Ballasting track

What is your latest project?
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: Ballasting track

Post by FWLR » Mon May 06, 2019 11:05 am

Peter Butler wrote: ↑Mon May 06, 2019 10:44 am
FWLR wrote: ↑Mon May 06, 2019 7:58 am Listen to Peter Butler's advice...You can't really go wrong with it..... :thumbup:
Cheers Rod..... (there's a cheque in the post!)
No problem Peter, just make it out to Anne.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue May 07, 2019 4:16 pm

philipy wrote: ↑Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:38 pm
pandsrowe wrote: ↑Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:45 pm I've been applying the SBR with a kitchen baster

Your idea of the baster sounds good and I've got some ballasting to do in the near future so I'll give that a try, I think.
Well, I have tried a baster this morning and it works really well, so thanks for the idea.
Philip

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Sun May 12, 2019 3:43 pm

I am hoping to get a nice neglected look on the track with moss growing between the rails. I remember mention of using yoghurt to encourage moss growth, but I'm wondering if SBR would act as an inhibitor for natural growth.
Any thoughts on the subject folks?

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun May 12, 2019 3:49 pm

I have natural moss growth all over our garden to the point of it being a nuisance. However I do use yoghurt on newly ballasted and SBR'd track, I do sometimes sprinkle a bit of soil/compost on as well, just to get it started.
I can't say that I've noticed SBR inhibits growth, I think its just the time taken for soil and moss spores to collect in the crevices in the ballast.
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun May 12, 2019 10:17 pm

My track is laid on a treated timber base with roofing felt covering, so no contact with the ground or any soil. I have soaked all of my ballast and other ground cover with SBR but never used yoghurt, this is the result.....
IMG_5013.JPG
IMG_5013.JPG (189.78 KiB) Viewed 5557 times
IMG_5015.JPG
IMG_5015.JPG (148.63 KiB) Viewed 5557 times
IMG_5016.JPG
IMG_5016.JPG (163.02 KiB) Viewed 5557 times
Remember this is West Wales so gets plenty of rain, it is also exposed to direct sunlight though but still flourishes.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Sun May 12, 2019 11:14 pm

Thanks chaps. I think that I can SBR with confidence then!
Impressive results there Peter.

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Thu May 30, 2019 8:33 pm

Having been delayed for various reasons with my ballasting, I've now managed to complete the bulk of it and now that the SBR is fully cured/hardened I'm now putting back the various buildings and lineside features on my railway.
20190530_170406-01.jpeg
20190530_170406-01.jpeg (158.99 KiB) Viewed 4919 times
Generally speaking I'm pleased with the way it looks, although time might change my view, but the best bit for me is being able to keep the track clear of detritus with the careful use of a small leaf blower, which obviously I would not have considered if using loose ballast.
Phil

steamgeorge
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by steamgeorge » Thu May 30, 2019 10:32 pm

Sorry for going off topic but is that a Pendle Valley 'railway Inn' I see?. If so it would be greatly appreciated if you could get the floor plan dimensions for me. I was thinking of getting one but before I invest money into it I would like to know if It would fit on my railway (there is no dimensions on the website).

Thanks, George

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu May 30, 2019 11:26 pm

Phil, you have done a fine job laying your ballast and I am pleased you are satisfied with the result. From the pictures it looks as though you have used water washed (smooth) stones, possibly aquarium grit, and I would be interested to hear how it performs in your area compared to where I live.... West Wales has a reputation for being rather wetter than some areas.
I understand Tom also experienced issues with similar materials using SBR, just as you have, and he is Kent based which is less prone to high rainfall.
I refer you to my earlier suggestion on page one of this thread based on my own experiments and experience.....
Peter Butler wrote: ↑Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:22 pm
The important thing is to know your materials and my experience has taught me this.....
SBR works well on fine grained, rough surface, crushed stone and oyster shell..... it does NOT work on large or smooth surface stone eg. aquarium grit etc. Initially it appears to hold but the large or smooth surfaces will not bind together as the SBR needs to be able to form a skin around them.
After a while weather conditions of wind and rain will eventually remove the skin and the grit will become loose. I know this because it happened to me.

I sincerely hopes this helps and avoids further failures now my experiments are recorded.

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri May 31, 2019 6:42 am

Phil. Your station area ballasting looks really good, it will be interesting to see how well it lasts.

I've just completed a reballasting exercise that turned out to be much more extensive than originally anticipated. Once I started there was no obvious place to stop, because the blind eye I had been turning to the defects that have been developing for ages suddenly saw reality!
The defective areas were all originally laid with a Rowlands-type mix which has crumbled away over the years, so I'll also be interested to see how well my new SBR replacement lasts. I used the baster again to apply the SBR, which was much faster to do, so thanks again for the idea.
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri May 31, 2019 7:59 am

Nice job Phil. Well done. :thumbright:

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Fri May 31, 2019 10:37 am

Thank you all for your kind comments, that's one of the benefits of this forum that others can see what I'm trying to achieve, most of my friends and family seem to think to I've got a screw loose to want to do anything like this.

George, yes it is the Pendle inn and my model measures 200mm deep x 340mm wide.

Peter, the stone that I have used is a horticultural grit that I got from a local garden centre and what is surprising is that is actually quite a sharp grit. I know that it looks quite rounded in the photo, who ever said the camera never lies? I will endeavour to take a close up shot of it later.

Philipy, I'm also quite keen to see how well this lasts, unfortunately this is the one part of my railway which I won't be able to take inside during the winter months :roll:
Phil

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri May 31, 2019 11:54 am

pandsrowe wrote: ↑Fri May 31, 2019 10:37 am I'm also quite keen to see how well this lasts, unfortunately this is the one part of my railway which I won't be able to take inside during the winter months :roll:
Well, my initial trial area has survived 2 winters out of doors and its under trees where it spends a lot of time buried under soggy leaves, and thats still as solid as a rock. I noticed the other day that the moss is taking hold there as well, now.
My ballast is 2-3mm granite, but I've also use chicken grit along the edges in places, and that has held as well.
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri May 31, 2019 12:02 pm

That looks excellent!

I'll be carrying out ballasting myself this weekend - I've already dry ballasted and levelled the first siding, will add SBR to that this evening then do the rest of the station site. I've purchased a turkey baster for the job, thanks for the tip - the large syringe I used last time I did this soon got gummed up!

All the best,

Andrew.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri May 31, 2019 12:44 pm

I gave up cleaning up stuff after each SBR application.

Particularly spray bottles, no matter how much I cleaned and pumped water through them on next use they were all gummed up!

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Fri May 31, 2019 5:07 pm

This is the horticultural grit that I've used straight out of the bag before washing.
20190531_165454-01.jpeg
20190531_165454-01.jpeg (141.12 KiB) Viewed 2749 times
I estimate that the average grit size is 3 - 4mm, as can be seen some of the grit is a bit larger at maybe 5 - 6mm but they are few enough to pick out if they cause a problem.
Phil

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri May 31, 2019 5:39 pm

Yes, I've got some of that in the garden for potting grit. It's a little larger than my granite, but I've had it in mind for when I run out, although it is a different colour - red rather than greenish.
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri May 31, 2019 9:30 pm

Sorry to say this but I covered that one too!
Peter Butler wrote: ↑Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:22 pm Personal experience of using SBR and a variety of ballast materials has given me an insight into what works and what is less likely to.
My own first attempt was to use horticultural grit, which I took a long time to sieve out the larger lumps and only use the smaller. I quite liked the appearance of the grit but it failed in service after a couple of seasons.
I just hope you have more luck..... please update as time goes by.