CDR Railcar No. 10

What is your latest project?
Andrew

Re: CDR Railcar No. 10

Post by Andrew » Wed May 27, 2020 2:19 pm

That's looking wonderful Rik, well done!

And I take it back re the stripes, it doesn't need 'em at all, PLR Deep Crimson suits it perfectly!

Very much looking forward to seeing it on film in due course...

Andrew.

Snailrail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Snailrail » Wed May 27, 2020 7:51 pm

You've done a great job there Rik, a fantastic looking model. I'd be very proud of that.
Brian

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu May 28, 2020 8:22 pm

GTB wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:30 pm I think you'd need something a lot more substantial than a Ford TT, or AA, truck chassis with a bus body to tow the CVR railcar around. The CVR Walker railtruck could do the job though, although it might look better if fitted with a van body, rather than the open tray of the original.
Regards,
Graeme
That's a great idea, thanks. I do like the Walker railtruck. I'm thinking it would be unpowered - but there's part of me that would love to see it pottering around. Unless, of course, I make it so it can slot on to No. 10's motor block...... !!! Now where's my pencil?

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu May 28, 2020 8:43 pm

Andrew wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:19 pm And I take it back re the stripes, it doesn't need 'em at all, PLR Deep Crimson suits it perfectly!
Very much looking forward to seeing it on film in due course...
Andrew.
You must be psychic, Andrew.

I decided against the CDR colour scheme in favour of the PLR's. It fits my story of the directors travelling on the Clogher Valley Railway where No.10 originated and being so impressed with the CVR railcar they immediately ordered one just like it for the PLR.

Here she is now resplendent in full PLR passenger livery.
DSCN0519.JPG
DSCN0519.JPG (91.97 KiB) Viewed 5905 times
As you can see, the paintwork around the bonnet has been tidied up as has the wiring on the cab
DSCN0521.JPG
DSCN0521.JPG (78.17 KiB) Viewed 5905 times
The tractor and trailer units now sport the PLR's crest and handrails have been added for the convenience of the passengers - who are now seated inside (enjoying electric lighting)
DSCN0522.JPG
DSCN0522.JPG (112.31 KiB) Viewed 5905 times
I followed the suggestion of adding strips across the roof to disguise the join - thanks, good idea.
DSCN0523.JPG
DSCN0523.JPG (88.16 KiB) Viewed 5905 times
And there is now luggage on the roof - mostly 3D printed including the bike (but don't look too closely it's a bit too modern for 1932. Eventually I'll find a sit-up and beg model with a basket on the front!)
And, as requested, here she is in action

I am pleased to say she negotiated the trackwork on the PLR without issue, though I had to remove a packing case from the roof rack as it wouldn't fit under the bridge!

Rik
------------------------

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Thu May 28, 2020 10:18 pm

Rik love it, want one, how about you sell me that one, and build yourself a new one ;)

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Thu May 28, 2020 10:41 pm

You have really done the railcar justice. Lots of us have a soft spot for the CDR railcars. It fits in perfectly on your line.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu May 28, 2020 10:43 pm

What an absolute stunner, well done Rick, she is gorgeous and well worth the singed fingers!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri May 29, 2020 6:00 am

Brilliant job, Rik. Looks and runs very well and fits your line beautifully.
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri May 29, 2020 7:33 am

Jimmyb wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:18 pm Rik love it, want one, how about you sell me that one, and build yourself a new one ;)
If I did, it would be in plasticard. I know my strengths and limitations.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri May 29, 2020 7:37 am

Peter Butler wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:43 pm What an absolute stunner, well done Rick, she is gorgeous and well worth the singed fingers!
Like most things, I see this as a learning experience. I'm not sure I've fully done the kit justice or yet quite perfected my soldering skills. The videos of master builders on YouTube make it look a lot easier than it turned out to be, particularly where access was tricky. Interestingly, the worst burn I got was picking up a blunt drill bit after trying to drill a hole..... !

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri May 29, 2020 7:40 am

philipy wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 6:00 am Brilliant job, Rik. Looks and runs very well and fits your line beautifully.
invicta280 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:41 pm You have really done the railcar justice. Lots of us have a soft spot for the CDR railcars. It fits in perfectly on your line.
Thanks chaps. I've always fancied having a CDR Railcar and No. 10 looked the most appropriate. The later ones look too slick for the PLR - though some of the early 4 wheelers look very attractive ...... 😳

Rik
------------------------

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Fri May 29, 2020 8:07 am

:thumbleft:
ge_rik wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:33 am
Jimmyb wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:18 pm Rik love it, want one, how about you sell me that one, and build yourself a new one ;)
If I did, it would be in plasticard. I know my strengths and limitations.

Rik

Tropic Blunder
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Tropic Blunder » Sat May 30, 2020 1:23 am

Looks amazing rick!
Jake

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Sat May 30, 2020 1:22 pm

ge_rik wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:22 pm I do like the Walker railtruck. I'm thinking it would be unpowered - but there's part of me that would love to see it pottering around. Unless, of course, I make it so it can slot on to No. 10's motor block...... !!!
The railmotor looks good in service. The driver must be impressed with his new charge, as he is keeping it nice and clean..... ;)

If the motor block you used under No. 10 is still available from the supplier, I'd be powering the railtruck. That way it can also be used on it's own for a bit of light shunting, or running light mixed trains on it's own.

From what I've read the motor unit of the railtruck was interchangeable with the motor unit of No. 10. It was sold without the motor to the CDJR and they are said to have used the cab to repair collision damage on No. 10. Looking at photos the only visible difference is a frame extension bolted on the back of the chassis to support the dropside body.

Like the railmotor, there is no visible cab door on either side, so presumably the driver had to clamber over the side of the truck portion to enter via the door in the back of the cab......... :shock:

Building the cab body work should be fairly easy in polystyrene, as you have the existing model to use as a pattern. The 'unit' as the CVR called it is a much simpler scratchbuilding proposition than a railmotor. Go for it!!

Regards,
Graeme

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat May 30, 2020 1:31 pm

Lovely job Rik, and thanks for the film - the finished thing looks VERY at home on your line, particularly with the wagons trailing along behind. You'll have to watch it or the management will want to scrap all those expensive and extravagant carriages and steam locos and just order a couple more of these...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:06 pm

Pendle Valley Models do a generic bicycle in white metal for about £2.50, or you can splash out for a 1950s style gentleman's Raleigh cycle from Trenarren Models for £19.95! Given you now have the ability to print items, I suppose you will be better to try and find a pattern online to produce your own period cycle! ;)
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:04 pm

Lonsdaler wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:06 pm Pendle Valley Models do a generic bicycle in white metal for about £2.50, or you can splash out for a 1950s style gentleman's Raleigh cycle from Trenarren Models for £19.95! Given you now have the ability to print items, I suppose you will be better to try and find a pattern online to produce your own period cycle! ;)
Thanks. I think I'll resist the £20 job, but might be tempted by the £2.50 model, unless, as you say, I can find a decent 3d drawing.

Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:46 pm

ge_rik wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:04 pm
Thanks. I think I'll resist the £20 job, but might be tempted by the £2.50 model, unless, as you say, I can find a decent 3d drawing.

Rik
Let me know if you do Rik. I've looked a couple of times in the past without finding anything worth having.
Philip

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:05 am

Catching up again on this superb build. Suits your line perfectly, Rik.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:33 pm

Following my comment yesterday, being unable to get outside in today's weather, I had another trawl around for bike files and came up with this one on Thingiverse:
www.thingiverse.com/thing:4050110.

By reducing the drawings to 40% on the slicer it comes out at about 95mm long which is again about right for a 16mm bike. An hour or so printing and 20mins assembly of the half a dozen component pieces got me this ( in works grey and still needing a clean up.):
DSC_0003 small.jpg
DSC_0003 small.jpg (124.15 KiB) Viewed 4636 times
The files are labelled in Dutch ( I think) and that would explain the front carrier which would be unusual on a UK mans bike. It actually comes with the file to print a crate to sit on the front, but after a 60% size reduction it was too flimsy to print properly and I think I'll take the front carrier off, a couple seconds with a scalpel should deal with that.
The only other detail which is missing are the chain sprockets, and they would be easy enough to make up from a piece of styrene.
Philip