Southwold coach

What is your latest project?
gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Southwold coach

Post by gregh » Sat May 29, 2021 12:15 am

In my case there is a seventh 'question' to add to your six.
Do I have anyone to pass my trains onto; either now, soon or (hopefully) in the far future?

I have grandsons who MAY be interested and then there are my train friends.
I already have some stock, built by A, passed to B who passed it onto me.

Sorry but I can't help you Rik. My present 'solution' to the problem of too much stock is...
ignore the problem, and build more shelves where I can. (this will happen as I rebuild my termite ridden train room.)
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat May 29, 2021 7:26 am

Really interesting replies, thanks chaps.

Peter. Each of your models is a one-off mini masterpiece, whereas most of mine were constructed for purely pragmatic reasons - I went for quantity rather than quality. For example, after hand building two open wagons, I then turned to constructing the next ten from my own resin castings. The level of detail on my early wagons is fairly rudimentary so I could get them up and running as soon as possible. As you know, running train services has always been my priority.

Greg. Unfortunately, I'm the end of the male line for our branch of the family and my daughter has only a passing interest in what I get up to in the garden. I don't think there will be any grandchildren - despite her and her husband's best efforts :? . The few train friends I have are either older or as old as me. I've already started planning how I'll pare down the trackplan for that time when I get too old and decrepit to maintain it in its present form. However, for now I'm trying to get the most out of it while I'm still reasonably active and mobile. Hence the plan to construct a few more items of stock.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Sat May 29, 2021 12:51 pm

I think the question you need to ask yourself Rik is am I interested in raisng the standard of some of the older stock or is hat I really want to do is build some interesting different vehicles.
Adding brake gear. strapping, hinges etc. to wagons may seem more of a chore than something to fire your enthusiasm, whereas building some new specials may seem much more fun.
The former would see rebuilds and some scrapping and replacing not a great deal of growth in stock the later yes you need more storage.

Don