This weekend I have been mostly building....Gravity Griff wagon

What is your latest project?
Simon-m
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: This weekend I have been mostly building....Slaters slate wagons

Post by Simon-m » Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:58 pm

It was my 40th birthday on Friday (1st April) & I took a trip down to that well known engineering firm in Doncaster to collect 1 loco. Another arrived in the post the following day.

I've been very lucky to get one of this years just finished Palmeston locos from Roundhouse in brunswick green which I had hoped for.
20220401_135330.jpg
20220401_135330.jpg (3.69 MiB) Viewed 6016 times
Shes been interesting to fire & get running but with care she steams well. If your thinking of buying one my tip is to light it from under the cylinders not the chimney, keep the gas really low & the cab roof off until the burner settles down. Then turn up the gas.

I also treated myself to a accucraft cranmore peckett. It has no relevance what so ever to Wales but hey ho it's my 40th & I love the peckett works livery.
20220402_142626.jpg
20220402_142626.jpg (3.82 MiB) Viewed 6016 times
Shes been a lovely steamer from the word go & I would recommend one to anyone.

My wife passed me a few swift sixteen kits she got me as a gift & I've added a few more to the fleet with money given for my birthday. Its been a railway related 40th & rather expensive but your only 40 once.

My small garden railway is finally going to get its own brake van which I'm planning on doing with custom transfers & some nice details to finish off & maybe even lights.

As always I will keep you posted.

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:27 pm

Simon-m wrote: ↑Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:58 pmmy tip is to light it from under the cylinders not the chimney
Always the best way to do it. Put the flame where the heavier-than-air gas is, not where it might be.
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:04 pm

Happy Birthday!

My 40th was supposed to be railway-themed, with a family ride on the Severn Valley, but my daughter was under the weather, and we couldn't risk my Grandma's health, so it had to be postponed - come to think of it, it still hasn't happened, maybe we'll do it for my 50th in three years' time?! Because we were going to eat on the train we'd got no food in the house, so I spent the day trudging round the shops in the rain, but had a really good day. There's a lesson there, somewhere...

Nice to see another England on the Forum - I'll be steaming mine at Easter... And the Peckett's just lovely...

All the best,

Andrew.

Simon-m
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Simon-m » Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:52 am

Thanks Andrew it was a great weekend, I'm just about recovered from a few choice drinks.

Unfortunately the England is going back to Roundhouse, it has issues. It will not stay lit, I can get it to light but it soon goes out & will not re light. Gas is hissing from the burner but it will no light. I have run it once but a slight breeze & its out. Most of my roundhouse engines run in heavy wind & my accucraft peckett would keep going in a hurricane.

I hope its back before Easter as I'm on holiday & I want a steam up.

Simon-m
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: This weekend I have been mostly building....Gravity Griff wagon

Post by Simon-m » Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:43 am

With the weekend looming all was not well in our house. Our children have all had a sickness bug that's taken half the school with it & many of very ill. Well sods law & all that, my wife starts Friday too.

Thankfully I'm the only one who's not suffered its wrath which I am pleased about. After caring for them all saturday afternoon, they all had an early night & so rather than twiddle my thumbs I set about a loco remote Gravity Griff Ffestiniog slate wagon by Locoremote.

I think I was rather lucky with this one because I don't think he is doing anymore & it's a quirky wagon. I've actually been thinking for sometime before I came along this kit as to how I could make a gravity wagon work with remote control.

The kit is rather simple with all the bits slotting into various bits of the chassis or body. All the wires are pre soldered (extra cost) & its all designed to fit inside the slate load. It's got a clavey models figure specially designed for the kit added on to make it realistic. The model is also sound fitted for the distinct trumpet sound you hear when the gravity train is running.
20220409_203349.jpg
20220409_203349.jpg (1.79 MiB) Viewed 5857 times
I plan to get a bit of primer on the various parts today so I can spray it up & weather it. I will keep you posted.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:30 am

That looks really nice so far, most impressed by the quality and detail of the figure as well.
Once you've finished it we need a bit of video with sound of it running, even if just down a spare length of track!
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:55 am

philipy wrote: ↑Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:30 am That looks really nice so far, most impressed by the quality and detail of the figure as well.
Once you've finished it we need a bit of video with sound of it running, even if just down a spare length of track!
I was wondering about the figure as well. Is it cast resin or resin printed?

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:13 am

The figure is a Richard Clavey product but I couldn't tell whether this is printed or moulded. I've purchased the same one together with the gravity waggon and 3 more slate waggons. You are slightly ahead of me in production - i.e. I've opened the box!πŸ˜‚
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:25 pm

Lonsdaler wrote: ↑Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:13 am The figure is a Richard Clavey product but I couldn't tell whether this is printed or moulded. I've purchased the same one together with the gravity waggon and 3 more slate waggons. You are slightly ahead of me in production - i.e. I've opened the box!πŸ˜‚
I'd never heard of Richard Clavey so I did a search and it came up with DAVID Clavey Models on ebay.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/clavey.models
If you look at the details on the listing for the brakeman it gives links for the wagon, etc.
Philip

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:54 pm

philipy wrote: ↑Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:25 pm
Lonsdaler wrote: ↑Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:13 am The figure is a Richard Clavey product but I couldn't tell whether this is printed or moulded. I've purchased the same one together with the gravity waggon and 3 more slate waggons. You are slightly ahead of me in production - i.e. I've opened the box!πŸ˜‚
I'd never heard of Richard Clavey so I did a search and it came up with DAVID Clavey Models on ebay.
If you look at the details on the listing for the brakeman it gives links for the wagon, etc.
OopsπŸ€¦πŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ You're right, of course.
Phil

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:17 am

Thanks for the link. In the descriptions it says .....

This figure has been 3D printed by my CLAVEY models print factory, then manually finished and manually sprayed with primer coat ready for painting with Acrylic paint.

Given the crispness and level of detail they must be resin printed. Presumably they have been scanned from real people....

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:20 pm

Now you have done it!

I need to find someone with some spare 3D print-time, to print me a "Windy".
:dontknow: :D

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:22 pm

ge_rik wrote: ↑Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:17 am
Thanks for the link. In the descriptions it says .....

This figure has been 3D printed by my CLAVEY models print factory, then manually finished and manually sprayed with primer coat ready for painting with Acrylic paint.

Given the crispness and level of detail they must be resin printed. Presumably they have been scanned from real people....

Rik
Well observed Rik. I either didn't read the small print, or have forgotten the detail. This thread has at least prompted me to make a start on building the purchased kits.
Phil

dclavey
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by dclavey » Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:58 am

Hi yes, I am David Clavey and produced loads of different models for the Gravity Griff as "Clavey Models"

You can find me on Facebook and Ebay.

www.ebay.co.uk/usr/clavey.models

CLAVEY Models is owned by David Clavey, creating 3D drawings of Garden Rail parts and 3D Printing them in the UK. I belong to the Association of 16mm Narrow Gauge Modellers SM32/45. But also run g gauge o gauge and 7/8ths model in my Garden
CLAVEY Models is owned by David Clavey, creating 3D drawings of Garden Rail parts and 3D Printing them in the UK. I belong to the Association of 16mm Narrow Gauge Modellers SM32/45. But also run g gauge o gauge and 7/8ths models in my Garden.

David

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:00 pm

Hi David and welcome.

You've certainly created quite a following for the gravity griff on here already!
Philip

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:09 pm

dclavey wrote: ↑Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:58 am Hi yes, I am David Clavey and produced loads of different models for the Gravity Griff as "Clavey Models"

You can find me on Facebook and Ebay.

www.ebay.co.uk/usr/clavey.models

CLAVEY Models is owned by David Clavey, creating 3D drawings of Garden Rail parts and 3D Printing them in the UK. I belong to the Association of 16mm Narrow Gauge Modellers SM32/45. But also run g gauge o gauge and 7/8ths model in my Garden
Dave, just looked at you ebay page, and I think I have found the driver I want, however this is for G45 1:22.5, your page says they are available in other sizes, but how do I order one, many thanks.

dclavey
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by dclavey » Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:49 pm

I can rescale no problem

David
CLAVEY Models is owned by David Clavey, creating 3D drawings of Garden Rail parts and 3D Printing them in the UK. I belong to the Association of 16mm Narrow Gauge Modellers SM32/45. But also run g gauge o gauge and 7/8ths models in my Garden.

David

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Sat May 14, 2022 4:48 pm

dclavey wrote: ↑Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:49 pm I can rescale no problem

David
Just received my re-scaled 1:22.5 (75mm high) figure very impressed.
IMG_1401.jpg
IMG_1401.jpg (630.68 KiB) Viewed 4756 times
IMG_1403.jpg
IMG_1403.jpg (627.7 KiB) Viewed 4756 times
IMG_1405.jpg
IMG_1405.jpg (500.14 KiB) Viewed 4756 times

dclavey
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by dclavey » Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:47 pm

Very nice

David