Protecting vulnerable points (turnouts)

What is your latest project?
Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Protecting vulnerable points (turnouts)

Post by Lonsdaler » Fri May 14, 2021 11:10 pm

My line is 32mm, with relatively 'delicate' rail size, compared to much 45mm track. It is for the most part at ground level around the garden, and of necessity sustains occasional foot traffic from rindonkulously large people (scale 1:1). Unfortunately as a result I have had two points damaged by being trodden on, with the moving blades being separated from the tie bar.
Having carried out repairs (again :roll: ) I decided that I would try and mitigate the damage.
The solution I've come up with is simply a piece of 2mm plasticard, with suitably placed lugs to fit over the tops of the blades on the points.

I've then coloured them bright yellow, to act as a visual reminder to try to avoid standing there, but also as a reminder to remove them when operating.
They've been down for a month so far, and have already provided protection against wayward feet. A simple solution I've shared in case others have similar issues.
Last edited by Lonsdaler on Sat May 15, 2021 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Protecting vulnerable points (turnouts)

Post by ge_rik » Sat May 15, 2021 7:39 am

Clever solution. Fortunately, LGB and Piko points seem to be fairly robust and have survived my size nines (so far!). But will bear in mind. They might also help to prevent crud getting in between running sessions.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat May 15, 2021 8:42 am

Great idea Phil. :thumbright: Although our line is elevated, it would help to stop dirt and other stuff getting into the points, has Rik said.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sat May 15, 2021 10:32 am

ge_rik wrote: ↑Sat May 15, 2021 7:39 am Clever solution. Fortunately, LGB and Piko points seem to be fairly robust and have survived my size nines (so far!). But will bear in mind. They might also help to prevent crud getting in between running sessions.

Rik
Good point Rik, I've amended the post to make clear I'm referring to the more 'delicate' rail sizes, and yes, they do seem to be keeping crud away so far.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

BWLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by BWLR » Sun May 16, 2021 10:42 am

This is a good idea, despite having a ground level line I haven't had a problem with damage to points probably due to a combination of not having points in positions where people might step on them and using Peco G45 track which seems quite robust. However like others have commented I do have a problem with debris getting in the points, so this could be a good solution, although id go for something slightly less visible colour wise! :D

Peter
Bishops Woodland Light Railway - Youtube