kits for broken screw mounts?

What is your latest project?
mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

kits for broken screw mounts?

Post by mymodeltrain » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:10 am

I did some maintenance for the locomotives today, and I found a few screw mounts either crack or totally broken. I wonder if there is a kit available for patching up these broken screw mounts?

philipy

Re: kits for broken screw mounts?

Post by philipy » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:52 am

Not altogether sure I understand what you mean by "screw mounts" ?
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:28 am

Is it the sockets into which self tapping screws go? A couple of photos might help.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by mymodeltrain » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:14 pm

philipy wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:52 am Not altogether sure I understand what you mean by "screw mounts" ?
I attach herein a photo of a broken screw mount
screw mount.tif
screw mount.tif (2.36 MiB) Viewed 3751 times

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:19 pm

Thanks,unfortunately the forum software won't display .tif files, but I've downloaded it and this is it converted to a jpg
screw mount.jpg
screw mount.jpg (101.4 KiB) Viewed 3746 times
I can see what your problem is and it isn't uncommon, I've seen the same thing myself many times. I'm not aware of any commercial repair kit unfortunately, because every one of those posts is a different diameter.
A suggestion which may help, though :
Firstly I'd hold the split sections tightly together and put a tiny spot of glue on the crack - plastic cement if it is solvent gluable, or superglue if not - as a temporaray job, then once that has given you a temporary repair, cut a small length of brass tube to slide over it and pack it with epoxy or a suitable filler - just be careful not to get the epoxy into the hole! I've used this method myself and it does work as long as there is room for the extra diameter of the brass sleeve.

Or, If you have the means, you could just turn suitable sized collar to be an interference fit over the top.
Philip

mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by mymodeltrain » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:10 am

philipy wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:19 pm Thanks,unfortunately the forum software won't display .tif files, but I've downloaded it and this is it converted to a jpg
screw mount.jpg

I can see what your problem is and it isn't uncommon, I've seen the same thing myself many times. I'm not aware of any commercial repair kit unfortunately, because every one of those posts is a different diameter.
Firstly I'd hold the split sections tightly together and put a tiny spot of glue on the crack - plastic cement if it is solvent gluable, or superglue if not - as a temporaray job, then once that has given you a temporary repair, cut a small length of brass tube to slide over it and pack it with epoxy or a suitable filler - just be careful not to get the epoxy into the hole! I've used this method myself and it does work as long as there is room for the extra diameter of the brass sleeve.

Or, If you have the means, you could just turn suitable sized collar to be an interference fit over the top.
Thanks for converting it into a JPG format so the photo can be displayed appropriately.
I thought all over, one of the approaches I will try is to find an old printer where I can cut to remove the screw mounts and will use these to glue on top of the base of the broken ones from the locomotives. Further, I may think to use heat shrink to hold 2 parts together. With superglue and heat shrink, I guess they can hold the screws in good shape. I will try sometime soon.

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:32 am

A crude (but quick) method:
A drop of glue in the crack, and clamp the parts together.
Mix some epoxy adhesive. Work this round the post then tie / wrap a few turns of button thread, around the post, in the epoxy..
Add a little more epoxy over the thread.
Leave to cure, at least 24 hours.

Phil.P

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:08 am

I have had a few of these, first I find a plastistrut tube that fits over the mount and cut to length, assuming it will not interfere with re-assembly, I the fill the screw hole and crack with plastic filler, and glue on the plastic ring. I normally leave 24 hrs and then pilot drill out the hole, and then re-tap with a self tapper (before assembly). I would show you photos but they are all assembled.

mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by mymodeltrain » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:26 am

philipy wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:19 pm Thanks,unfortunately the forum software won't display .tif files, but I've downloaded it and this is it converted to a jpg
screw mount.jpg

Good idea, I would try sometime

mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by mymodeltrain » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:27 am

Jimmyb wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:08 am I have had a few of these, first I find a plastistrut tube that fits over the mount and cut to length, assuming it will not interfere with re-assembly, I the fill the screw hole and crack with plastic filler, and glue on the plastic ring. I normally leave 24 hrs and then pilot drill out the hole, and then re-tap with a self tapper (before assembly). I would show you photos but they are all assembled.
Yes, I wish if you could load the photos.

Boustrophedon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Boustrophedon » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:23 pm

I have had this problem with everything from electric drills and TV remotes to an Accucraft Baguley Drewry. My customary fix is to bind the end of the post with cotton or polyester sewing thread and then let super glue soak into the thread to produce a strong composite reinforcement.

If the thread is stripped, fill the hole with epoxy and re-drill it.