Small details ideas?

What is your latest project?
gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Small details ideas?

Post by gregh » Wed May 01, 2019 3:49 am

I often get ideas for small details that I can make at a bench without venturing outside.
So I thought a topic on some of the small details that you modellers have made, might give me more ideas. Not sure of the definition of small, but to start the ball rolling, I’ll show you one of mine (there’s plenty more, if any interest is shown)…

Station barrows
I made a number of simple luggage trolleys for station platforms. They are made from styrene, a bit of steel wire bashed flat, with small drawing pins for wheels. It's 55mm long.
barrow composite.jpg
barrow composite.jpg (121.66 KiB) Viewed 7262 times

and a station trolley again – styrene and drawing pins for wheels. The suitcases are made from oven-hardening clay
LuggageTrolley2.JPG
LuggageTrolley2.JPG (83.99 KiB) Viewed 7262 times
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Small details ideas?

Post by ge_rik » Wed May 01, 2019 7:40 am

Clever, Greg.

A couple of contributions from me.

Milk churns
I wanted quite a few old conical milk churns but didn't fancy shelling out for six packs of two resin cast ones from GRS at £9.41 each plus P&P ( https://www.grsuk.com/shop/Conical-Milk ... -off-M5354 ), so I bought two 4- packs of these party toys from the supermarket for £2.80 (and got another one free).
IMG_4689 (1).JPG
IMG_4689 (1).JPG (25.12 KiB) Viewed 7252 times
I then used the base to make the churns.
IMG_4753 (1).JPG
IMG_4753 (1).JPG (30.53 KiB) Viewed 7251 times
Blog post here of the build - https://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2013/0 ... hurns.html

Loco lamps
Also, I wanted working loco lamps, but didn't fancy the cost. Mine were based on 5mm LEDs and a few bits of Plastruct.
IMG_2809 (1).JPG
IMG_2809 (1).JPG (38.86 KiB) Viewed 7251 times
On some locos, I use bi-colour red/white LEDs so they change colour depending on the direction the loco moves.
IMG_2827.JPG
IMG_2827.JPG (32.76 KiB) Viewed 7251 times
Blog post here - https://riksrailway.blogspot.co.uk/2017 ... lamps.html

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Mon May 06, 2019 5:44 am

Fancy getting a milk churn out of a party toy. :king:
Doesn't seem much interest here, but I'll add another one of mine anyhow...

hurricane lamp
While browsing in a craft shop with my wife I noticed some tear drop shaped beads that looked just the right size for the glass chimney of a hurricane lamp.
HL1.JPG
HL1.JPG (45.49 KiB) Viewed 7170 times

So I made a couple of types – one with the elec leads coming in from the base, for a lamp standing on a table, and one where the leads are at the top for a hanging lamp.
I ground the tops and bottom off the beads and drilled a hole in the base to take a LED.
Then I superglued some round tube on the top and bottom. For the top lead version, I bent the LED leads out and up.
For the table type, the leads come out the bottom and 2 pieces of wire form the ‘handles’.
hl7.jpg
hl7.jpg (22.57 KiB) Viewed 7170 times

here’s the hanging type in my traction engine
TE lamp.JPG
TE lamp.JPG (51.7 KiB) Viewed 7170 times
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon May 06, 2019 7:55 am

Wow! That looks so realistic, with the added bonus that it works!
I must admit that every time I go into The Works (a remaindered book shop which also sells cheap craft gear), I look out for things which might be adapted for the railway. Not sure I'd have made the connection between the beads and hurricane lamps. The best I could do was use wooden beads and cocktail sticks as finials for signals.
IMG_3706.JPG
IMG_3706.JPG (145.46 KiB) Viewed 7160 times
Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon May 06, 2019 8:29 am

ge_rik wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:55 am The best I could do was use wooden beads and cocktail sticks as finials for signals.
Yet another of your ideas that I pinched when I did my signal last year, thanks!

As for Hurricane Lamps ( Why do we all seem to be obsessed with lights?) I made one some years ago by simply filing an LED to shape, gluing it to a dead button cell as the base oil reservoir and bending the leads round and up to form the frame. This is a terrible picture but the best I've got atm.
DSC_0005.png
DSC_0005.png (360.36 KiB) Viewed 7159 times
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon May 06, 2019 1:22 pm

Nice one, Philip.

Rik
------------------------

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Mon May 06, 2019 11:45 pm

ge_rik wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:55 am The best I could do was use wooden beads and cocktail sticks as finials for signals.
And to think I went to the trouble of turning mine from wood. Great idea
philipy wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 8:29 am As for Hurricane Lamps ( Why do we all seem to be obsessed with lights?) I made one some years ago by simply filing an LED to shape, gluing it to a dead button cell as the base oil reservoir and bending the leads round and up to form the frame. This is a terrible picture but the best I've got atm. DSC_0005.png
Now that is something. I want to try it. What size LED is it? and is it with leads pointing upwards?
Greg from downunder.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue May 07, 2019 8:34 am

When I detailed the interior of the coal merchant's office, I needed a chair for the clerk to sit at the desk. I checked on various dolls house websites, but they were either under or over scale. In the end, I made my own. It was a lot less fiddly than I expected. I might now mass produce some for the interior of the cafe at Beeston Castle.

Blog entry here - https://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2019/0 ... html#chair
DSCI2149.JPG
DSCI2149.JPG (37.91 KiB) Viewed 7088 times
Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue May 07, 2019 9:12 am

gregh wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:45 pm
Now that is something. I want to try it. What size LED is it? and is it with leads pointing upwards?
Greg, it's an ordinary 5mm LED. I used 'bright white' because it was all I had at the time but probably warm white would give a better effect.
Just taken a close up in te sun. It's a bit cruel and shows the effects of 3 years in the garden, but you get the idea. The button cell seems to have lost its paint and I notice that the fine diagonal wires that were meant to simulate the glass retainer clips, seem to have a mind of their own now! The O/A height from hanging nail to base is about 22mm.
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0002.JPG (374.91 KiB) Viewed 7084 times
Philip

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Thu May 09, 2019 10:19 am

Wow Philip, you even modelled the glass holding wires!
Thanks for the idea. That's what i was hoping for.
Greg from downunder.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu May 09, 2019 1:25 pm

A neat idea, Philip. The use of the button cell is a clever move. I think you can get 3v button cells, so might even be possible to make one self-contained - though incorporating a switch might prove to be a challenge.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu May 09, 2019 1:37 pm

ge_rik wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:25 pm .... though incorporating a switch might prove to be a challenge.
Reminds me - we went to a Burns Night do earlier this year and I was intrigued by the colour-changing tea lights on the table.
DSCI2417.JPG
DSCI2417.JPG (64.72 KiB) Viewed 7036 times
Inevitably, I had to take one apart to see how it worked. Just a button cell and an LED - nothing more. They had arranged the leads from the LED so that one rested on the +ve terminal of the cell and the switch pushed the other lead against the -ve side of the cell. I really admired the ingenuity of the designer. Even incorporated a simple spring system on the switch slider so it would 'click' one way or the other.
DSCI2420.JPG
DSCI2420.JPG (114.95 KiB) Viewed 7036 times
Rik
------------------------

metalmuncher
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by metalmuncher » Thu May 09, 2019 6:43 pm

ge_rik wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:25 pm though incorporating a switch might prove to be a challenge.
One simple way to create a switch for a button cell is to put the cell in a metal tube. Tighten a threaded end cap on the tube so the cell is pushed up against a central contact at the other end, and the metal case acts as the other contact. Slacken off the thread so the top of the cell stops touching the central contact and the circuit is broken. Straightforward for anyone with a lathe, though not everyone has a tool like that to hand.

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Fri May 10, 2019 5:41 am

Rik, Do those tea lights use multi-coloured LEDs?
Tea lights are a good source of lights for carriages and buildings. I bought a dozen 'flickering' ones over 5 years ago. They have a 20mm dia 3V Li battery with a wire like you described. I only use them a few times a year and am amazed how those batteries still have charge.
Greg from downunder.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri May 10, 2019 9:06 am

gregh wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 5:41 am Rik, Do those tea lights use multi-coloured LEDs?
Tea lights are a good source of lights for carriages and buildings. I bought a dozen 'flickering' ones over 5 years ago. They have a 20mm dia 3V Li battery with a wire like you described. I only use them a few times a year and am amazed how those batteries still have charge.
Hi Greg
Yes - can't figure out how they do the colour changing. Looks like different anodes inside the clear plastic dome get energised in turn - there must be some sort of timing circuitry incorporated in the dome itself. I assume it's RGB colour mixing with three anodes - very cunning!

I've used the LEDs from flickering tea lights in my semaphore signals. When I posted on one forum about it, I was criticised by one contributor who said he'd never seen a signal lamp flickering. I explained that the signals on the PLR were made by the local blacksmith and joiner (Bodgit & Runn) whose technological skills are not up to the likes of McKenzie & Holland..... :? ;)

Rik
------------------------

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Fri May 10, 2019 9:36 am

ge_rik wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 9:06 am I've used the LEDs from flickering tea lights in my semaphore signals. When I posted on one forum about it, I was criticised by one contributor who said he'd never seen a signal lamp flickering. I explained that the signals on the PLR were made by the local blacksmith and joiner (Bodgit & Runn) whose technological skills are not up to the likes of McKenzie & Holland..... :? ;)
Rik
Love the explanation.
Greg from downunder.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Fri May 10, 2019 7:37 pm

ge_rik wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 9:06 am I've used the LEDs from flickering tea lights in my semaphore signals. When I posted on one forum about it, I was criticised by one contributor who said he'd never seen a signal lamp flickering. I explained that the signals on the PLR were made by the local blacksmith and joiner (Bodgit & Runn) whose technological skills are not up to the likes of McKenzie & Holland..... :? ;)

Rik
Rik,

Whoever told you that hadn't had that much to do with oil lit signals. They're not supposed to flicker. Lampmen prided themselves on a stready even burn, but wicks at the end of their life, dirty lamp oil and pernicious drafts (never mind full blown gales!) could all contribute to a lamp starting to flicker. The explanation you gave was a beaut! Fllickering adds a bit of character and if we want out signal lamps to flicker, then flicker they shall! ;)

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat May 11, 2019 7:43 am

Thanks Andrew - and flicker, they do ..... :lol: see 4:30 onwards

Rik
------------------------

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:26 am

Re-animating this thread a bit. Loving the ideas so far. Here's a couple I've used to good effect.

Spherical-headed sewing pins make decent doorknobs.
IMG_5748.JPG
IMG_5748.JPG (233.09 KiB) Viewed 3701 times

Bar stools can be made from googly-eyes for the cushions, with matchstick legs. The beer tap (manifold?) was made by making a 90 degree bend in a piece of coat-hanger wire, threading a scrap of 5mm square styrene over the wire, then bending the wire's straight end down. The handles and nozzles are the shafts of dressmaker's pins - kept after cutting their heads off for use as rivets. The bar was knocked up from foamboard and corflute offcuts. It's all quite rough, in fact this interior was an afterthought. But it'll work.
IMG_7008.JPG
IMG_7008.JPG (242.42 KiB) Viewed 3701 times

Interior staircases can be folded from thin cardboard - a frozen chicken box, in this case. The structure is again, corflute. Matchsticks and coffee stirrers for railings. Everything painted with old El-Cheapo craft acrylics.
IMG_7016.JPG
IMG_7016.JPG (221.98 KiB) Viewed 3701 times

Palm trees (potted or fullsize) can be made from feathers. I used this method. The pot is a resin casting from a fish tank decoration. The lamp shades are very cheap, nasty plastic wheels removed from a secondhand wagon, drilled out and fitted with LEDs. Rainwater tank is a baked-bean tin.
IMG_1385.JPG
IMG_1385.JPG (265.9 KiB) Viewed 3701 times

HO or OO scale oil drums make pretty good gauges for instrument panels - saw them in half and get two for each drum, paint, then insert from behind the panel. For a black gauge face, paint the face white or silver first. Then black. After drying, careful scoring with a blade should scratch the top layer of black away, leaving faint lines of your base-colour behind, to represent gauge markings and needles. I wish I'd have done it with the white-faced gauges.
IMG_2546.JPG
IMG_2546.JPG (300.19 KiB) Viewed 3701 times
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:04 am

Rik gave me the idea about using LEDs from cheap lights, I had a go a while back into them in an Accucraft IoM coach:

I suspect the purists would moan the lights did not look realistic, however, I wanted to add interest to evening running.