Another rc system for the PLR

What is your latest project?
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Another rc system for the PLR

Post by ge_rik » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:44 pm

FWLR wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:17 am Ok Rik, that controller does look good....Thoughts about selling them...... :roll:
Hi Rod
No. I don't think they are as good or as reliable as Deltang and so wouldn't be happy to make them for others. I will share the methodology on my blog for people to make their own, though.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:57 pm

metalmuncher wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:29 pm I'm glad to see someone has made progress testing the RF24 for model railway use, I have a prototype transmitter using the RF24 pretty far on, but kind of stalled on the receiver front, it's good to see the range has been tested and is adequate. I think one of the benefits of using these modules is you get two-way communication, so you can send information like the battery charge level back to the transmitter.
I must admit to using someone else's code and then adapting it. I got the speed control sorted out but it's not as precise as Deltang because the library I was using for PWM seems to have a few bugs and so I'm having to rely on lower pwm settings than I'd like. I've nearly sorted out the tx driven sound triggers but am finding they sometimes conflict with each other. So, a bit more work to do, but that's part of the fun.... ;) :?

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:06 pm

I think finding some suitable code and adapting it has become the norm these days. The problems arise when the code has bits in it that you dont need but may have unwanted effects. However it can be a devil to identify what is causing the effect and what part it plays. It may be the unwanted effects are caused by something vital. It would be lovely to have nice clean code but it is not practical unless writing code is your life.
Having got interested I looked up Arduinos and how to code them. It is basically C in format which I last used over 20 years ago but of course driving the various devices you attach to it is another matter.

Don