How to avoid mosquito bites

What is your latest project?
mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

How to avoid mosquito bites

Post by mymodeltrain » Fri May 24, 2019 5:50 pm

I have been struggling with mosquito bites in the past years, and this limits my family to enjoy the garden in the Summer. Particularly, my little daughter got nearly 100 bites on her legs in the past few weeks. This prompted me to come up with something or else she will not go to the garden anymore.

After looking into many options I tested in the past, such as candles, mosquito sprays, planting lemon grass or electronic devices; they all won't work, period. After all, I go with a new option, a FAN. I show herein this is Rigid hybrid 18V fan; it can go with AC or lithium ion battery. So far, this is the best fan among others in the market. We tested yesterday by putting it below the bench; surprisingly NO single mosquito can approach us. I am extremely happy with the result. Based on online source, the fan prevents mosquitoes to approach us due to strong wind it generated; second, it disperses carbon dioxide generated from our body which mosquitoes detect us via this gas. Lastly, it is very cool in the heat of Summer with this fan.
Mosquito.jpg
Mosquito.jpg (55.47 KiB) Viewed 3559 times

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How to avoid mosquito bites

Post by ge_rik » Sat May 25, 2019 6:35 am

Clever idea. Like your daughter, mosquitoes are attracted to me. It was the joke when we were on holiday in Greece with some friends that I was always invited to go out with them in the evening so no one else would get bitten. :(

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat May 25, 2019 7:07 am

Yep, I'm a mosquito magnet as well. My wife will get maybe one or two bites during the whole course of a holiday and I'll get up to 20 in one day. The best product I've found for repelling the little so-&-so's is called AUTAN, it's expensive and difficult to get but does seem to work. If you do get bitten then applying Mozi-go patches are really good. Just apply to the bite as soon as you are aware and it takes away most of the itch within a few minutes. Mozi-go only seems to be available from Morrisons for some strange reason.
Philip

mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by mymodeltrain » Sat May 25, 2019 5:00 pm

mymodeltrain wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 5:50 pm I have been struggling with mosquito bites in the past years, and this limits my family to enjoy the garden in the Summer. Particularly, my little daughter got nearly 100 bites on her legs in the past few weeks. This prompted me to come up with something or else she will not go to the garden anymore.

After looking into many options I tested in the past, such as candles, mosquito sprays, planting lemon grass or electronic devices; they all won't work, period. After all, I go with a new option, a FAN. I show herein this is Rigid hybrid 18V fan; it can go with AC or lithium ion battery. So far, this is the best fan among others in the market. We tested yesterday by putting it below the bench; surprisingly NO single mosquito can approach us. I am extremely happy with the result. Based on online source, the fan prevents mosquitoes to approach us due to strong wind it generated; second, it disperses carbon dioxide generated from our body which mosquitoes detect us via this gas. Lastly, it is very cool in the heat of Summer with this fan.
Mosquito.jpg
Last night our family of 3 enjoyed outdoor again thanks to this fan. I noted one mosquito attempted fruitlessly to approach
To my leg, but never made it due to strong wind from
The fan. Please note I point the fan some angles up to ensure it does not bring sand and particles which we can harmfully
Breath in.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun May 26, 2019 8:34 am

philipy wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 7:07 am Yep, I'm a mosquito magnet as well. My wife will get maybe one or two bites during the whole course of a holiday and I'll get up to 20 in one day. The best product I've found for repelling the little so-&-so's is called AUTAN, it's expensive and difficult to get but does seem to work. If you do get bitten then applying Mozi-go patches are really good. Just apply to the bite as soon as you are aware and it takes away most of the itch within a few minutes. Mozi-go only seems to be available from Morrisons for some strange reason.
I use Avon's 'Skin so Soft'. A former colleague recommended it to me - apparently Avon cannot advertise it as a repellent as it's not licensed as such. Unlike DEET based products it doesn't have long term side effects. Must be good - even the Marines use it - https://www.scotsman.com/news-2-15012/a ... -1-1403152

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun May 26, 2019 11:38 am

Yes, we know about the Avon product and have tried it in the past, but it doesn't seem to work on me. :(

There is also a product called "Smidge" which is made in Scotland specially designed to deal with Scottish midges. It may or may not work up there, but it ain't not no good on Egyptian mossies, thats for sure!
Philip