PATRICA ANNE TENDER BUILD

What is your latest project?
FWLR
Driver
Driver

PATRICA ANNE TENDER BUILD

Post by FWLR » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:17 pm

Well it has taken a few weeks, about 10 or so to be precise, but I have finally finished the build to some extent. I hope it has the members approval with their vastly superior knowledge, it has been a real labour of love. I wanted to build a tender for "Patrice Anne" for some time now. Pretty much about 6 months after buying her from Peter Butler. She is a brilliant loco and I am so proud of her, but she lacked something and for me it was a tender.

So since I got my 3d printer, I wanted to try and print all of it, except for the wheels. After a couple of attempts, well more than a couple, it was about 10 or so, at printing a chassis that would look right for the tender.

This is the first attempt. Don't forget it was also a build to use a momentum wagon of some sort.

After printing the chassis and fitting the two ZECAR units, I felt that the chassis didn't look right, so I went about planing and printing separate parts for a chassis. This is what I came up with.

Looking at the parts you will see that the buffers are a lot thinner for about 10mm or so. That's because I had already printed the body, with the floor cutout for the ZECAR units and because of the length of time it took to print the two side's of the chassis, it was quicker just to print two buffers with the slightly thinner ends.

Now I know that the thickness of the body seem a bit wide, well a lot wide if truth was told, again after I printed the first side and the second one was already being printed, I decided to carry on with the rest of them.

Next was the removable coal load. I like to use real coal and I think it works. There is also a water filler because after reading up on tenders online, I found that quite a few had two tanks to hold water. This is removable and not stuck to the load, so if you think it shouldn't be there I will comply with it's removal. This is it fitted onto the body.

The colour is the same has "Patrica Anne" Ral 3004, it was the same colour that Peter sent back to me when he and his mate looked at the loco for me with some repairs and Peter's repainting of the loco. So luckily there was still quite a bit left and with the recent hot weather and hardly any wind, I decided it was going to be the same colour, all be it slightly lighter because of the primer colour I used. At first I used a grey primer, but after giving the body it's first coat it came out more of a deep Burgundy. So I used the same primer Peter recommended for PLA parts and it was a lot better, but after two more coats, I finally ran out of the paint, so it's now slightly lighter, but I think after I have given it a bit of weathering, hopefully it will darker to more or less the same as the loco.

Next was the Checker Plate, which thanks to the members input on another thread, I decided on this checker plate.

ImageImage

Now for the coupling. I did put the usual 3 link chain on, it somehow didn't work for me with how it was, so again I thought about doing a fixed coupler, the ones that are screw tightened and this is what a came up with on my printer.

A turn buckle type.

ImageImage

They may seem a bit rough, but I printed them with the least parameters that my slicer would allow and when they are on the buffers you can't see those lines, not unless you have eyes of an ant you won't.

These photos you will be glad to hear, are the of the tender and loco.

I have tried the tender on my test track and yes it does make some noise, but it is really an experiment with the ZECARS to see if they did anything to the lightness of driving "Patrice Anne" I was going to give them a run today, but the rain has finally made an appearance, so it my be a few days before I can take a short video of it.

I will post an update of any updates on the tender, like weathering etc.

Thank you for your time and enjoy our hobby with fun and enjoyment. I do.. :thumbright:

philipy

Re: PATRICA ANNE TENDER BUILD

Post by philipy » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:46 pm

That is excellent Rod, well done.
The tender chassis side frames are particularly well done.

How did you do the coupling? Is it 2 x U's plus the central turnbuckle clipped in?

Just a suggestion for the future, I assume that you printed the body sides flat on the printer bed? I think I'd have been tempted to try doing them vertically. I know its takes a very long time, but the surface finish might be better, without the inevitable diagonal lines.I've always printed flat in the past, but Steves comments on printing vertically tempted me to try it with the roof of my Wickham Trolley and it was magic!
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:53 pm

That's most impressive, Rod. Well done, sir! Looks like you're really beginning to master this 3D printing malarkey. :thumbright:

