Coronavirus projects

What is your latest project?
JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Coronavirus projects

Post by JMORG » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:25 am

With some of use locked down for the time being (I'm still working at work), I thought it would be fun to talk about what we plan to weather the storm doing.
Whatever it is, post it! I'll start:
IMG-20200320-WA0019_resize_88~2.jpg
IMG-20200320-WA0019_resize_88~2.jpg (109.66 KiB) Viewed 6747 times
PDF Double Fairlie. This one is being detailed with pipework, bunkers ect. Bespoke, laser cut steel chassis's will be used with steel wheels and rods.
IMG-20200315-WA0009_resize_92.jpg
IMG-20200315-WA0009_resize_92.jpg (247.69 KiB) Viewed 6747 times
Lineside hut slate waggon and scratch built NWNGR slate box wagon

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: Coronavirus projects

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:50 am

I'l be interested to watch progress on the Double Fairlie, having just finished my second Hunslet from PDF I am impressed by the kits and the value for money they offer. They are an excellent base to work on adding as much extra detail as you want......
IMG_7039.JPG
IMG_7039.JPG (132.79 KiB) Viewed 6735 times
IMG_7088.JPG
IMG_7088.JPG (145.12 KiB) Viewed 6735 times
The Lineside Hut laser cut kits are also well produced and make into good models.....
IMG_5932.JPG
IMG_5932.JPG (126.65 KiB) Viewed 6735 times
IMG_6230.JPG
IMG_6230.JPG (156.42 KiB) Viewed 6735 times
Like any kit, you get out what you put in, so a little additional preparation time always pays dividends.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:59 pm

I've just dug out an enormous etched brass kit for County Donegal Railcar No.10 which has been sitting there for around five years.

1. I've never made an etched brass kit before
2. The kit does not have any instructions

I persuaded John Campbell to sell me a kit at the Llanfair Show - John is the chap who used to exhibit those wonderful operating crane layouts where sand was loaded and transported. He doesn't normally sell them but I twisted his arm by promising to make him a bespoke Deltang transmitter. I hadn't realised there would be no documentation with it so have been repeatedly putting it on the back burner.....

The brass is now quite tarnished and so it's not just a case of separating all the bits from the fret, they also need a fair bit of elbow grease before I can start trying to figure what goes where - and actually what some of the bits are.

Any tips on making etched kits would be most gratefully received.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:48 pm

ge_rik wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:59 pmAny tips on making etched kits would be most gratefully received.
You will need:
- A big iron, at least 100W.
- Small gas blow torch.
- 60/40 tin/lead solder with no flux cores.
- Powerflow flux in a yellow tub.
- Patience.
- Practice.

Remember:
- Cleanliness is next to Godliness.
- A bad workman CAN blame his tools (but only because he has the wrong tools!).
- Heat sinks are wonderful things.
- Wooden clothes pegs make great clamps.
- Tacking a joint works well.
- For awkward joints, apply solder to both edges before trying to stick them together.
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:05 pm

Thanks Tony

Just in the process of separating all the pieces from the sheet. Taking ages. It's quite heavy gauge brass and the only way I can get through all the little tabs is with a slitting disk. I think I've got through over a dozen disks so far and I'm less than half way through.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:17 pm

Progress of sorts ....

There are three sheets (not to the wind..... :? ) and I've so far prepared one of them.

Before .....
DSCN0367.JPG
DSCN0367.JPG (91.88 KiB) Viewed 6670 times
..... and after ....
DSCN0371.JPG
DSCN0371.JPG (91.73 KiB) Viewed 6670 times
It took a while, but I've now figured out how those parts fit together. Well, nearly all. I just cannot figure where these parts go.
DSCN0373.JPG
DSCN0373.JPG (84.38 KiB) Viewed 6670 times
I've tried the rivet strips against all the other parts and they don't seem to fit any of them. And Goodness knows what the elliptical piece is for. I wondered if it might be an instrument panel for the cab, but there's nowhere obvious for it to fit. I've downloaded as many photos of the railcar (which is preserved in the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum) as I can find, but cannot spot this missing jigsaw piece.

We were planning a trip to Ireland this year and the museum was on the list of places to visit...... Looks like I may have to wait a while before I can identify that mystery part.

Rik
------------------------

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:39 pm

Hi all,

I'm still going in to work at the moment, but will be working from home for much of next week, and I suspect that will grow to be 100% of the time pretty soon. Technically, of course, my work output will be just as it always is, but I can't help thinking that I'll have just a little more spare time on my hands and have planned accordingly...

I've got the building projects to finish once spray painting weather is upon us (and it does seem to be warming up a bit...) but also some rolling stock projects to progress - five more tipper wagons to finish, drawings and materials for a model of Ffestiniog Van 4/Carriage 11, and bits and bobs for some more smaller WHR and FR wagons. Plus the railway itself to get into shape of course. Oh, and the Kerr Stuart diesel project, a tender for my Regner Konrad, further detailing on Baldwin 590...

A fair bit to be getting on with then...

Look after yourselves,

Andrew

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:41 pm

PS, loving the wagons JMORG, and the Hunslet Peter - can I justify one?!! Rik, the railcar kit looks terrifying, but will be lovely when it's done, and a perfect addition to your line...

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:07 pm

Rik, I have just Googled Railcar No 10 and it is a lovely looking item to be sure!
Does your kit include the passenger compartment too? It will be quite a beast.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Puddlejumper
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Puddlejumper » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:49 pm

ge_rik wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:05 pm Thanks Tony

Just in the process of separating all the pieces from the sheet. Taking ages. It's quite heavy gauge brass and the only way I can get through all the little tabs is with a slitting disk. I think I've got through over a dozen disks so far and I'm less than half way through.

Rik
Hi Rik
Try using a cheap wood chisel to cut through the tangs with the etch on a flat surface, certainly works with my 0 gauge stuff.
Doug

Hopelessly bodging stuff into some sort of semblance of a railway up in the frozen wasteland of County Durham.
16mm(ish) scale NG on 32mm track

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:18 am

ge_rik wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:17 pm I've tried the rivet strips against all the other parts and they don't seem to fit any of them. And Goodness knows what the elliptical piece is for. I wondered if it might be an instrument panel for the cab, but there's nowhere obvious for it to fit. I've downloaded as many photos of the railcar (which is preserved in the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum) as I can find, but cannot spot this missing jigsaw piece.
That should keep you off the streets for a while...... ;)

If you can find a copy of Roger Crombleholme’s 'County Donegal Railways Companion', that has a good drawing and some useful photos of CDR #10.

The elliptical part is indeed the instrument panel, it was mounted inside the driving compartment under the window, on the left.

The riveted strips fit around the engine cover where it meets the cab unit. One curved one is on the front of the driving compartment, the other curved one is on the front of the recessed part of the cab and the straight one is on the side of the cab, connecting the other two. The other half cab Walker railcars had the same arrangement.

I'd agree with Tony about needing a 100W soldering iron. I use a soldering station, as it can be used for electronics and white metal as well and the smaller handpiece can get into areas a large fixed temperature iron can't. For this sort of job it needs the largest tip you can get for it.

Also use a liquid flux, rosin cored solder isn't really up to the job of soldering long joints in brass. If you have a choice, avoid lead free solder, it's a pain in the what he said for soldering long joints in brass. As Tony indicates, tinning the edges first, then tacking the joint in a few places works best. Also only run the solder in short lengths, moving back and forwards along the joint until finished. If you try and run a long seam in one run, the metal will expand and things will move around.

I don't usually use a gas torch on thin brass sheet, it's too easy to overheat the brass, which will then go soft and probably warp. I only use a torch for soft soldering large lumps of brass, where the metal will otherwise conduct the heat away faster than you can put it in, even with a 100W iron.

What are you planning on using as a power unit? Walkers have a long wheelbase motor unit (~100mm) and it won't look right with a short one.

I seem to remember reading the full kits came with resin mouldings for some parts, like the bonnet top, roof ends, etc. Probably a few whitemetal parts as well for things like radiators. Easiest way to make those parts will probably be by laminating polystyrene sheet. Unless you have some fine grain wood that won't take many, many coats of sanding sealer and much rubbing down to get a decent finish.

Regards,
Graeme

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:59 am

Puddlejumper wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:49 pm Hi Rik
Try using a cheap wood chisel to cut through the tangs with the etch on a flat surface, certainly works with my 0 gauge stuff.
Thanks Doug. I did consider using a chisel but I was worried I might distort the parts in the process. I suppose putting a wood block underneath might help.
And thanks for "tangs". I wondered what they were called.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:11 am

Thanks for the info and advice, Graeme. I'll see if I can track down that book online, it sounds very useful.

I figured there are parts missing. John told me I'd have to fashion my own curved roofs but didn't mention things like the radiator. I suppose it's more of a bare-bones kit.
I bought a power unit from G-Bits. It's adapted from an Aristocraft motor block.
http://www.g-bits.co.uk/CDJRCchassis.html

The wheelbase is identical to that of the chassis supplied in the kit. I'll need to combine it with the kids chassis to make it the right length, but hopefully that won't be too difficult.

A quickie question. Just wondering how to stop something becoming unsoldered when soldering nearby. Astute use of low melt solder, maybe?

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:13 am

Peter Butler wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:07 pm Rik, I have just Googled Railcar No 10 and it is a lovely looking item to be sure!
Does your kit include the passenger compartment too? It will be quite a beast.
Oh yes.....! :shock: Just now working on removing and identifying all those bits..... :?

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:37 am

I'm going to start a separate thread on my CDR railcar build. There's a risk I might end up monopolising this thread having seen how many bits there are in the kit ...... :shock: :lol:

https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 25&t=12713

Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:59 pm

I've had a project on the boil since last September, which I'm hoping to get finished in the next few weeks.
It is partly railway related and partly garden related. I have previously mentioned the financially strapped Lord Elderbury and here he is standing at the front door of his stateley pile, but 'nuff said for now! :roll:
DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0001.JPG (115.28 KiB) Viewed 6719 times
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:54 pm

philipy wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:59 pm I've had a project on the boil since last September, which I'm hoping to get finished in the next few weeks.
It is partly railway related and partly garden related. I have previously mentioned the financially strapped Lord Elderbury and here he is standing at the front door of his stateley pile, but 'nuff said for now! :roll:

DSC_0001.JPG
He looks Mafioso, just needs dark glasses!..... 8) ;)

Rik
------------------------

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:06 pm

He's got shifty looking eyes, I'm interested in his "stately pile" looks very good.
Grant.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:56 am

LNR wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:06 pm He's got shifty looking eyes, I'm interested in his "stately pile" looks very good.
It does, doesn't it? Looking forward to learning more...

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:21 pm

I too will be watching these PDF Models builds with interest. Currently waiting for an invoice for one of their 50hp Baldwin kits..
As for current work, far too many projects currently in progress here to list, let alone those waiting in the wings(shelves, that is), or those still in planning..

Rik, that railmotor is huge! Looking forward to seeing how you get on with it.
Not wishing to one-up anyone, however besides layouts, I think I have the largest project in the thread.. :lol: :roll:

I know what you're thinking, but it is technically a railway project - it's primarily my new workshop. And secondarily, my house. Should be done in 2-3 months, then I can get on with the new railway. Might start a thread of my own on it, over in the off-topic section..
82533187_616116562291772_3712290643687505920_n.jpg
82533187_616116562291772_3712290643687505920_n.jpg (215.23 KiB) Viewed 6626 times
Last edited by Old Man Aaron on Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works