new jigstone building

What is your latest project?
mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

new jigstone building

Post by mymodeltrain » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:12 pm

This is my new jigstone building, made from polyurethane resins.
10.jpg
10.jpg (552.55 KiB) Viewed 3985 times
11.jpg
11.jpg (531.42 KiB) Viewed 3985 times

Andrew

Re: new jigstone building

Post by Andrew » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:51 am

Very nice! You've done a lovely job of painting the stonework. I like the posh garden wall too!

Cheers,

Andrew.

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:16 pm

Diamond leaded lights, very posh!

Now that's something that would 3D print nicely. Must look for a suitable local prototype.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:59 am

That must have taken ages to cast all the individual components. Presumably you had the mix the resin in very small batches. I suppose the upside is that the resin will set more quickly than concrete.

Looks great. I like the mullioned window frames.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

thornmini
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by thornmini » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:37 pm

Really nice and well made building -- should last a long time. Like Rik, I do find your windows intriguing. They appear to be homemade, and if they are, I would enjoy knowing your process -- especially if I could follow and make my own. Thanks!
Waldeker EisenBahn

mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by mymodeltrain » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:58 pm

ge_rik wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:59 am That must have taken ages to cast all the individual components. Presumably you had the mix the resin in very small batches. I suppose the upside is that the resin will set more quickly than concrete.

Rik
Rik,
Yes, resin heals quicker than concrete. Usually, I can do the casting in the Summer only, and it would take one day for the concrete to cure. While resin heals in 10 min at 50F; so I spent only one hour a night for three nights to get all the bricks I need for the building.
At different temperatures, the color of the product is different. I guess when it is cold the resins didn't diffuse fast enough and they became brown, but when I used a heating lamp, the products are white. nevertheless, I don't mind, since they are equally strong, and I can paint later. To speed up the construction, I used JB Weld epoxy glue. The healing time is 10 min versus 24h if using liquid nail.
2.jpg
2.jpg (447.07 KiB) Viewed 3886 times
This is a very large building. It would be difficult to make it with concrete for the weight. I used an aluminum beam to hold the bricks together, or else the building would fall apart if I lift it up. The other advantage of resin is that I also screwed the beam into the bricks.
3.jpg
3.jpg (369.76 KiB) Viewed 3888 times
To trim and cut the resin-based bricks, I used the sharp blade and wood chisel, respectively. But when I need a more precise cut, a tiny metal hacksaw is great.

The window frames were made of thick wood so they can fit in the thick bricks nicely. While, the mullions are from metal gutter guards. I used super glue to glue the mullions onto the wood frame. Please be careful when using superglue, eye protection goggles are required during this process.
While the doors were made of 3 mm-thick acrylic sheets, and I used the ceramic tile table saw (the blade has no teeth, so it is pretty safe to use) to cut them into small panels. This is the first time I can cut plexiglass into small pieces using the same device to make the door glasses.
The roof was from my house roof; It may not look very nice, but it will survive all weather conditions. An aluminum bar was placed below to ensure the roof will not bend over time.

Finally, dry-painting method must be pointed to Rik's website for further instructions.
Last edited by mymodeltrain on Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:04 pm

Thanks for the detail. I've used JigStones three times - once for platform edging, once to construct a cattle dock and once to produce cobble stones. I cast my blocks with rapid set cement and fine sand. On each occasion, I picked a warm summer's day and got a sort of production line going. The cement took around 15 mins to set sufficiently for the block's to be removed from the moulds, but they were quite fragile until they fully hardened off - which took at least another 24 hours.

Resin sounds like a far better medium.

Thanks for showing the inside as well. It gives a much clearer perspective on how the building was constructed (even though it's not as pretty as the outside).

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by mymodeltrain » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:48 pm

mymodeltrain wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:58 pm
ge_rik wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:59 am That must have taken ages to cast all the individual components. Presumably you had the mix the resin in very small batches. I suppose the upside is that the resin will set more quickly than concrete.

Rik
Rik,
Yes, resin heals quicker than concrete. Usually, I can do the casting in the Summer only, and it would take one day for the concrete to cure. While resin heals in 10 min at 50F; so I spent only one hour a night for three nights to get all the bricks I need for the building.
At different temperatures, the color of the product is different. I guess when it is cold the resins didn't diffuse fast enough and they became brown, but when I used a heating lamp, the products are white. nevertheless, I don't mind, since they are equally strong, and I can paint later. To speed up the construction, I used JB Weld epoxy glue. The healing time is 10 min versus 24h if using liquid nail.
2.jpg

This is a very large building. It would be difficult to make it with concrete for the weight. I used an aluminum beam to hold the bricks together, or else the building would fall apart if I lift it up. The other advantage of resin is that I also screwed the beam into the bricks.
3.jpg
To trim and cut the resin-based bricks, I used the sharp blade and wood chisel, respectively. But when I need a more precise cut, a tiny metal hacksaw is great.

The window frames were made of thick wood so they can fit in the thick bricks nicely. While, the mullions are from metal gutter guards. I used super glue to glue the mullions onto the wood frame. Please be careful when using superglue, eye protection goggles are required during this process.
While the doors were made of 3 mm-thick acrylic sheets, and I used the ceramic tile table saw (the blade has no teeth, so it is pretty safe to use) to cut them into small panels. This is the first time I can cut plexiglass into small pieces using the same device to make the door glasses.
The roof was from my house roof; It may not look very nice, but it will survive all weather conditions. An aluminum bar was placed below to ensure the roof will not bend over time.

Finally, dry-painting method must be pointed to Rik's website for further instructions.

Finally, I completed the design with some weatherings and installation of the lights for the building, and I will bring it out to the garden today
Final1.jpg
Final1.jpg (3.07 MiB) Viewed 3620 times
Final2.jpg
Final2.jpg (1.91 MiB) Viewed 3620 times

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:39 pm

Looks great! The mossy green roof is an interesting sight; we have nothing like it here in hot, dry Oz.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by mymodeltrain » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:05 pm

mymodeltrain wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:48 pm
mymodeltrain wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:58 pm

Rik
Rik,
2.jpg

3.jpg

Finally, I completed the design with some weatherings and installation of the lights for the building, and I will bring it out to the garden today

Final1.jpg
Final2.jpg
I brought the building out to the garden during the weekend and wiring to light it up.
jigstone building_2021.jpg
jigstone building_2021.jpg (1.69 MiB) Viewed 3344 times
Jigstone building_2021_1.jpg
Jigstone building_2021_1.jpg (1.96 MiB) Viewed 3344 times