Coronavirus projects

What is your latest project?
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Coronavirus projects

Post by ge_rik » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:42 pm

Andrew wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:55 pm ... Didn't know the GER went in for them?
Cheers,
Andrew.
Hi Andrew
They were nowhere near as impressive as those on the GWR, East Anglia isn't noted for its mountains.... 🤔 However, they were cheap and the GER was always cash strapped. I know of one on the Maldon Branch, one on the Snape Maltings branch and there was even one on the Southwold. Small scale affairs, but built on the same principles.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by dewintondave » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:19 am

Lovely railway pics in this thread!
Best wishes,
Dave

River Lin
Fireman
Fireman

Post by River Lin » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:55 pm

Hi all.
Just finished a PDF Models De-Winton i have been working on over the summer. I clad the boiler with rosewood (i think) cut from an old xylophone key, glued the strips on to the boiler and then cut three thin brass bands to length and rolled them around a Soy sauce bottle. I then taped the bands in place around the boiler before drilling 0.8mm holes through them and the boiler and gluing brass rivets into the holes. I then ground off the rivet ends that were sticking through inside the boiler.
For radio control, I installed a Locoremote receiver/controller and switch in the water tank, which was a very tight fit, and a resetting polyfuse between the frames. This RC works through a smartphone so no bulky transmitter is required.
I have now taken delivery of a PDF quarry hunslet. I will let you know how I model it.
IMG_20200924_211110.jpg
IMG_20200924_211110.jpg (167.96 KiB) Viewed 5125 times
David
David T.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:06 pm

Very nice model from a good and affordable kit. The quality of printing from PDF is excellent and needs some, although not too much preparation to give a perfect paint finish. I have built both of their Hunslet kits and they have been a real pleasure to do. My next PDF kit, which I am building and finishing for a friend, is the Double Fairlie.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:12 am

That looks very nice David, the boiler cladding is lovely.
What mechanism does it use, is it part of thhe PDF kit?
Any chance of a bit of video showing it running?
Philip

River Lin
Fireman
Fireman

Post by River Lin » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:56 am

Hi Philip.
The 12v motor and reducing gearbox is supplied with the kit and is mounted horizontally between the frames. The power is from (at present) a pp3 battery in the boiler and the RC and switch is in the water tank. I will try and post a vid on YouTube over the weekend.
David.
David T.

River Lin
Fireman
Fireman

Post by River Lin » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:55 pm

Hi all.
As I don't have access to a running line at present here is my De-Winton running on blocks using the Locoremote radio control on a smartphone. I like the way that the phone display also shows % of full speed and battery voltage.
It looks as though one of the cranks has slipped on its axle a little as it has started running a bit lumpy.
https://youtu.be/BPk9gIKKRT8
David.
David T.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:44 pm

The cranks do have a tendency to slip as the tiny grub screw can't be tightened enough on the hard steel axle. I had to drill through the axle ends and fit longer screws to cure the problem...... not easy, but it works!

River Lin
Fireman
Fireman

Post by River Lin » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:52 pm

:thumbright:
David.
David T.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:19 am

Thanks David, looks nice and smooth to me, just the faintest hint of a 'lump'. Could you file a flat on the axle ends?

Can't say I'd like that phone controller though ( apart from not having a mobile phone anyway ) I'd much prefer having a knob to twiddle.
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:50 am

That does look like a mighty fine model. I might be tempted......
philipy wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:19 am Can't say I'd like that phone controller though ( apart from not having a mobile phone anyway ) I'd much prefer having a knob to twiddle.
That was my conclusion after dabbling with mobile phone control. In addition, I struggled to see the buttons on the screen when the sun was shining - which does happen occasionally here in Cheshire ...... 🤭

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

River Lin
Fireman
Fireman

Post by River Lin » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:22 am

Hi all.
I haven't been able to try the system outside yet but for £39 in total it is worth giving it a go.
The loco kit only cost £81 including motor and gearbox so I have a radio controlled loco for £120 + a little work and paint (which I had anyway) :)
David.
David T.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:28 pm

philipy wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:19 am Thanks David, looks nice and smooth to me, just the faintest hint of a 'lump'. Could you file a flat on the axle ends?

I tried that first Philip, unfortunately the tiny grub screws, which use a .9mm Allen key, are not up to the job of pressing firmly on the axle due to rounding the key. Also, the screw becomes too short to hold the printed crank in position as it rotates on a bearing inside the crank. Problems, problems!

River Lin
Fireman
Fireman

Post by River Lin » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:37 pm

Hi all.
Latest lockdown project is a small hunslet called 'Junior' but for a granite quarry in sunny Leicestershire not a Welsh slate quarry. It should be quite distinctive with no cab, just a roof supported on 4 steel pillars. So far i have the underframe and cylinders painted matt black with the motion picked out in red.
https://youtu.be/KzK9I4anczU
David.
David T.

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:14 pm

My Coronavirus projects have been a load of Gauge 1 stock all of which has now run down the local model engineering club. Steadily getting there, just need to wait on some more chassis parts then I can design the chassis for the next pair of locos then some corridor coaches! Plus a load of other compartment coaches which will be a just for me project because the Bluebell have many coaches I'd love a model of!

Bowaters Models:- http://www.bowatersmodels.co.uk

Current Projects:-
Rebuilding the Railway!
Turning a Second hand 'Superior' into Bowaters 'Superior'