Southwold stock

What is your latest project?
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Southwold stock

Post by ge_rik » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:29 pm

My latest project is to create models of every type of goods stock which ran on the Southwold Railway. The 3D printer is a great help because the majority of stock was manufactured by the same company and so there's some commonality of parts though, of course, the wagons got modified over the years.

Here's where I'm up to .....

The Short wb van
IMG_1342.JPG
IMG_1342.JPG (48.33 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
The Four plank Open
IMG_1343.JPG
IMG_1343.JPG (45.56 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
The Three plank open
IMG_1344.JPG
IMG_1344.JPG (42.44 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
The two-plank open
IMG_1345.JPG
IMG_1345.JPG (40.33 KiB) Viewed 5478 times
And the flat wagon
IMG_1346.JPG
IMG_1346.JPG (39.61 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
And here they all are together.
IMG_1340.JPG
IMG_1340.JPG (33.54 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
I'm working on the remaining wagons. The long wheelbase van is presently on the printer and then I'll have a go at the short wheelbase 3-plank open and then ...... ta dah!! ..... the six-wheel Cleminson open!

Looks like I'm going to have to stock up with Halfords grey primer!

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Southwold stock

Post by gregh » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:00 am

Brilliant ! The photo looks like they grow from right to left.
They sure are nice looking prototypes to start with.
BTW what is the actual wheelbase of them?
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:50 am

Well they look just the part, amazing work there Rik :thumbup: :thumbup: Any chance of the stl files going in the download section? :lol:
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:06 am

gregh wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:00 am Brilliant ! The photo looks like they grow from right to left.
They sure are nice looking prototypes to start with.
BTW what is the actual wheelbase of them?
Thanks Greg.
The van's wheelbase is 5ft, the other stock's is 5ft 6in and the long wheelbase van I'm presently printing is 6ft. There are some swb open wagons still to do and then the six wheelers will have an overall wheelbase of 15ft 6in.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:10 am

-steves- wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:50 am Well they look just the part, amazing work there Rik :thumbup: :thumbup: Any chance of the stl files going in the download section? :lol:
Hi Steve
Certainly will. I'm just tweaking the drawings. I find, after I've constructed each one, I have to go back and make a few amendments. Sometimes it's because I got the measurements wrong and sometimes what I think will work on screen doesn't quite work in practice.

I'm going to try applying some sort of watermark to them as well, so I can keep track if they go astray.

Rik
------------------------

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:34 am

Same as I do Rik, takes a few attempts to sort the finer details. Not sure what printer you printed those with but particularly the 4 plank wagon has come out superb.

I will also be uploading something to our download site soon. I am currently working on a W&L bolster wagon as I have one Accucraft one, but could not source another anywhere as they were generally bought in pairs, I got this one in a job lot from eBay years ago. Only thing is they are huge compared to most things, but I dare say it is true to scale.

It's no where near perfect, but I figure if I print two, then at least I will have a matching pair, the only thing being I will be in the same position of having one bolster wagon spare, lol :thumbleft: Yes the painted one is an Accucraft one and not my design, lol. :D

It's not finished yet with the CAD work, but once it gets there I will happily add it up too. I will post some more pictures up when I have a painted and near complete one, but that won't be this side of Christmas I wouldn't have thought.

I was lucky enough to have a number of spare Accucraft wheels and axle hangers which I also bought from eBay many years ago :thumbleft:

How can you do watermarks without giving the stl file away for free by uploading it online at some site or another?
Attachments
IMG_20201222_112215.jpg
IMG_20201222_112215.jpg (459.12 KiB) Viewed 5411 times
IMG_20201222_112302.jpg
IMG_20201222_112302.jpg (740.53 KiB) Viewed 5411 times
IMG_20201222_112430.jpg
IMG_20201222_112430.jpg (323.18 KiB) Viewed 5411 times
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:52 am

Those are great Rik, really lovely representations of really lovely prototypes. I'm hard pressed to work out which is my favourite, but I've always had a soft spot for wagons with curved ends...

Andrew.

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:57 am

Those are looking good, Steve.
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:59 pm

-steves- wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:34 am How can you do watermarks without giving the stl file away for free by uploading it online at some site or another?
Not sure. I'm wondering whether to embed some lettering into each part somehow. It won't stop someone determined enough to erase them but it might prevent someone just downloading and then reposting them elsewhere without acknowledging the source.

Rik
------------------------

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:03 pm

ge_rik wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:59 pm Not sure. I'm wondering whether to embed some lettering into each part somehow. It won't stop someone determined enough to erase them but it might prevent someone just downloading and then reposting them elsewhere without acknowledging the source.
If you produce a "Peckforton Works" plate I'll print it out and add it to my short van make! :D

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:05 pm

ge_rik wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:59 pm
-steves- wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:34 am How can you do watermarks without giving the stl file away for free by uploading it online at some site or another?
Not sure. I'm wondering whether to embed some lettering into each part somehow.
Thats what I was thinking of doing when we discussed setting this up. Should be fairly simple to just apply some suitable 3-d lettering either raised or debossed 0.5mm on an undersurface where it won't be seen on the finished item.
Philip

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:40 am

ge_rik wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:29 pm My latest project is to create models of every type of goods stock which ran on the Southwold Railway.
The models have come up well, especially the bodywork prints from the new printer.

I was wondering how long it would take for this to happen. You do of course realise that they are like potato chips, you can't stop at just one. It won't be long before you can run a Southwold session on the PLR..........

Regards,
Graeme

ps. I just checked the wheelbases, my standard pass car bogie is almost that long. I hadn't realised just how small the Southwold rolling stock was. :shock:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:05 am

GTB wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:40 am
ge_rik wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:29 pm My latest project is to create models of every type of goods stock which ran on the Southwold Railway.
The models have come up well, especially the bodywork prints from the new printer.

I was wondering how long it would take for this to happen. You do of course realise that they are like potato chips, you can't stop at just one. It won't be long before you can run a Southwold session on the PLR..........

Regards,
Graeme

ps. I just checked the wheelbases, my standard pass car bogie is almost that long. I hadn't realised just how small the Southwold rolling stock was. :shock:
Thanks Graeme
With the curves on my railway, short wheelbases are the order of the day - which is probably why I'm struggling with the 6-wheeler. :?

Rik
------------------------

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:25 pm

Rik,
I wonder whether you have seen this?.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygtjCLh4YBs&t=8s
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:03 am

Peter Butler wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:25 pm Rik,
I wonder whether you have seen this?.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygtjCLh4YBs&t=8s
Thanks for that Peter

I have seen it but it's been ages since I last watched it. Great viewing it as I munched my breakfast.....

Rik
------------------------

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:19 pm

Rik, here's another Southwold video showing original b/w film and more recent garden railway footage. One interesting feature is the modification of the carriages to bogies rather than Cleminson 6 wheelers, possibly because of the same issues you have found yourself.
A good story completely ruined by loud and inappropriate background music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKZOFd3oez8

Stephen Bazire
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Stephen Bazire » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:14 pm

That is my railway featured. I do have some Cleminson wheel bases for the 6-wheel trucks but they're too unreliable for regualr runing so I went for the more pragmatic solution of having bogies. Life is too short! Sorry about the music - Mark Found put that together and it probably is a bit loud but, to be fair, it is me playing and a Suffolk tune. Glad you liked the story though.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:40 pm

Hi Stephen and welcome to the Forum. As previously mentioned I did enjoy the video and love your line. I'm sorry about the reference to the loud music but I can see it was Mark who added that. On my laptop I frequently experience loud music on TV video productions, so perhaps that explains it?
When was the video made and do you still have the railway?

Stephen Bazire
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Stephen Bazire » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:36 pm

Not sure of the year (circa 2006?) but I know it was the Sunday after England had won a World Cup match. We both had hangovers...
Yes, the line still exists and runs, it's showing its age but I am working on a slow renovation process. I finished the new church at Wenhaston last Tuesday, put it on a shelf to photograph it and the shelf collapsed. I'm halfway through gluing the church components together again, then to just fill the cracks, repaint and mend that bl**dy shelf! I was looking to get some more stock together soon when I saw these 3D ones so, rather than painstakingly reinvent the wheel, I thought it best to go down this route.
I'm also a borderline-active member of the Halesworth to Southwold Narrow Gauge Railway Trust, working at Blythburgh, Wenhaston and Bird's Folly near Halesworth. I find them more friendly and welcoming that the other lot at Southwold. The shed at Blythburgh has been fully renovated and good relations made with Lord Blois, who owns most of the original trackbed. A good man to know and his anti-railway history is being gradually eased.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:16 pm

Thanks for the background info, Stephen. I've always admired your line - but then I would being a long term fan of the Southwold and a member of 'the other lot' for more years than I can remember (membership no. 25). We now only make occasional trips to Southwold but I do have to get my Southwold fix every few years.

Glad to hear you're also into folk music - I listen but don't play (at least not in public).

Rik
------------------------