Lyn >> Schull & Skibbereen Erin(ish)

What is your latest project?
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Lyn >> Schull & Skibbereen Erin(ish)

Post by ge_rik » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:15 pm

Although the Bachmann Lyn looks OK and runs reasonably well, she is not happy on my tight curves and so I'm planning to convert her into a loco similar to the Nasmyth & Wilson 4-4-0T which ran on the Schull & Skibbereen Railway. However, I quite like the wheel arrangement of a loco which they inherited from the Cork and Muskerry Rly which was an outside framed 0-4-4T and so I'm going to give them an illicit wedding. The wheel diameters and wheelbase is another heavy compromise, but all I can say is the outcome will be unique.

I've decided to 3D print this one - just to see if I can. Here's what the body shell looks like so far.
3D image1.jpg
3D image1.jpg (94.3 KiB) Viewed 5961 times
3D image2.jpg
3D image2.jpg (87.32 KiB) Viewed 5961 times

There's still a bit of tinkering yet to be done - a few more rivets and some of the gubbins below and above the running plate - but drawing her was actually quite fun.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Re: Lyn >> Schull & Skibbereen Erin(ish)

Post by philipy » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:28 pm

Impressive, Rik.
Philip

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:10 pm

I'm impressed, even more so to have produced that level of detail in tinkercad.

I've worked out how you've done the rivets (duplicate tool combined with a rotation and duplicate again, do an opposite pair so they rotate about the centrepoint).

However I am intrigued by the flare at the bottom of the chimney and steam dome.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:48 pm

BorisSpencer wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:10 pm However I am intrigued by the flare at the bottom of the chimney and steam dome.
Not quite perfected the technique but I used a torus as a hole to cut the flare into a disk.

Rik
Merged_document (3).jpg
Merged_document (3).jpg (207.53 KiB) Viewed 5936 times

Rik
------------------------

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:34 pm

I take it you have all the parts for printing and are not intending to print it as one?

Looks great, I see someone else is spending far too much time in Tinkercad too, lol.
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:01 pm

I think a lot of the appeal to me is using a limited toolset in ever more creative and imaginative ways.
Hence my comment about Rik's riveting, seeing the result and having to work backwards to determine a method.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:23 am

-steves- wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:34 pm I take it you have all the parts for printing and are not intending to print it as one?
Oh yes. All parts exist separately, disassembled and oriented for printing. I thought I'd design the loco this way. Normally, I do each part separately and end up having to figure out the dimensions. Well if this is going there, I need to take off 2mm for the thickness of that and add 1mm to ensure it fits into the other, ...... This makes it a lot easier.

Rik
------------------------

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:21 am

ge_rik wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:23 am
-steves- wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:34 pm I take it you have all the parts for printing and are not intending to print it as one?
Oh yes. All parts exist separately, disassembled and oriented for printing. I thought I'd design the loco this way. Normally, I do each part separately and end up having to figure out the dimensions. Well if this is going there, I need to take off 2mm for the thickness of that and add 1mm to ensure it fits into the other, ...... This makes it a lot easier.

Rik
Exactly the same as I did with my tram this time and for the same reasons. Not sure if it is great minds think alike or small minds differ little, lol.

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:47 am

-steves- wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:21 am
ge_rik wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:23 am

Rik
Exactly the same as I did with my tram this time and for the same reasons. Not sure if it is great minds think alike or small minds differ little, lol.
I've done the same on occasions although this was where I found the shrinkage issue, that we've discussed before, rears its ugly head when tolerances are tight.
Philip

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:58 am

That looks superb Rik. I'm afraid I know less than nothing about 3D printing so the technical details are lost on me but the loco has some very nice lines to it.

I've never particularly been a 'loco' man, but I do have a 'thing' about 0-4-4 tank engines, I've never seen one yet that doesn't please my eye. (The crowing glories of the art being the Wainwright H class, only a cat's whisker behind the Kirtley and Johnson versions - in my humble opinion, of course!). I'm really looking forward to seeing how this project develops.

CFLR Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:49 am

Soar Valley Light wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:58 am That looks superb Rik. I'm afraid I know less than nothing about 3D printing so the technical details are lost on me but the loco has some very nice lines to it.

I've never particularly been a 'loco' man, but I do have a 'thing' about 0-4-4 tank engines, I've never seen one yet that doesn't please my eye. (The crowing glories of the art being the Wainwright H class, only a cat's whisker behind the Kirtley and Johnson versions - in my humble opinion, of course!). I'm really looking forward to seeing how this project develops.

CFLR Andrew
Thanks Andrew
Yes, I agree with you about 0-4-4s and I'm quite attracted to the Irish 4-4-0s as well. There's something very businesslike about them.

Rik
------------------------

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:59 am

Presumably, with each new project, you’re building a library of components for future adaptation (next month: Flying Scotsman).

Terrific.
Last edited by BertieB on Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:31 pm

ge_rik wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:15 pm Although the Bachmann Lyn looks OK and runs reasonably well, she is not happy on my tight curves
What's the issue? I'd have thought a Bachmann Lyn would get around an R1 curve OK, as their own track is the same 600mm radius.

I have three 0-4-2T locos and two bigger ones are marginal, even on my curves. I'd be mocking up some sort of test chassis if planning to build an 0-4-4T. You'll have less issues with bogie clearances on an 0-4-4T than you would with an outside cylinder 4-4-0T, but the side throw at the cab end will be liable to cause coupler issues on tight curves.

Possibly because I'm one of the third of Australians descended from the Irish diaspora, I have a weakness for the Irish ng lines and if you look closely you'll find some influence has crept into TVT rolling stock.

Graeme

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:11 pm

GTB wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:31 pm
ge_rik wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:15 pm Although the Bachmann Lyn looks OK and runs reasonably well, she is not happy on my tight curves
What's the issue? I'd have thought a Bachmann Lyn would get around an R1 curve OK, as their own track is the same 600mm radius.

I have three 0-4-2T locos and two bigger ones are marginal, even on my curves. I'd be mocking up some sort of test chassis if planning to build an 0-4-4T. You'll have less issues with bogie clearances on an 0-4-4T than you would with an outside cylinder 4-4-0T, but the side throw at the cab end will be liable to cause coupler issues on tight curves.

Possibly because I'm one of the third of Australians descended from the Irish diaspora, I have a weakness for the Irish ng lines and if you look closely you'll find some influence has crept into TVT rolling stock.

Graeme
Hi Graeme
The issue was the outswing on the couplings which are attached to the buffer beams. In the video, you'll see that the way I had to overcome it was to use a long chain between the loco and the first wagon. I might have been able to attach couplings to the pony truck and rear bogie but, to be honest, I was also concerned that Lyn is a 2' gauge loco which they've tweaked to run on 45mm track by constructing to a weird scale of 13.8mm / ft which makes it a bit small in relation to my other 15mm / ft stock.

And besides, I really like the Irish 4-4-0s and even more so the 0-4-4s ..... 😃

Rik
------------------------

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:02 pm

ge_rik wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:11 pm The issue was the outswing on the couplings which are attached to the buffer beams.
I'm not surprised. The VR solution to the same problem with the chopper couplings on the NA class was a wider buffing plate, with a much wider gap for the chopper. You may have to fit a much wider loop than your standard coupler to the rear of the 0-4-4T and leave off the hook.
ge_rik wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:11 pm And besides, I really like the Irish 4-4-0s and even more so the 0-4-4s ..... 😃
Not going to argue with that, although my taste runs more to things like the Swilly 4-8-0 and the Passage 2-4-2T......... :roll:

Graeme

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:17 am

I too love the Swilly 4-8-0 but I think I would struggle to justify its existence on the PLR ...... Unless of course, the copper mine doubles its output ..... :lol:

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:51 pm

About half way through printing out the parts ..... all OK except my heated bed has suddenly decided to develop a cold spot in the centre - so now having to position everything near the edges :?
IMG_1556.JPG
IMG_1556.JPG (1.15 MiB) Viewed 5155 times

Rik
------------------------

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:55 pm

That looks exactly like a picture I just saw on FB. Great job, can't wait to see it done. :thumbup:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:22 pm

Taken a while, because I've been tweaking the design to fit the motor block. At first, the body was sitting too high up so I had to do some internal hacking to get it to sit lower.

I'll now have to go back and redraw some of the sections of the body, but I am happier with the way she looks. I also want to infill under the smokebox - it's looking a bit gappy there.

Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:31 pm

That is looking fantastic, Rik.
Philip