Rylston Pickle Factory

What is your latest project?
RylstonLight
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Rylston Pickle Factory

Post by RylstonLight » Tue May 19, 2020 8:09 pm

I thought I’d share this afternoon’s “work”.

I spent quite sometime weeding (nettles, brambles, creeping buttercup), so I thought I deserved some “railway” time. In preparation for Mark 2 of the Rylston Light I need to repair, renovate and repurpose a certain degree of Mark 1 infrastructure. Who knew - the 3 R’s came in useful after all.

Not surprisingly quarrying is a staple revenue for the RLR, but few realise that the dale is also home of the famous Rylston Pickles. If you visit the village on a day with just a slight breeze in the wrong direction then you have a constant olfactory reminder of its presence.
ABA4B2C8-7EB2-49F7-824A-D80EC07FBA6B.jpeg
ABA4B2C8-7EB2-49F7-824A-D80EC07FBA6B.jpeg (121.24 KiB) Viewed 4494 times
This cameo disguses the ravages of nearly 2 decades in the garden. The basic structure is carved aerated concrete blocks so survives well, but the roofs and fascias have needed some TLC. The picture below has some new sub-roofs, rotten strip-wood cut out and replaced but is very much a yet another work in progress.
58A24D2B-D947-447B-9D32-187A74A10ABB.jpeg
58A24D2B-D947-447B-9D32-187A74A10ABB.jpeg (162.2 KiB) Viewed 4494 times
I am sorry that the image is only visual and that you don’t get the full experience. Please view whilst chewing on a pickled onion :lol:

Andy
Andy S. at the Rylston Light Railway

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: Rylston Pickle Factory

Post by Peter Butler » Tue May 19, 2020 8:51 pm

That's one impressive structure, and must be large, as well as heavy!
It has a kind of brewery appearance to it, hardly surprising really.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Tue May 19, 2020 8:57 pm

Those are great pictures. Very impressive and realistic.
Ian

RylstonLight
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RylstonLight » Tue May 19, 2020 9:27 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:51 pm . . ., and must be large, as well as heavy!
It has a kind of brewery appearance to it, hardly surprising really.
It is modular; each module is one block of aerated concrete. But it is bulked out by (originally plywood but now) styrene fascias that add the impression of bulk with very little extra weight. A century ago when the internet was young the inspiration for this build was a certain Sandstone and Termite Railway website (now also of this manor) which showed how to carve Hebel blocks. Many thanks for the inspiration, my aerated concrete viaduct lasted well, but never looked as impressive as the SaTR versions. For that I have moved onto casting but that is another project in progress.

Andy
Andy S. at the Rylston Light Railway

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Tue May 19, 2020 11:57 pm

RylstonLight wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:27 pm ...... A century ago when the internet was young the inspiration for this build was a certain Sandstone and Termite Railway website (now also of this manor) which showed how to carve Hebel blocks. Many thanks for the inspiration, my aerated concrete viaduct lasted well, but never looked as impressive as the SaTR versions. For that I have moved onto casting but that is another project in progress.
Andy
Thank you for your reference to my 'love' of aerated conc blocks. Mine are still around, some after 20 years.
Your Pickle factory is a most impressive building. That B&W pic is great. (Glad I'm a long way away from the smell.)
Like you, the parts that do weather and need replacing are the 'trim' bits. Even my styrene window frames, barge boards etc finally fall (or get knocked) off.
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Wed May 20, 2020 8:04 am

Black and white is just so atmospheric, love it :D

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Wed May 20, 2020 10:39 am

Very impressive. And I’m a bit of a zealot when it comes to pickled onions. I’m particularly taken with the convincing period packaging in the stack of ‘Pickles and Preserves’ boxes. Neat

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed May 20, 2020 2:32 pm

Great looking building - I really like all the different angles it has - very vernacular.....

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube