Re: Jerry Irwin Kit build for FWLR

Post by FWLR » Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:00 pm

It does but you can get it without Andrew :thumbright:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:11 pm

Well I have now done some more on the coach. Sorry it's been some time since I last posted, but I hope you will be pleased with what I have done.

The roof needed some vents, so I got some from Jerry, only right that I should get them isn't it :salute: I painted them with Vallejo Gunmetal, all the paint I have used is Vallejo, there are other makers out there but I prefer Vallejo, either Model Color or Airbrush, they are both excellent paints and the model color goes a very long way when you use thinner medium. The vents are really well made and fitted without any issues, meaning none of those annoying bits of flash or stringing...

tempImageFm0xK6.gif
tempImageFm0xK6.gif (6.41 MiB) Viewed 3496 times

Then I thought something is missing.. :scratch: It was the roundhead bolts for the chassis, so again I got some from Jerry, he very kindly sent me two sizes, 2.5mm and 2mm roundhead bolts and nuts. I only used the 2mm though, they seemed just right for me :dontknow:

tempImageOiEf69.gif
tempImageOiEf69.gif (5.22 MiB) Viewed 3496 times
tempImageG7QZvD.gif
tempImageG7QZvD.gif (4.75 MiB) Viewed 3496 times

So it's finished, or so I thought...I didn't do the underneath axle boxes or the brakes... :roll: It's was a bit, well a lot too fiddly to put them on for me. I have developed a little bit of shaky hands whenever I need to concentrate on placing very small items, (also my left hand thumb's arthritis has got worse. All this cold and wet weather we have been getting recently.)

So they were painted again with the Gunmetal paint, it seems to have done the job... :dontknow:

tempImage78xvRW.gif
tempImage78xvRW.gif (4.55 MiB) Viewed 3496 times
And the completed coach.

tempImagec7Spat.gif
tempImagec7Spat.gif (4.18 MiB) Viewed 3496 times
tempImagex7EZ2B.gif
tempImagex7EZ2B.gif (3.18 MiB) Viewed 3496 times

Conclusion, it's a kit that most will find easy enough and for those who are still a bit wary of building kits, this one of Jerry Irwin's is the easiest I have come across. If you are a bit daunted you needed worry, Jerry does do some videos on how to build his kits on YouTube and if you follow them you will find it a lot easier than just stumbling along thinking how and where does this go :scratch:
I have tried in my own way, done this to show how easy they are, even if I have left some photos out, sorry. And I forgot to do some basic things and left out the bolts for the chassis and under carriage, but hopefully you will not. Also paint all your parts first, except for the last two items of the chassis, you don't need to paint the other parts of the chassis because you don't see them. The reason I paint mine is because the super glue no matter how careful you are won't let you paint over it that well, it happens with whatever you build. I only use a sewing pin when I super glue anything, but that still doesn't stop it seeping out slightly.

You will enjoy building Jerry's kits and hopefully you will be has proud as I am with mine. I am glad I bought this kit and you will too. The prices are excellent too by the way. :thumbright:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:18 pm

Very well done Rod, you should feel proud of yourself. The additional detailing parts make it come alive and despite your shaky fingers they are all well placed.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:57 pm

Very well done, Rod. Congrats.
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:38 pm

That looks excellent! A credit not only to Jerry's kit but also your careful construction techniques.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:47 am

Thank you guys, although it's taken me a lot longer than most I am pleased with the build.
And like I say Jerry's kits are of very good quality and his service is second to none. He went beyond most providers, also the quality of the wood he uses is also superb. It's well worth investing in one or two of his kits, you won't be disappointed.

I don't have any connection with this provider, just a very satisfied customer.

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:06 am

Great build. Very nice kit, lovely finish, brilliant explanation of the build.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:05 pm

Very nice - such a smart livery!

I really like the little guard proudly showing off his new carriage too!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:44 am

SimonWood wrote: ↑Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:06 am Great build. Very nice kit, lovely finish, brilliant explanation of the build.
Thanks Simon,

I tried to make it a bit easier for anyone who hasn't done any kit builds before and also maybe even the more experienced builder if they build any of Jerry's kits.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:46 am

Andrew wrote: ↑Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:05 pm Very nice - such a smart livery!

I really like the little guard proudly showing off his new carriage too!
Thanks Andrew,

Anne choose the colours, I do think they work well.

The guard was bought some years ago, I did acquire the dog in November and it works I think with the guard... :thumbright: