme- much obliged.

I'll go with the bridge idea. That seems the most straightforward- literally.
Nicholas J

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:31 pm

Sounds like a plan!

You can always start simple, with a plank braced with 2x1, and then create something more elaborate later, when you've got things up and running...

Cheers,

Andrew

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:32 am

You won't go wrong with these guys advising ya! Looking forward to seeing your line unfold. :D
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

ashover
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by ashover » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:37 am

Last qu for a bit ... hopefully... the track bed will be ballast - the track won't be fastened down except on the bridge.

For the 'dogbone' loop - per the diagram, would you suggest going with flexible track and bending it to shape, or pre-made curved sections for at least some of it?

I do want it to be quite tight - to save space, but apprehensive - if I bend, presumably it stays bent without needing to be fixed down?

Cheers everyone!
Nicholas J

ashover
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by ashover » Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:01 am

Update: we have track!

Most of the straights anyway. I need a lot of set-track curves and points… 6 in total.

Coming from the 00 world…. I can’t believe the cost of points. It’s looking like £450 just in those?

If anyone has any they’d like to offload I’d certainly appreciate being able to shave the cost a bit!
Attachments
8B282E5A-9681-4B7E-87E9-0809F443AE94.jpeg
8B282E5A-9681-4B7E-87E9-0809F443AE94.jpeg (6.98 MiB) Viewed 3206 times
Nicholas J

GAP
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by GAP » Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:09 am

ashover wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:01 am Update: we have track!

Most of the straights anyway. I need a lot of set-track curves and points… 6 in total.

Coming from the 00 world…. I can’t believe the cost of points. It’s looking like £450 just in those?

If anyone has any they’d like to offload I’d certainly appreciate being able to shave the cost a bit!
How adept are you at cutting/grinding/soldering brass.

If it's no problem then I have some plans to make your own points.

I do not use set track I use flexible track because it allows me to make curves of any size radius.
Graeme
From the home of the Ringbalin Light Railway
https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspo ... -page.html

ashover
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by ashover » Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:41 am

Thanks Graeme - I’d certainly be open to learning. I do have a soldering iron at least!
Nicholas J

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:53 am

Agree with Graeme on both counts, plus its cheaper to buy flexitrack than set track and cheaper ( and more satisfying) to build your own pointwork.
Building points is nowhere near as difficult as some folks make it out to be, just get some track gauges and go steady and don't expect to do it in a couple of hours.
Philip

ashover
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by ashover » Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:08 pm

I’d enjoy it I think. Sounds very satisfying!
Does anyone have a good guide I could look over?

Issue with not using set track is I’m confined on space for the loops - and I didn’t want to risk messing up my first ever layout by getting the bends wrong!

Silly question but once the tracks are bent, they do stay bent? My track will be floating on ballast, you see.
Nicholas J

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:50 pm

"Silly question but once the tracks are bent, they do stay bent? My track will be floating on ballast, you see" .

They do if you use a rail-bender, and cut some of the webs between the sleepers.

I also find it 'better' to slightly over-bend the track, as it seems to 'relax', a little, back towards being straight.

My biggest problem, is seeming to get twist into the curves. - This lifts the outer rail (mostly) and we really do not want this. Track should be level across the formation.

Phil.P

GAP
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by GAP » Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:46 am

ashover wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:41 am Thanks Graeme - I’d certainly be open to learning. I do have a soldering iron at least!
The plans are in pdf format and print out on A4 paper which is taped together to get a template of the rails and the sleepers.
I sticky tape it onto a piece of ply and build directly over the template then tear the paper when finished.
I'll just need an email address to send them to.

Bear in mind that they are large (No5 in US speak)
Points Mk1.JPG
Points Mk1.JPG (100.48 KiB) Viewed 4244 times
Points Mk1 Top View.JPG
Points Mk1 Top View.JPG (98.95 KiB) Viewed 4244 times
Points Mk1 Throwbar and Lever.JPG
Points Mk1 Throwbar and Lever.JPG (96.16 KiB) Viewed 4244 times
Graeme
From the home of the Ringbalin Light Railway
https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspo ... -page.html

ashover
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by ashover » Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:04 pm

Much appreciated - thanks Graeme. I sent you a private message.
Nicholas J

ashover
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by ashover » Thu May 18, 2023 9:34 am

Been a little slow lately but hoping to get the groundwork done in the next couple of weeks.

I thought looking for locos might motivate me- especially if I buy one and see it sat there!

The plan is to get an electric (diesel) logo as a kind of test-loco before investing in live steam.
OR, I considered getting a Mamod/MSS as the test loco.

Just a few questions:

Is the Mamod/MSS a bit unruly? I wanted a slow runner - whereas they look a bit wild?!

I'm assuming a more expensive Roundhouse or Accucraft loco is easier to run slower, and longer? I don't know much about them, but assume that they reach higher temps/pressures due to gas firing and possibly they're just more sophisticated?

Many thanks!
Nicholas J

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Thu May 18, 2023 12:30 pm

Aye, a battery loco would be much better than a Mamod/MSS. :lol: They're very much a tinkerer's loco, and take a lot of work to make them run properly.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu May 18, 2023 1:50 pm

Yes, I agree with Aaron, get a battery electric loco for starters/track testing - diesel/electric/steam outline makes no real difference, it's down to your own preferences. Mamod/MSS are relatively cheap but notoriously difficult to get to run well and are a hobby in themselves.
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu May 18, 2023 7:05 pm

I'm all for battery power. As folk will know, I'm not a great fan of live steam. I have nothing against live steam as a concept but the way I run my railway demands slow running and a high level of controllability. For me, locos are the means to an end and not an end in themselves. So, a lot depends on how you want to run your railway.

My thoughts ( but others will have differing views):

Live Steam Locos
  • Like the real thing
  • Satisfying to run
  • Quite expensive
  • Takes a while to learn how to control them
  • Relatively short run time between refuelling
Battery Locos
  • Easy to run (switch on and go)
  • One charge lasts for hours of run time
  • Relatively cheap to get started
  • Good for slow running and fine control
  • You can easily make your own from kits or scratch
  • Less realistic
  • Some say they are less satisfying (but I don't)
Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

ashover
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by ashover » Fri May 19, 2023 8:16 am

Thanks everyone!

Gosh, you’re not wrong about Mamods being a hobby in of themselves! I think the loco would occupy far more time than the railway!

I’ll pick up a diesel for now from somewhere.

And regarding slow running with live steam - that’s achievable with Roundhouse, etc? It seems to be.

Whenever I Google things to do with live steam and slow running I run into Mamod/MSS owners trying to slow theirs down 😁
Nicholas J

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri May 19, 2023 9:20 am

ashover wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:16 am And regarding slow running with live steam - that’s achievable with Roundhouse, etc? It seems to be.
Whenever I Google things to do with live steam and slow running I run into Mamod/MSS owners trying to slow theirs down 😁
I'm probably not the best qualified to answer this question but from what I've seen and heard, the most reliable way to achieve controllability and slow running with a live steam loco is to install a Slomo device, which is, in two effect, a geared flywheel. There are a few impressive YouTube videos around showing Slomo equipped locos in action. Unfortunately, Terry has now ceased production of these devices so you might have to see if you can pick up a secondhand loco with one fitted.

Failing that, Zach on this forum has produced a Momentum Van based on a kids' toy which has the same effect. https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=9667 I can testify as to its effectiveness as he has run a couple of his locos on my railway with the van in tow.

Alternatively, I have seen first hand some really impressive slow running of unmodified live steam locos by accomplished operators. It does take a fair bit of experience to get all the variables perfected but I can see how it would generate a great sense of achievement to be able to control a live steam loco in such a way. From what I understand, some live steam locos are easier to control than others. I believe some Accucraft locos have a good reputation - but others with more knowledge can probably advise with specific examples of the most controllable out of the box live steamers.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube