3D Printed Bicycle

What is your latest project?
philipy

3D Printed Bicycle

Post by philipy » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:40 pm

Following some posts on Riks' CDR Railcar No.10 thread, I thought it better to start a new thread rather than hijack Rik's, since it is only of passing relevance.
So, my original post is copied here:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=
" I had another trawl around for bike files and came up with this one on Thingiverse:
www.thingiverse.com/thing:4050110.

By reducing the drawings to 40% on the slicer it comes out at about 95mm long which is again about right for a 16mm bike. An hour or so printing and 20mins assembly of the half a dozen component pieces got me this ( in works grey and still needing a clean up.):
file.jpg
file.jpg (124.15 KiB) Viewed 3194 times
The files are labelled in Dutch ( I think) and that would explain the front carrier which would be unusual on a UK mans bike. It actually comes with the file to print a crate to sit on the front, but after a 60% size reduction it was too flimsy to print properly and I think I'll take the front carrier off, a couple seconds with a scalpel should deal with that.
The only other detail which is missing are the chain sprockets, and they would be easy enough to make up from a piece of styrene."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I then decided that printing a clip-on sprocket and chain would be better looking. That was simple enough to draw up and print, but having attached it, I realised that the original drawing is very 'flat' and my new attachment was sitting outside the bike frames.
So, then I had to alter the drawing and widen it to get it to sit inside the forks. That opened a whole can of worms because I was trying to alter .stl files and not actual modelling files. The final version has solid forks rather than the correct inverted Y shape, but it looks OK from a distance.
The original pedals module fitted over the bottom point of the frames, but that no longer worked with the chain sprockets in the way, so I had to split them and make them attach separately.
The next problem was that the handlebars now looked too narrow for the wider frame, so they had to be altered and made wider.
Whilst I was at it, I added a tyre pump to the top edge of the frame, but its a wee bit small to print properly.

The final result is OK although not brilliant, and is a classic case of, "If I was going from here to there, I'd start from somewhere else"! In hindsight it would probably have been quicker and simpler, and possibly more accurate to have started from scratch, but getting the dims of a vintage bike is a problem these days.
DSC_0003[1] small.jpg
DSC_0003[1] small.jpg (133.59 KiB) Viewed 3197 times
If anyone wants the stl files, drop me a PM with an email address and I'll send them on.
Philip

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Re: 3D Printed Bicycle

Post by Lonsdaler » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:06 pm

Still very impressive Philip, even with the faffing. Having a quick look for dimensions of a sit up and beg bicycle I came across this - the 'Bertie' model is most analogous to your model. Presumably with a given wheel size of 28 inches, it would be relatively easy to scale from there, particularly with the few extra dimensions given?
http://www.begbicycles.com/specifications
No pressure :lol: but I thought you might be interested :D
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:13 pm

Thanks Phil. I spent ages looking for bike dims to get the handlebar width, but didn't come across this site. Whats really interesting is that they actually describe it as a "Dutch porters bike".
Philip

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:45 pm

Just to complete the build, here it is with added chain and guard, and painted.

If it's taught me one thing, it is that my hand is nowhere near as steady as it used to be! :(
DSC_0002 small.jpg
DSC_0002 small.jpg (110.57 KiB) Viewed 3052 times
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:03 pm

philipy wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:45 pm Just to complete the build, here it is with added chain and guard, and painted.

If it's taught me one thing, it is that my hand is nowhere near as steady as it used to be! :(
DSC_0002 small.jpg
Looks pretty darned fine to me. I've printed the two halves of mine but not had a chance to tidy them up and put them together. I reduced mine a bit more but that's made the whole thing a lot more spindly so I might try another using a 40% reduction like yours.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:09 pm

philipy wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:45 pm Just to complete the build, here it is with added chain and guard, and painted.

DSC_0002 small.jpg
That looks brilliant Philip. I know what you mean about the steady hand too :roll:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077