This weekend I have been mostly building....Gravity Griff wagon

What is your latest project?
philipy

Re: This weekend I have been mostly building..... a talyllyn covered van

Post by philipy » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:15 pm

Nice little van, looking forward to seeing the finished job. Which kit is it?

Simon-m
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Simon-m » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:21 pm

Hi Phil

It's a ip Engineering kit from there Talyllyn range with ip couplings poached from one of the Talyllyn coach kits I have.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:35 pm

Very nice! I like all the vehicles, but particularly that little van. I can see why the prospect of bending that roof to shape alarmed you, but it looks just right.

You've got a very nice mixed rake there, I look forward to seeing picture of the whole train...

All the best,

Andrew.

Simon-m
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Simon-m » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:57 pm

Cheers Andrew, I've a few more Talyllyn wagons to make before I stock up on some more bits. Not sure what yet, maybe some more coaches, freelance.

Simon-m
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: This weekend I have been mostly building..... a Brunel models, Chelfham station

Post by Simon-m » Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:26 am

I started Chelfham station about 18 months ago & then it just stopped. Its been sat needing finishing so I have made a start to get it finished. I wanted a more Welsh look to it & so I picked up from Coach & Wagon, a slate paint set. I've only used 2 of the 5 colours to paint the slate work using dry brushing to alter the tone. I've still some parts of the walling to complete but it's getting there.
20220227_092012.jpg
20220227_091950.jpg
I'm going to re visit this once it's basically completed. I want to add an interior & some lights so I can take a few shots at night of it lit up with a fairlie out front.

Simon-m
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: This weekend I have been mostly building..... a Brunel models, Chelfham station

Post by Simon-m » Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:45 am

I primed the roof last night. I still have to paint it up so it is more slate looking.

Expensive, but very nice now it's coming together.
20220227_094339.jpg

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:30 pm

That really does look good. The stonework is especially nicely done.
Simon-m wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:26 am
. .......I want to add an interior & some lights so I can take a few shots at night of it lit up with a fairlie out front.
Funny you should say that .........
https://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... ation.html

After all that work I put it on eBay ...... frustratingly, I only got £16 for it :(

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Simon-m
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Simon-m » Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:21 pm

16 quid, I'd be fuming!

That's a lovely piece of modelling too, with some nice touches. That planking on the wall & floors looks superb. I might give that a try on my own model & then it's full decorated. The table is a nice addition also.

My model is for the garden but like all the stock it'll be kept inside. I've 4 cats that roam my garden so I do not fancy my lovely station smelling of cat.

I wasn't sure at first with the stonework & did a wash in the pointing on the addition porch section at the back. It made the whole thing too 1 dimensional so kept it as is. It's a little bright but I'm not that good a painter to get it to knock back. It's perfectly acceptable though & I'm sure once set amongst the greenery of the garden it'll look the part.

I'd highly recommend a Brunel kit although they are expensive.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:09 pm

I'm very impressed that both of you have (or intend) to devote so much time to interior detail. I recall that Philipy even made a fireplace with glowing coals for his station.
I was happy to fake it, I'm afraid. I drew interiors in my drawing package (Macromedia Fireworks) and printed them onto waterproof labelling stock, and stuck them to the walls. I have lit them, so they are just visible, as the first photo shows. The second photo is the ticket office rear wall printed ready to be applied.
20171019_142910.jpg
IMG_20200623_181618246_HDR-01.jpeg
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - viewtopic.php?f=41&t=11077

gregh
Fireman
Fireman

Post by gregh » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:48 pm

That's beautiful modelling Simon.

It can be fulfilling and a lot of fun modelling interiors, but I found it quickly became boring when nobody really saw it. It was more a case of "I proved I can do it once, that's enough".
I like your idea of printing Lonsdaler.
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:59 pm

Lonsdaler wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:09 pm
I recall that Philipy even made a fireplace with glowing coals for his station.
yep and its still working down the garden, even though the dog has destroyed all the platform lamps that I did at the same time.
Lonsdaler wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:09 pm

I was happy to fake it, I'm afraid. I drew interiors in my drawing package (Macromedia Fireworks) and printed them onto waterproof labelling stock, and stuck them to the walls. I have lit them, so they are just visible, as the first photo shows. The second photo is the ticket office rear wall printed ready to be applied.
I did much the same with my junction signal box, which is actually there to contain the points servo's. I put a false plasticard wall just behind the windows and stuck a picture to it, of a signalman holding the levers. From the outside, you can see 'something' without really noticing what.

Simon-m
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Simon-m » Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:37 pm

That's an interesting way of detailing the interior. I'm absolutely crap with computers so wouldn't know how or where to start.

As I had been enjoying painting I decided to try my hand at a figure. Not something I've ever done before. I primed the figure 12 months ago & so it's had plenty of time to harden off.

I'm very happy with my efforts for a first attempt.
20220301_192553.jpg
It fits well in the Bole lasercraft ruston I built. I really need to finish it off with a bit of subtle weathering.

20220301_192912.jpg

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:26 pm

Thats a nice paint job on the driver.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:41 pm

You have brought out the detail nicely on that - you cearly have a steady hand! :thumbup:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - viewtopic.php?f=41&t=11077

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:54 pm

Having tried making my own figures with Fimo - I recognise the skill involved - a rather fine looking bloke!!

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube