Southwold coach

What is your latest project?
philipy

Re: Southwold coach

Post by philipy » Wed May 26, 2021 8:50 pm

ge_rik wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:08 pm
I've tried to recreate this iconic image of the Southwold
... and an excellent job you've made of it!
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed May 26, 2021 8:56 pm

I totally agree with Andrew and that is the picture I would have selected myself to support my response.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Wed May 26, 2021 10:33 pm

They definitely benefit from being in company - it will be an interesting train when 3 coaches with Cleminsons are together. Nice finish as usual too.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu May 27, 2021 8:56 am

Thanks chaps. I'm rapidly reaching the stage where I'm going to have to rationalise my rolling stock. I've run out of space in the storage sidings.
  • Do I stop constructing new stock?
  • Do I start replacing my 'freelance' stock with more realistic models based on real prototypes?
  • Do I put some stock into cold storage?
  • Do I sell off excess stock?
  • Do I cycle stock around thematically ( eg have freelance days, Southwold days, Welshpool days etc)?
  • Or do I keep stay with an eclectic mix?
Decisions...... :?

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu May 27, 2021 9:43 am

Tricky decisions Rik, I don't envy you!

Actually, I may have some of my own to make soon - we're just reorganising the house after redecorating the front room, where my locos and many of my railway books used to live in a higgledy-piggledy fashion on shelves that no longer exist...

Anyway, back to your issues...

Do I stop constructing new stock?

Surely not, it's clearly something you really enjoy?

Do I start replacing my 'freelance' stock with more realistic models based on real prototypes?

You seem to be going down that route anyway, and it seems to be working for you - me too, come to thing of it.

Do I put some stock into cold storage?

If you've got the space, and it won't cause domestic friction, why not?

Do I sell off excess stock?

If you haven't got the space, then probably! I've sold a few older items, but was quite relieved when others I'd put up for sale didn't sell!

Do I cycle stock around thematically ( eg have freelance days, Southwold days, Welshpool days etc)?
Or do I keep stay with an eclectic mix?

They're not mutually exclusive, so you could do both? You seem to use most of your goods wagons (but could gradually replace the less realistic/more generic ones), and could rotate the passenger stock? I rather liked a recent film you made where the carriages had become a little muddled rather than being in matching rakes, reminded me of classic British light railways...

Just a few thoughts...

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Thu May 27, 2021 10:58 am

• Do I stop constructing new stock?
    If like me it part of the enjoyment of the railway NO
  • Do I start replacing my 'freelance' stock with more realistic models based on real prototypes?
    This could mean you can keep constructing new stock :)
  • Do I put some stock into cold storage?
    This could be part of your decision making, put in storage for X period, and if you don't need/want/use it then dispose of
  • Do I sell off excess stock?
    See above
  • Do I cycle stock around thematically ( eg have freelance days, Southwold days, Welshpool days etc)?
    Nice idea, and could give you realistic themed events
  • Or do I keep stay with an eclectic mix?
    Best of all worlds, and you get to keep all your stock

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Thu May 27, 2021 11:10 am

Gosh. I quite understand your situation - I’ve run out of space too. It’s easier for me though, as I do have a large proportion of stuff that seems fairly obviously redundant — track powered and / or not very well made! You don’t have that excuse, of course.

But I would say, it can be strangely satisfying to be ruthless and getting shot of stuff. And you won’t have any problems finding homes for it.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu May 27, 2021 12:24 pm

BertieB wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:10 am it can be strangely satisfying to be ruthless and getting shot of stuff.
I completely recognise the truth of this, but still find it incredibly hard to do! Does that make me a hoarder?!!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu May 27, 2021 6:16 pm

Thanks chaps
Typically, I might go for a compromise, sell some, cold store some and remain eclectic.
As you say, I do enjoy construction, almost as much as I enjoy running trains...... 🤗

Rik
------------------------

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Fri May 28, 2021 9:02 am

Seeing as only you know what stock the railway actually had there should be no such thing as freelance models.

I would suggest some stock may need replacing with better quality ones.

My view of models of other railway stock is as follows.

If built by outside firms then my railway could have ordered the same.

They may have copied designs from other railways.

With the current preservation scene stock can appear on other lines so I postulate someone wealthy (Pete Waterman?) has built replica trains which can go visiting other lines. Hey Presto I can run Dolgoch with TalyLlyn tock on my railway.

As for your issue you need of track storage for things you do not want to part with but are not used in the current timetable.

Don

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri May 28, 2021 9:18 am

My personal experience of cold storage/moth balling is that once I've done it and put things away, they never see the light of day again and simply take up storage space for years - literally.
Philip

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Fri May 28, 2021 10:30 am

DonW wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:02 am Seeing as only you know what stock the railway actually had there should be no such thing as freelance models.

Don
Or follow real world practice and make your stock more decrepit, via the art of weathering.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Fri May 28, 2021 5:44 pm

Lonsdaler wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:30 am
DonW wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:02 am Seeing as only you know what stock the railway actually had there should be no such thing as freelance models.

Don
Or follow real world practice and make your stock more decrepit, via the art of weathering.
Ah but the real art is to make something that looks to be on its last legs year after year.
Actually by better quality I meant things like replacing vehicles with no brake gear, or making new ones with a more detailed interior. Better weathering could be another reason.

I do understand Rik about mothballed stuff. I was thinking about stuff that you might feel reluctant to throw. I find a year in the cupboard helps decide if it is worth keeping

Don

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri May 28, 2021 7:15 pm

DonW wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:44 pm Ah but the real art is to make something that looks to be on its last legs year after year.
Actually by better quality I meant things like replacing vehicles with no brake gear, or making new ones with a more detailed interior. Better weathering could be another reason.

I do understand Rik about mothballed stuff. I was thinking about stuff that you might feel reluctant to throw. I find a year in the cupboard helps decide if it is worth keeping

Don
My thinking exactly, though I am considering also adding more detail such as brake gear to some of my early stock ....

Rik
------------------------

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri May 28, 2021 9:23 pm

I am very reluctant to dispose of any of my models as I have done so in the past and regretted it since. When I first started to build in16mm I scratch-built, so my creations were individual, not prototypes, so there probably wouldn't be a market for them anyway, however, despite being boxed and out of sight I still have them to run (and they still do!) when the occasion arises.
My first locomotive was built about 45 years ago and holds a special place for that reason....
IMG_4641.JPG
IMG_4641.JPG (137.68 KiB) Viewed 3838 times
Another of the same period......
IMG_4652.JPG
IMG_4652.JPG (145.33 KiB) Viewed 3838 times
Perhaps nostalgia overrides practicality?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Sat May 29, 2021 12:15 am

In my case there is a seventh 'question' to add to your six.
Do I have anyone to pass my trains onto; either now, soon or (hopefully) in the far future?

I have grandsons who MAY be interested and then there are my train friends.
I already have some stock, built by A, passed to B who passed it onto me.

Sorry but I can't help you Rik. My present 'solution' to the problem of too much stock is...
ignore the problem, and build more shelves where I can. (this will happen as I rebuild my termite ridden train room.)
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat May 29, 2021 7:26 am

Really interesting replies, thanks chaps.

Peter. Each of your models is a one-off mini masterpiece, whereas most of mine were constructed for purely pragmatic reasons - I went for quantity rather than quality. For example, after hand building two open wagons, I then turned to constructing the next ten from my own resin castings. The level of detail on my early wagons is fairly rudimentary so I could get them up and running as soon as possible. As you know, running train services has always been my priority.

Greg. Unfortunately, I'm the end of the male line for our branch of the family and my daughter has only a passing interest in what I get up to in the garden. I don't think there will be any grandchildren - despite her and her husband's best efforts :? . The few train friends I have are either older or as old as me. I've already started planning how I'll pare down the trackplan for that time when I get too old and decrepit to maintain it in its present form. However, for now I'm trying to get the most out of it while I'm still reasonably active and mobile. Hence the plan to construct a few more items of stock.

Rik
------------------------

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Sat May 29, 2021 12:51 pm

I think the question you need to ask yourself Rik is am I interested in raisng the standard of some of the older stock or is hat I really want to do is build some interesting different vehicles.
Adding brake gear. strapping, hinges etc. to wagons may seem more of a chore than something to fire your enthusiasm, whereas building some new specials may seem much more fun.
The former would see rebuilds and some scrapping and replacing not a great deal of growth in stock the later yes you need more storage.

Don