Shuntomatic System 3000 - 2022 edition

What is your latest project?
Andrew

Re: Shuntomatic System 3000 - 2022 edition

Post by Andrew » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:28 am

philipy wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:14 pm
Andrew wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:34 pm the first two virtual runs have necessitated the use of the two wagons I've not built yet,....- I'd better crack on with those!
No time for wagon building... too busy playing virtual trains! :lol: :lol:
There may be some truth in that - although, I did buy myself a beautiful new jigsaw at the weekend, so I'm all ready to cut out the parts for the meat van that I drew onto ply a couple of months ago. It's progress, of a sort...

Andrew

Re: Shunt-O-Matic System 3000/1 - 2022 edition

Post by Andrew » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:56 am

BertieB wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:39 pm Not too much scope in my back garden to use System 3000 sadly (limited rolling stock and no actual destinations served) but perhaps the developers might deliver a simplified add-on — System 3000/1, Determining the most appropriate serviceable locomotive.

I’ll be wanting to link it to my website, so I can have fun with the branding and contrive an excuse to introduce pleasing robot images (I’m focusing on what’s important here).
That's outside of Shunt-o-Matic's remit, I fear - that avoids attempting to choose suitable locos altogether, largely because I haven't really go any. I might just manage it with the Slomo-fitted Russell, but I think it's really a job for battery powered locos, and neither of the current ones are at all realistic for the WHR - it's something I really must get round to...

I think what you need for your task is Shed-a-Tron, the robot Shed Master that was actually the only original proposal of the 1954 BR Modernisation Plan. That plan had to be doctored significantly in a cover-up operation when the prototype Shed-a-Tron went rogue, accidentally scrapping 18,000 steam locos with the death ray designed to deter schoolboy trainspotters, and necessitating the hasty purchase of often unsuitable diesel and electric locos in their place.

Alas, the next version was even worse... In recognition of the PR disaster that Shed-a-Tron had been, the powers that be decided to give the next version the least offensive name imaginable, and to dress it up in the guise of human - they opted for the avuncular "Richard", and managed to provide the new robot with a vaguely passable likeness of a rather supercilious bank manager. As history records, this one was only finally stopped when it had ripped up a third of the rail network, in the process having become the inspiration for a whole genre of dystopian "the machines have taken over" films, such as Terminator and The Matrix, and given rise to the conspiracy theory that, in fact, humanity is now reduced to nothing more than an organic steam heating boiler round the back of Willesden engine shed, while our robot overlords spend their time merrily recreating their favourite scenes from Thomas the Tank Engine amid the smouldering remnants of civilisation.

I hope that helps?

Andrew.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:45 am

Andrew wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:56 am
BertieB wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:39 pm Not too much scope in my back garden to use System 3000 sadly (limited rolling stock and no actual destinations served) but perhaps the developers might deliver a simplified add-on — System 3000/1, Determining the most appropriate serviceable locomotive.

I’ll be wanting to link it to my website, so I can have fun with the branding and contrive an excuse to introduce pleasing robot images (I’m focusing on what’s important here).
That's outside of Shunt-o-Matic's remit, I fear - that avoids attempting to choose suitable locos altogether, largely because I haven't really go any. I might just manage it with the Slomo-fitted Russell, but I think it's really a job for battery powered locos, and neither of the current ones are at all realistic for the WHR - it's something I really must get round to...

I think what you need for your task is Shed-a-Tron, the robot Shed Master that was actually the only original proposal of the 1954 BR Modernisation Plan. That plan had to be doctored significantly in a cover-up operation when the prototype Shed-a-Tron went rogue, accidentally scrapping 18,000 steam locos with the death ray designed to deter schoolboy trainspotters, and necessitating the hasty purchase of often unsuitable diesel and electric locos in their place.

Alas, the next version was even worse... In recognition of the PR disaster that Shed-a-Tron had been, the powers that be decided to give the next version the least offensive name imaginable, and to dress it up in the guise of human - they opted for the avuncular "Richard", and managed to provide the new robot with a vaguely passable likeness of a rather supercilious bank manager. As history records, this one was only finally stopped when it had ripped up a third of the rail network, in the process having become the inspiration for a whole genre of dystopian "the machines have taken over" films, such as Terminator and The Matrix, and given rise to the conspiracy theory that, in fact, humanity is now reduced to nothing more than an organic steam heating boiler round the back of Willesden engine shed, while our robot overlords spend their time merrily recreating their favourite scenes from Thomas the Tank Engine amid the smouldering remnants of civilisation.

I hope that helps?

Andrew.
Are you okay Andrew? Have a lie down in a darkened room and sip some camomile tea...😂
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Re: Shed-a-Tron

Post by BertieB » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:23 pm

Andrew wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:56 am "...humanity now reduced to nothing more than an organic steam heating boiler round the back of Willesden shed... amid the smouldering remnants of civilisation..."
Oh, Wow. This is the sort of stuff I want to hear about! Thorough and detailed — you need to update Wikipedia.

But I must have already signed up. Shed-a-Tron / Supercilious Richard* will have been behind the recent ruthless clear out here at semi-scale BR, coincidently transforming, perhaps, what survives into a future heritage attraction (and offering the scope, for example, to run inappropriate locomotives like Caledonian Sleeper 73s).

(*I’ve seen the videos)

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:30 pm

Lonsdaler wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:45 am Have a lie down in a darkened room and sip some camomile tea...😂
It's too much time in darkened rooms that's the problem, I need to get outside!

