A different 3D printed diesel

What is your latest project?
Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: A different 3D printed diesel

Post by Trevor Thompson » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:32 pm

Philip

Have viewed the video and I have got so far. I have imported a figure into blender with its skeleton, and made it sit down I have exported it, repaired the mesh and sliced it.

I then went on to add something for the person to sit on so I could adjust the position to fit the seat. What I end up with is a huge seat and a small person. I cant figure out how to change the size of the figure or the seat - I have to change one of them!

Trevor

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:41 pm

Trevor Thompson wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:32 pm What I end up with is a huge seat and a small person. I cant figure out how to change the size of the figure or the seat - I have to change one of them!
Errrrr...Ummmm... I was hoping you wouldn't say that... I had exactly the same problem although I seem to remember that my figure was huge and the cab small, but I can't for the life of me remember exactly how I solved it. :oops:

I THINK it was along the lines of resizing one or the other ( probably the cab) before importing it.
If Richard reads this he may be able to help because I seem to remember him mentioning something similar.
Philip

metalmuncher
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by metalmuncher » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:21 pm

Different programs assume different units, so you often have to do some scaling to get things matched up. I often just try variations of 10/100/1000/25.4 until things look about right. Also need to consider if you are working in real-world scale or model scale, Makehuman will do things in real world scale, so if you are measuring cab dimensions off your scale model you need to scale one of them by 16mm/ft to suit.

On the face of it scaling in Blender is simple, select the object and hit 'S' and type the scaling factor you want, then enter.

There is more to it however, scaling in object mode scales the "container" of the object, which affects it visually, but the locations of the points within the object stay the same. Some tools e.g. file exporters might not recognise the container scale and will export the underlying points unscaled. After doing a scale in object mode, if you hit Ctrl+A and choose scale it will reset the scale of the container to 1 and actually affect the coordinates of the points within the object. Its a good idea to apply the scale this way after scaling in object mode to make sure things work as you would expect.