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:44 pm

Wow Rod. Brilliant :salute: I thought you'd gone off the idea of the momentum van, but I should have put 2 and 2 together when you started on about the tender :lol:
The turnbuckle coupling is a great idea, particularly as the tender doubles as a momentum device; the more 'solid' the connection between loco and momentum unit the better. The chassis of the tender in particular looks ace, especially with those wheels? What wheels are they?
And one final thing - to save me searching the forum, which primer does Peter recommend for PLA?
I may or may not have a reason for asking, I couldn't possibly comment! :lol:

PS Redone my PM to you, let me know if you haven't received it.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:56 pm

By the way, that's a really neat solution to mounting 2 zecars close together - much better than my butchery job :thumbup:
Phil

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:06 pm

Very well done Rod, a great idea and cleverly applied. Zecars can be noisy things if not insulated with something, perhaps you have space around them you can fill?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:35 pm

Lonsdaler wrote: ↑Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:44 pm which primer does Peter recommend for PLA?
Can't answer for Peter, but I mostly use Halfords grey rattle can primer. I use the plastic version if I've got any, but the ordinary stuff works fine - I can't say I've ever noticed any difference.

I also use the Β£1-a-can stuff from the pound shop sometimes, which also works fine as a primer but the spray pattern can be a bit heavy and blobby.

Edited to add: The yellow Filler-primer', is also useful where you want really smooth surface, but after rubbing that down it then needs a grey or white or red oxide primer top coat before the finishing colour.
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:31 am

Lonsdaler wrote: ↑Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:44 pm
- to save me searching the forum, which primer does Peter recommend for PLA?
As I don't do 3D printing I have no experience of PLA or a preferred primer to use on it. I have probably said which primer I use on other materials which is usually Halford's Plastic Primer. I hope this helps avoid any confusion.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:24 am

Some very nice work there Rod, very impressive :)

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:28 am

First of all, thank you for your very kind comments on this build. I tried to do some justice for a one off. I may do another one, but with normal running gear and perhaps slightly thinner sides.
philipy wrote: ↑Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:46 pm That is excellent Rod, well done.
The tender chassis side frames are particularly well done.

How did you do the coupling? Is it 2 x U's plus the central turnbuckle clipped in?

Just a suggestion for the future, I assume that you printed the body sides flat on the printer bed? I think I'd have been tempted to try doing them vertically. I know its takes a very long time, but the surface finish might be better, without the inevitable diagonal lines.I've always printed flat in the past, but Steves comments on printing vertically tempted me to try it with the roof of my Wickham Trolley and it was magic!
Thank you Phillip for your very kind words. Yes they are two U's but the turnbuckle was placed into them during printing, I used supports so it kind of worked surprisingly to be able to move. I now have quite a few of them and I will be using them for all of my rolling stock. They did start off way to small, I still need to work out on Tinkercad what scale I need to be drawing anything. I know I can upscale parts on the slicer, but sometimes it makes somethings too big or too small.

I also agree about printing stuff on edge and I have done before, your correct in saying it produce's a far better print. For the life of me though, I just can't explain why I printed them flat, it was probably a memory block don't you think... :lol: :lol: :lol:
ge_rik wrote: ↑Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:53 pm That's most impressive, Rod. Well done, sir! Looks like you're really beginning to master this 3D printing malarkey. :thumbright:

Rik
Thank you Rik. Don't know about mastering the printing malarkey though. I still make massive mistakes which leads to a lot of wastage still. But I will get better in time I am quite sure of that and the savings I have made is incredible , mainly because I saw the turnbuckles for sale on a site, must have been eBay and they were expensive, so I thought I will try to make my own. Again luckily they turnout ok...
Lonsdaler wrote: ↑Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:44 pm What wheels are they?
And one final thing - to save me searching the forum, which primer does Peter recommend for PLA?
I may or may not have a reason for asking, I couldn't possibly comment! :lol:

PS Redone my PM to you, let me know if you haven't received it.
This is what I use now Phil. I did use some cheaper stuff, but when you are using some paints they just didn't come out right at all. I have used the Halfords stuff Peter use's. I saw these on Amazon for two cans at a decent price and I thought I will give them a try. I did ask at a car repair shop near me what filler/primer they use and they mentioned these. If the professionals use it, then it must be ok.

The wheels are Accucraft I think. They are ones I bought a few years back and never had the right chassis to fit them on.