That not being an option, this lunchtime I ran some more virtual trains instead...

Day Four turned out to be rather quieter than previous ones. The FR closed van was back, ready for that pending load of flour, and on top of that I rolled a two, and drew load cards requiring more meat and manure for Penlan - nothing for Clarach today. It's going to be a quirky train, three vans (including brake van 4 for the first time) and small open number 56, all in different colours - one each in red, maroon, grey and off-white. The brake and meat vans will be an interesting comparison, because both are conversions of FR quarrymen's carriages.

The return load is a light one - a coal wagon from Clarach, and the dropside of granite from Penlan, which makes for a jolly little train with the bright red brake van on the rear.

Day Four.jpg
Day Four.jpg (47.91 KiB) Viewed 4755 times

Things get busier again on Day Five when I roll a six. I was a little concerned that my paper load cards were sticking together and perhaps skewing the result (they need to be laminated, or on card), so I allocated each a number and used an online random number generator instead - which is when things got really weird - three loads of coal for Clarach... In addition to the bogie open and coal wagon for that, our train will consist of a bogie flat for timber from Penlan - the other two cards had to go into the pending pile because they require the brine tank and meat van, AGAIN, and those are both still sitting in sidings. They come back on today's return working, which is of the longest permitted length, also featuring the timber bolsters plus two four wheel and one bogie open wagon. We're back to garden shed lookalike WHR brake van 2 today, incidentally...

Day Five.jpg
Day Five.jpg (49.22 KiB) Viewed 4755 times

More fun and games tomorrow, maybe... Will the Ffestiniog coal wagon finally get an outing? Will the hotel at Clarach need yet more brine? Can the internet bear the suspense??!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:10 pm

BertieB wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:23 pm
Andrew wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:56 am "...humanity now reduced to nothing more than an organic steam heating boiler round the back of Willesden shed... amid the smouldering remnants of civilisation..."
Oh, Wow. This is the sort of stuff I want to hear about! Thorough and detailed — you need to update Wikipedia.

But I must have already signed up. Shed-a-Tron / Supercilious Richard* will have been behind the recent ruthless clear out here at semi-scale BR, coincidently transforming, perhaps, what survives into a future heritage attraction (and offering the scope, for example, to run inappropriate locomotives like Caledonian Sleeper 73s).

(*I’ve seen the videos)
Like you say, focusing on what's important...

I hope the death ray hasn't been wielded too liberally, I really enjoy your collection of locos and stock - I want to see more of it, not less!

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:12 pm

I'm stuck in "Nid"..
When will there be a local passenger service?

Preferably, with a connection for Mornington Crescent..

Though this idea for generating traffic movements, is proving fascinating..
:thumbleft:

Phil.P

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:01 am

Andrew wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:10 pm “I hope the death ray hasn't been wielded too liberally,…”
Thank you. If I want to make new stuff (and I am) it’s prudent not to leave earlier examples provocatively scattered about all over the house, I find. The front room “is not a workshop”.

A lot has gone — but the new stuff will, of course, be much better.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:19 pm

BertieB wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:01 am
Andrew wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:10 pm “I hope the death ray hasn't been wielded too liberally,…”
Thank you. If I want to make new stuff (and I am) it’s prudent not to leave earlier examples provocatively scattered about all over the house, I find. The front room “is not a workshop”.

A lot has gone — but the new stuff will, of course, be much better.
I hope you haven't discarded any favourites😱
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:26 pm

Another day, another lunchtime, and another chance to run some pretend trains.

Much like the others, Day Six dawned bright and clear, next door's yappy and train-hating dog was nowhere in sight, and the track was in tip-top condition, so zero chance of a derailment...

The dice decreed four wagonloads would be required, to cater for coal, flour and timber at Penlan and, alas, the body of a poor deceased miner from Clarach slate quarry. In addition, there were pending loads of meat and brine, so it was a full train that headed up the line, and one with a strong complement of Ffestiniog wagons - the timber bolsters, brine wagon and hearse, plus Ffestiniog brake van number 5, which was used in the early days of the real Welsh Highland.

Luckily, the rules dictate that the hearse must return by the same train, otherwise we'd have been out of room in the short siding at Clarach, now occupied by a big bogie open and four-wheel coal wagon, both being unloaded, and the newly-arrived brine wagon. The return train is rather shorter, just the hearse, FR van 101 and one of the small WHR opens.

Day Six.jpg
Day Six.jpg (114.69 KiB) Viewed 4685 times

Demand is low-ish again on Day Seven: three wagon-loads of coal, all for Penlan. I'm sorely-tempted to come up with a pretext for employing as-yet un-used FR coal wagon 18, but I stick to my own rules for now (tweaks can come later) and WHR open number 70 joins a bogie open in the train. The FR brake brings up the rear again - there must be something up with the WHR's own ones!

The other bogie open forms part of a charmingly mixed return train, which also features a flat wagon with a timber load, an empty coal truck and meat van Number 1 - that's seeing an awful lot of use for a vehicle never photographed in use on the real Welsh Highland (as far as I know...), the good folk of Penlan clearly aren't participating in Veganuary...

Day Seven.jpg
Day Seven.jpg (99.15 KiB) Viewed 4685 times

More tomorrow, maybe...

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:44 pm

Fascinating stuff ........ 👍

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube