How long is your backlog?

What is your latest project?
Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

How long is your backlog?

Post by Old Man Aaron » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:26 am

After ordering a wagon kit from Swift16 today, I cleared-out the cupboards and took stock of what wagon projects I currently have part-completed.
I was shocked to find there are 53!
Granted, 40 of those are the cane trucks, (to be finished by year's end) but it's a timely reminder, not to start any more projects until this forgotten backlog is mostly cleared. There's also two live steamers and eight battery locos, to be built or rebuilt.

How many projects do you have in the pipeline?
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How long is your backlog?

Post by ge_rik » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:19 pm

I think my backlog is just four projects ....
  • A Southwold Cleminson open wagon ( printed and constructed but awaiting wheelsets ordered at the start of October)
  • Another Bachmann Lyn based loco (Only just finished my second Lyn conversion, so need a breather)
  • Another Southwold 6-wheeled coach (half printed - but also awaiting wheelsets)
  • Level crossings x 2 (Gates printed and painted but need to do the landscaping outside for them - ie approach roads and crossings)
However, I have around two A4 pages on my ongoing todo list of repairs, improvements, tweaks, developments and ideas - which I slowly get around to...

And, of course, there's that other list which is given to me by 'er indoors

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:31 pm

My answer has to be, None!
I only ever build one thing at a time, because I can't abide having anything part completed and once I start something I go at it day and night until it's finished.

The only exceptions being an unstarted resin building kit and half a dozen coach kits that were 'forced' on me as gifts that I didn't actually want but don't dare get rid of, and are currently somewhere up in the loft out of sight and mind.
Philip

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:54 pm

I am by no means bragging, quite the reverse actually, but I have way too much to count, large storage containers full of kits of mainly loco's and some wagons, coaches etc. That's not including the huge amount of CAD work lined up to do and then the building of all those too. It's actually quite disheartening as I only do it for myself and a couple of close friends and the backlog is just beyond belief, I prefer not to think about it. There is no way I would take it up professionally like Peter did (RIP), as I think it would drive me to an early one too :oops: It can really take the fun out of it to be honest. :shock:
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:09 am

-steves- wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:54 pm There is no way I would take it up professionally like Peter did (RIP), as I think it would drive me to an early one too :oops: It can really take the fun out of it to be honest. :shock:
When I first started writing on here about my 3-d printing experiences, quite a few people suggested that I should start selling things and creating kits. I remember back then saying it would take all the fun out of things and I wasn't really interested, so I totally understand and agree with what you have said. Although along the way, I have done a few smallish print jobs for people simply because the particular project interested me, and because in one way or another I felt it would pay off by giving me expertise and/or knowledge.
Philip

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:23 am

Said the same thing to a mate, when he suggested selling wagon kits. Funny how everyone thinks there's a large enough market to make it worthwhile.. :roll:
Agreed, soon as there's obligation involved, all pleasure goes out the window.
I know how you feel, Steve - the 2ft gauge line I occasionally work at, is much the same. Just need to keep your head down and plod along, chipping away at the list without paying much or any mind to it's length, doing all possible to avoid adding to it. :oops: :oops:
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:44 am

Sorry, I'm a little behind in commenting on this thread, but I've been thinking about it a lot!

My problem was how to define the backlog... I have a bad habit of dreaming up a project, buying a few bits for it, and then shelving it, often for so long I can no longer find the bits, or end up using them for something else! I also start things then go back to the drawing board - so are those projects part of the backlog, or not? And what about ones I've put a lot of thought and research into, but have yet to make physical progress?

Anyway, the list of things I've actually started looks like this, in no particular order...
  • "Scaled" BR ventilated van - started for my aborted Chocolate Factory layout and relatively nearly finished, will go on eBay when it is...

Detailing my Regner Konrad - Started years ago! I've now half-finished a tender, need to finish it and then paint that and the loco.

Detailing Baldwin 590 - Need to finish the half-complete vac pipes, sort out the couplings, add a driver and weather.

3 carriages - FR Van 5, the "Mystery carriage" (both maybe over halfway finished?) and a Hudson toastrack, half complete but untouched for a decade!

Ffestiniog Van 154 - started last week, just a wooden shell at the moment.

WHR Van 1 - also started last week, but currently just some drawings on a sheet of plywood!

2 x NWNGR slate wagons - chassis built, but they're wonky, so probably need to go back to start again.

Kerr Stuart diesel - I've made some drawings and bought some bits, including the RH Hercules that will power it. This one really needs to move up the list...

NWNGR station building - Currently back on the drawing board, but I've started this one at least twice, so I'm putting it on the list!
I think that's all! I really shouldn't start anything new, particularly as there's also a large maintenance backlog, but sometimes something new is the thing that sparks the imagination and provides the energy to keep the show on the road...

Cheers all,

Andrew.

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:05 am

Old Man Aaron can get all his pending rollings stock projects on one bench? I don't just have stuff I've forgotten I have stuff in places I've forgotten.

About half way through the lockdowns I set myself a task of clearing my buildings backlog and this was quite successful and my 2021 open day gave me the opportunity to display them.
I offered to pass on a number of kits, bits and bobs etc. on behalf of the family of a G scale member who had passed on. I was left with them when the 16mm Ass show had no members sale this year. I pulled my finger out just a little and made up and adapted some stuff rather than put it all into a 'pending project box'. But I came home from the show with two more kits that whetted my appetite but I had to struggle to find room on my railway for. One is still in its raw resin state.

Perhaps Philipy can help forum members by encouraging some self discipline and preventing many of us becoming hoarders? :oops: :oops:
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:58 am

andymctractor wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:05 am Perhaps Philipy can help forum members by encouraging some self discipline and preventing many of us becoming hoarders? :oops: :oops:
Like some sort of online self-help group?! Sounds good to me, my approach sounds similar to yours Andy!

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:17 pm

andymctractor wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:05 am
Perhaps Philipy can help forum members by encouraging some self discipline and preventing many of us becoming hoarders? :oops: :oops:
For me, I think it is mainly a result of having very limited cash in my earlier years, so it required serious effort to be able to justify buying almost anything that wasn't absolutely necessary for the family and that became a habit that has lasted. :cry:

Clearly the only answer to Andy's point is that that every time any of you consider buying anything, you simply send the money to me instead! :lol: :lol: :thankyouyellow
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:44 pm

philipy wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:17 pm
Clearly the only answer to Andy's point is that that every time any of you consider buying anything, you simply send the money to me instead!
Sounds like the start of a GRF Ponzi scheme - we're all going to be stinking rich!!!

Simon-m
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Simon-m » Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:30 pm

I've a fleet of wagons all built but awaiting the paint shop. Apart from that I am a slow burner with coaches. I've at least 4 coaches that are at various stages of completion.

Wagons I can knock together pretty qui key but coaches just drag on a bit & it takes me a while to finish them off. I always get about 85% done then loose the drive to finish them off.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:19 pm

The only explanation I can offer for my formidable backlog is "the path to hell is paved with good intentions". If I don't start on a project as soon as I buy it, it is condemned to languish for eternity in the purgatory of 'bought but not started' or 'started but not finished'.😅
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077