4CA9F258-C4D2-4D55-A481-CE1391973782_4_5005_c.jpeg
4CA9F258-C4D2-4D55-A481-CE1391973782_4_5005_c.jpeg (14.52 KiB) Viewed 5326 times
Peter Butler wrote: ↑Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:06 pm Very well done Rod, a great idea and cleverly applied. Zecars can be noisy things if not insulated with something, perhaps you have space around them you can fill?
Thank you Peter. At the moment I don't have any insulation material, there is room however so when I get some I will defiantly be putting some in.

I am going to attempt putting some lining on the tender. I will practice on some scrap bits I have first, quite a lot of scrap bits.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:31 am

Jimmyb wrote: ↑Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:24 am Some very nice work there Rod, very impressive :)
Thank you Jimmy.

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:40 am

That filler primer is fine. I think I have used that in the past and it seems to be the same as the Halfords one ( prob just a branding thing).
You mentioned your final red colour being a bit off what you were expecting? If you put it straight over this yellow that probably explains it. Ideally you'd want to put a coat of either red or grey primer over the yellow first. In a standalone situation I'd suggest the red oxide colour primer but since you are tring to match an existing loco, they may have used grey as a 'works' colour.
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:08 am

You may right on the "works' colour Phillip. However I did use a grey and it came out a dark Burgundy and no were near the same has the loco, so I put the yellow over it and gave it two coats of the original loco paint. It does match up to something like the same as the loco. I guess though that it would never be the same, but Anne and I are happy enough with it mate. Also printing on its edge and using two or three coats of the yellow may help in getting it nearer to the loco, I don't really know, it's all trail and error in the end I think, don't you Phillip.

The first photo is with the grey primer. The second is with the yellow. I appreciate that the colours on a computer screen don't show the true colours and the first one is taken in the garage with the door open, so it is with natural light and the second is took under a supposedly natural light lamp. If you had seen the first photo when it was done yourself mate, you would probably have thought exactly the same, that it's far too dark.

I also appreciate you input Phillip, it is very welcome indeed and it is all taken in, whether I keep in this blooming memory though is another matter....
A4FA233D-7007-4687-A511-5900EDEF2594.jpeg
A4FA233D-7007-4687-A511-5900EDEF2594.jpeg (457.67 KiB) Viewed 5318 times
FC93126D-AEC8-4090-B9D7-190ABB9B4074.jpeg
FC93126D-AEC8-4090-B9D7-190ABB9B4074.jpeg (1.75 MiB) Viewed 5318 times

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:17 am

Hi Philip and Peter,
Thanks both, spray plastic primer is already my go to primer for plastics, I'd inferred from Rod's post that there was a 'new kid on the block', hence the question. I too am happy with this for the priming I have done so far.
Phil

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: TurnBuckle Update

Post by FWLR » Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:21 pm

I have had a go at trying to make the turnbuckle a lot stronger after my day at Lonsdalers steam up a couple of weeks ago. The reason being they just weren't strong enough after coupling up the tender and the loco, the turnbuckle just came apart. So a little bit, well some more tinkering with it and now I think it should be strong enough....

What do you think..

The weight that it is holding is a brand new bag of bird seed, 1and 1/2 kilos plus the bucket. The turnbuckle was printed without any supports or brim, that's way I think they look a bit stringy, so now I am printing some more with just the minimum of support and some of them deleted on the turn bolt.

Just having some tea out later so I will update tomorrow on progress.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:02 am

I have now done some prints with minimum supports. I just put the turnbuckle on the bed and selected supports and deleted the ones on the screw.

They have turned out ok....

7DF3F26A-8033-4F64-A49B-7946AC0D953B_1_201_a.jpeg
7DF3F26A-8033-4F64-A49B-7946AC0D953B_1_201_a.jpeg (2.77 MiB) Viewed 2353 times

Both of the u-bends are very easy to move, so when the rain gives up I will give them a test on the line...

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:34 pm

Wow Rod,
That's looking very impressive. They are certainly more 'scale looking' and can understand why you are persevering with them. Look forward to seeing the new improved version in action :thumbright:
Phil

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:23 am

Impressive!

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube