CDR Railcar No. 10

What is your latest project?
Andrew

Re: CDR Railcar No. 10

Post by Andrew » Tue May 05, 2020 2:18 pm

ge_rik wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:04 pm ...she's beginning to look the part.
She really is!

I was looking at some photos of Irish railcars lately, including the ones that ended up on the IoM - are you sure you couldn't be tempted into "updating" your passenger livery for this new-fangled form of motive power with a nice cream stripe??!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/25337191@N04/4057858396

Looking forward to seeing the finished thing snaking its way round your garden...

Andrew

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue May 05, 2020 2:23 pm

Andrew wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 2:18 pm
I was looking at some photos of Irish railcars lately, including the ones that ended up on the IoM - are you sure you couldn't be tempted into "updating" your passenger livery for this new-fangled form of motive power with a nice cream stripe??!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/25337191@N04/4057858396

Looking forward to seeing the finished thing snaking its way round your garden...

Andrew
Very tempting! I might give it a try...

Thanks for the link. There's also a very good picture of No. 10 in her Clogher Valley days on there which I've not seen before.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon May 25, 2020 9:37 am

Further update. It's been a while since I posted on progress, but I have been steadily tinkering away with the railcar. I tend to have around three projects on the go at any one time so I can get on with something else while waiting for paint to dry or for stuff to arrive.

All seats now printed, assembled, painted and installed and she's been through the paint-shop. There's still more to do - mostly tweaking and finer detailing - and (as is always the case with my projects) a bit of remediation. However, she's now looking more presentable.
IMG_0630.JPG
IMG_0630.JPG (126.48 KiB) Viewed 6180 times
A bit more work needed on tidying up the bonnet and the cab roof will be screwed into place once I've finished tinkering with the electrics. The loose cable in the cab will eventually provide lighting for the passenger compartment.
IMG_0631.JPG
IMG_0631.JPG (104.81 KiB) Viewed 6180 times
The steps need painting and weathering and handrails need adding. I'll also print out some luggage for the roof rack. I'm looking for a basket of chickens or geese which I think will add a agrestic touch! I can't disguise the join in the roof, unfortunately. Maybe, once I've peopled the interior and installed the lighting I'll just fill it, sand it and paint it and hope I won't have to reglue the passengers or sort out lighting problems!
IMG_0632.JPG
IMG_0632.JPG (115.56 KiB) Viewed 6180 times
My hard work on the filing, filling and sanding of the tail end seems to have paid off - as long as you don't look too closely! I'll add a swivelling coupling to the rear as initially, I want to tow a luggage van but eventually add a dummy railcar to make it double ended - thereby avoiding having to install turntables at each end of the line!

It's been a challenge putting together a bare bones etched brass kit without instructions and with no additional fitments and fittings, but I am quite pleased with the result. I know there are modellers on the forum who would have produced a far finer model - but this has very much been a learning experience. I'm not sure I will rush to make another brass kit. I am much happier working with plasticard - particularly as I can more readily cover up my mistakes - or maybe avoid making them in the first place.

Rik
------------------------

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon May 25, 2020 10:28 am

Brilliant Rik..... I think you have worked wonders from the materials you began with and have had to learn new skills on the way to completion. The final touches you propose will all help to take the eye from any slight imperfections, which probably only you would be aware of..... stop pointing them out!
The overall effect is what we are aiming to achieve and when in the garden doing its day-job it will be something to be proud of.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Mon May 25, 2020 10:38 am

I agree totally with Peter, considering what you started out with, missing items and instructions etc. you've ended up with a nice working model. Well done.
Grant.

SeamusOD
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by SeamusOD » Mon May 25, 2020 10:59 am

If there wasnt a red van behind a bicycle would have been common on the roof, livestock would have been carried in a grey van

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon May 25, 2020 1:15 pm

Very nicely done Rik.

Re the roof joint, rather than seal it and hope you don't need access in future ( you know you will just as soon as it's sealed!) you could disguise it with 'joint strips' running from eaves to the luggage up rack on one side of the joint. Matching dummy strips at the front end would act to draw to eye away somewhat as well. Not prototypical, but who knows what repairs the PLR engineers might have dreamed up over the years!
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon May 25, 2020 2:33 pm

philipy wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:15 pm Very nicely done Rik.

Re the roof joint, rather than seal it and hope you don't need access in future ( you know you will just as soon as it's sealed!) you could disguise it with 'joint strips' running from eaves to the luggage up rack on one side of the joint. Matching dummy strips at the front end would act to draw to eye away somewhat as well. Not prototypical, but who knows what repairs the PLR engineers might have dreamed up over the years!
I like that idea, Philip. The PLR workshop crew are always coming up with fanciful ideas and modifications. As you say, who will know the difference?

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon May 25, 2020 2:34 pm

SeamusOD wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:59 am If there wasnt a red van behind a bicycle would have been common on the roof, livestock would have been carried in a grey van
I like the idea of a bike on the roof rack. Thanks.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon May 25, 2020 2:38 pm

LNR wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:38 am I agree totally with Peter, considering what you started out with, missing items and instructions etc. you've ended up with a nice working model. Well done.
Grant.
Peter Butler wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:28 am Brilliant Rik..... I think you have worked wonders from the materials you began with and have had to learn new skills on the way to completion. The final touches you propose will all help to take the eye from any slight imperfections, which probably only you would be aware of..... stop pointing them out!
The overall effect is what we are aiming to achieve and when in the garden doing its day-job it will be something to be proud of.
Thanks chaps. Much appreciated.
Just trying to decide what model of trail car to construct. I fancy one of the smaller four wheel railcars but, in reality, I doubt it would have had sufficient power to tow No. 10 on the return trip. Unless, of course, the PLR mechanics installed a more powerful engine....

Rik
------------------------

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Mon May 25, 2020 10:00 pm

A grand build of an interesting and iconic prototype. If that is your first go at building in brass then hats off I say to a fine job!

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Tue May 26, 2020 5:55 am

Looking great. The windows came out well.
Has it got RC and sound yet?
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue May 26, 2020 8:59 am

gregh wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:55 am Looking great. The windows came out well.
Yes, thanks, I'm very pleased with that aspect.
I noticed the depth of the frames was greater in photos of the real thing than would be achieved with the thickness (or rather thinness) of the brass body shell, so (following Greg's suggestion offline), I thickened them with strips of 1.5mm thick plasticard. The cab was the most difficult! I blame my dad for inheriting his short fat fingers!
gregh wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:55 am Has it got RC and sound yet?
Oh yes! See https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 15#p152486

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue May 26, 2020 9:10 am

gregh wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:55 am The windows came out well.
Another thing I'm really pleased with is the fancy beading just below the windows on the cab. For some reason, there wasn't enough beading in the kit (unless I somehow lost it) to go round the cab. I toyed with the idea of soldering thin wire but decided my soldering skills were such that it would end up looking a mess. A rummage through my plastic bits box unearthed one length of Plastruct I-beam which was exactly the right width (6mm). I very carefully sanded it down to match the brass etched beading on the passenger trailer.

As I said earlier, I'm much more at home with plasticard than brass .......😏

Rik
------------------------

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Tue May 26, 2020 2:30 pm

ge_rik wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:38 pmJust trying to decide what model of trail car to construct. I fancy one of the smaller four wheel railcars but, in reality, I doubt it would have had sufficient power to tow No. 10 on the return trip. Unless, of course, the PLR mechanics installed a more powerful engine....
The model has come up well, especially given what you had to work with. I guess it has inmproved your soldering skills as well.... ;)

Railmotor trailers are a problem that I'm still wrestling with as well. Not helped by the Irish Walker railcars being built on the cheap, with what amounted to a road truck drive train, so they had to be turned at each end of a run. The Aust ones were built with more sophisticated transmissions, so that they could be driven from either end.

My first thought was to just use a 4 wheel goods van painted to match the railmotor, which would carry the mail and parcels. I'm now leaning towards a bogie trailer with a driving cab at one end, so the train doesn't need turning. We'll quietly gloss over where the TVT found the money for a railmotor, let alone a driving trailer as well.......... :roll:

I think you'd need something a lot more substantial than a Ford TT, or AA, truck chassis with a bus body to tow the CVR railcar around. The CVR Walker railtruck could do the job though, although it might look better if fitted with a van body, rather than the open tray of the original.

Regards,
Graeme

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed May 27, 2020 2:19 pm

That's looking wonderful Rik, well done!

And I take it back re the stripes, it doesn't need 'em at all, PLR Deep Crimson suits it perfectly!

Very much looking forward to seeing it on film in due course...

Andrew.

Snailrail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Snailrail » Wed May 27, 2020 7:51 pm

You've done a great job there Rik, a fantastic looking model. I'd be very proud of that.
Brian

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu May 28, 2020 8:22 pm

GTB wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:30 pm I think you'd need something a lot more substantial than a Ford TT, or AA, truck chassis with a bus body to tow the CVR railcar around. The CVR Walker railtruck could do the job though, although it might look better if fitted with a van body, rather than the open tray of the original.
Regards,
Graeme
That's a great idea, thanks. I do like the Walker railtruck. I'm thinking it would be unpowered - but there's part of me that would love to see it pottering around. Unless, of course, I make it so it can slot on to No. 10's motor block...... !!! Now where's my pencil?

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu May 28, 2020 8:43 pm

Andrew wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:19 pm And I take it back re the stripes, it doesn't need 'em at all, PLR Deep Crimson suits it perfectly!
Very much looking forward to seeing it on film in due course...
Andrew.
You must be psychic, Andrew.

I decided against the CDR colour scheme in favour of the PLR's. It fits my story of the directors travelling on the Clogher Valley Railway where No.10 originated and being so impressed with the CVR railcar they immediately ordered one just like it for the PLR.

Here she is now resplendent in full PLR passenger livery.
DSCN0519.JPG
DSCN0519.JPG (91.97 KiB) Viewed 5906 times
As you can see, the paintwork around the bonnet has been tidied up as has the wiring on the cab
DSCN0521.JPG
DSCN0521.JPG (78.17 KiB) Viewed 5906 times
The tractor and trailer units now sport the PLR's crest and handrails have been added for the convenience of the passengers - who are now seated inside (enjoying electric lighting)
DSCN0522.JPG
DSCN0522.JPG (112.31 KiB) Viewed 5906 times
I followed the suggestion of adding strips across the roof to disguise the join - thanks, good idea.
DSCN0523.JPG
DSCN0523.JPG (88.16 KiB) Viewed 5906 times
And there is now luggage on the roof - mostly 3D printed including the bike (but don't look too closely it's a bit too modern for 1932. Eventually I'll find a sit-up and beg model with a basket on the front!)
And, as requested, here she is in action

I am pleased to say she negotiated the trackwork on the PLR without issue, though I had to remove a packing case from the roof rack as it wouldn't fit under the bridge!

Rik
------------------------

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Thu May 28, 2020 10:18 pm

Rik love it, want one, how about you sell me that one, and build yourself a new one ;)