More figures for the PLR

What is your latest project?
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

More figures for the PLR

Post by ge_rik » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:41 pm

Just finished painting the next batch of passengers and personnel for the PLR. Quite a mixed bunch....
DSCN0292.JPG
DSCN0292.JPG (74.09 KiB) Viewed 3308 times
One group is of mixed origin. The driver is a rather fine resin Brandbright figure. The chap in the green suit hails from Cambrian (now Dean Goods), the nonchalant chap at the back came from Back2Bay6 and the seated wagon driver came with a plastic kit for a horse drawn Beer Dray. The other three were acquired in job lots at Fairs or on eBay - not sure where they were made.
DSCN0303.JPG
DSCN0303.JPG (103.74 KiB) Viewed 3308 times
This next batch are 3D printed figures from http://designscanprint3d.bigcartel.com/. Not bad at £5 a head. The folds in the clothing are beautifully represented but the faces and hands are a little blurry.
DSCN0301.JPG
DSCN0301.JPG (95.36 KiB) Viewed 3308 times
This bunch are Motley Miniatures. Resin cast figures with interchangeable heads so they can be customised to some extent. The level of detail is quite good, I feel. They are literally £1.00 a head (and £5 a body)!
DSCN0297.JPG
DSCN0297.JPG (82.66 KiB) Viewed 3308 times
The next gaggle are from ModelTown. Some of their figures are a bit chunky but I've found that if I am selective I can get some quite decent results. At £4.00 a head, they represent good value.
DSCN0295.JPG
DSCN0295.JPG (94.73 KiB) Viewed 3308 times
And last of all comes a small selection of Perfect People whitemetal figures. They're a bit pricier at around £6.50 but the level of detail is very high and the poses are realistic (though quite why the ticket collector is prancing I have no idea - perhaps it's payday?). What I like is that they all fit into my 1930s era without much modification.
IMG_9812.JPG
IMG_9812.JPG (98.37 KiB) Viewed 3308 times
Some of the Perfect People require a small amount of assembly (eg arms and/or legs being attached) so I've written up how I did that for these three figures in case anyone is interested.
https://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2020/0 ... -some.html

Rik
Last edited by ge_rik on Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Re: Nore figures for the PLR

Post by philipy » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:55 pm

Rather taken by the fella in the last picture who seems to have lost his skipping rope!
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:50 pm

Looks like an ever hopeful song and dance man, practising his routine and waiting to be talent spotted. Don't call us.......
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:46 pm

I thought that last bloke to be a loco driver partially seated and knocking up a backhead throttle !!. You've certainly given your full colour palet a workout with all those figures Rik.
Grant.

Andrew

Re: More figures for the PLR

Post by Andrew » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:20 pm

Nice figures!

As I recall, the dancing chap used to be sold by Brandbright as a ticket collector, and came with a tall stool to sit on? His left leg was on the floor, with the right one on a strut between the stool's legs and one hand holding clippers, the other reaching out for a ticket... I wonder if the head was position-able - would have made more sense if he was looking at the person whose ticket he was asking for? Or is he looking at the ticket he's clipping, and reaching out in readiness for the next one? Clearly a busier station than most NG ones!

Cheers,

Andrew.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: More figures for the PLR

Post by ge_rik » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:23 pm

Andrew wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:20 pm Nice figures!

As I recall, the dancing chap used to be sold by Brandbright as a ticket collector, and came with a tall stool to sit on? His left leg was on the floor, with the right one on a strut between the stool's legs and one hand holding clippers, the other reaching out for a ticket... I wonder if the head was position-able - would have made more sense if he was looking at the person whose ticket he was asking for? Or is he looking at the ticket he's clipping, and reaching out in readiness for the next one? Clearly a busier station than most NG ones!

Cheers,

Andrew.
I did wonder if he was supposed to have his foot resting on something or other. No, the head is fixed, but you're right it would have made more sense if he was looking at the person with the ticket. I'll try playing about with him to see if I can put him somewhere he'll be comfortable. The arms were positionable, so maybe I should have swivelled his left arm so it was more in front of him.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube