Another Wild Rose Project

What is your latest project?
-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Another Wild Rose Project

Post by -steves- » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:13 pm

dewintondave wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:47 pm
I'm doing 1' scale now, so 10BA has become a less inclined to snap 8BA :thumbup: Still on 45mm gauge track
Very nice, good choice, think I may have to consider this, just for the cost of 10BA taps, lol :lol:
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:17 pm

-steves- wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:16 pm I use my taps in my home made tap holder from a cheapo drill press.
I've been meaning to build a bench tapping fixture for the last 30 years, after seeing one in a friend's workshop. I still haven't found the right size of Round Tuit yet....... :roll:

My tailstock die holders are rudimentary, but do the job. Never seen the point of polishing up homemade tooling, it doesn't work any better.

The photo shows the tap holder I use for 10BA and 8BA. The knurled bit is about 3/4" dia., so it's hard to apply enough torque to break even a 10BA tap. I used to grip it in a drill chuck in both the lathe and the mill, but that took up too much space on the lathe, so a while back I drilled a suitable size hole in a blank arbor and fitted a clamping screw.

Tap Holder.jpg
Tap Holder.jpg (137.86 KiB) Viewed 13714 times

It's definitely worth using tapping compound, as it reduces the force needed to cut the thread and also slows the rate of wear on the taps and dies.

Regards,
Graeme

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:23 pm

GTB wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:17 pm
I've been meaning to build a bench tapping fixture for the last 30 years, after seeing one in a friend's workshop. I still haven't found the right size of Round Tuit yet....... :roll:

My tailstock die holders are rudimentary, but do the job. Never seen the point of polishing up homemade tooling, it doesn't work any better.

The photo shows the tap holder I use for 10BA and 8BA. The knurled bit is about 3/4" dia., so it's hard to apply enough torque to break even a 10BA tap. I used to grip it in a drill chuck in both the lathe and the mill, but that took up too much space on the lathe, so a while back I drilled a suitable size hole in a blank arbor and fitted a clamping screw.

Tap Holder.jpg

It's definitely worth using tapping compound, as it reduces the force needed to cut the thread and also slows the rate of wear on the taps and dies.

Regards,
Graeme
I do like that tap holder for the tail stock, think I might ahve to make (copy) something like that for myself, looks very useful and I love the idea of the knurled 3/4" bit so you don't over do it :thumbup: I don't suppose you have any more pictures or dimensions for that, lol :lol: :D

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:26 pm

A little bit more today, 2 steps forwards and one step backwards though I am afraid :shock:

I managed to get one of the cylinders just about complete and soldered up to it's steam block, yay :thumbup: The other one however, had some drill slippage and the drill started on the correct path, but when it met it mate on the other direction, the drill had wandered while drilling and it pulled it a considerable way off line, far enough that I will have to remake that part from scratch, yippee :oops:

Still, now the 10ba bolts have turned up I have managed to get a few parts together so it's starting to look like something now (not sure what), rather than just a box of bits. Onwards and upwards :)

The chassis so far, I have wheels and eccentrics and a few other bits, but just no stainless 4mm bar to put them all together with, lol. If you look really carefully you can see the big end bearing on the crank (ok maybe not as it's so tiny), a massive 3.5mm round, a 2mm hole and a 4mm shoulder that's 0.5mm wide, well that needed some glasses to machine I can tell you :lol:

The offending steam block that slipped and will put me back a bit as I will have to buy another bit of brass too :oops:

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:54 pm

-steves- wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:23 pm I don't suppose you have any more pictures or dimensions for that,
As it happens........

Tap Holder-2.jpg
Tap Holder-2.jpg (55.55 KiB) Viewed 13668 times

I used some off-cuts of BMS bar I had in stock, as the only critical dimensions are the dia. of the hole for the tap and the position of the grub screw. I wasn't about to turn the whole thing out of solid, so the grip is a small piece of 3/4" BMS knurled and drilled separately and then pressed on.

The sleeve is the bit gripped by the chuck and this one is 11mm od and 50mm long, with an 8mm hole drilled through it.

The body is another piece of 11mm od about 60mm long. The spigot is 30mm long, turned down to be a nice running fit in the sleeve. The grip is a piece of 3/4" dia., knurled, drilled 8mm and cut off at 10mm long. The tap end of the body is turned down for a length of 18mm to be a press fit in the grip.

My 10BA, 8BA, 6BA and M2 taps all have 1/8" shanks, so a hole that size is drilled in the end of the body, deep enough to take most of the tap shank. The grub screw is M3, positioned so it engages a flat on the tap shank, that way when loading the tap, the grubscrew only needs to be nipped up enough to stop the tap falling out, as the flat stops the tap turning in the holder.

I've not seen anything remotely similar available commercially, but it's worth it's weight in broken taps........ ;)

Regards,
Graeme

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:38 pm

GTB wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:54 pm
-steves- wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:23 pm I don't suppose you have any more pictures or dimensions for that,
As it happens........

I used some off-cuts of BMS bar I had in stock, as the only critical dimensions are the dia. of the hole for the tap and the position of the grub screw. I wasn't about to turn the whole thing out of solid, so the grip is a small piece of 3/4" BMS knurled and drilled separately and then pressed on.

The sleeve is the bit gripped by the chuck and this one is 11mm od and 50mm long, with an 8mm hole drilled through it.

The body is another piece of 11mm od about 60mm long. The spigot is 30mm long, turned down to be a nice running fit in the sleeve. The grip is a piece of 3/4" dia., knurled, drilled 8mm and cut off at 10mm long. The tap end of the body is turned down for a length of 18mm to be a press fit in the grip.

My 10BA, 8BA, 6BA and M2 taps all have 1/8" shanks, so a hole that size is drilled in the end of the body, deep enough to take most of the tap shank. The grub screw is M3, positioned so it engages a flat on the tap shank, that way when loading the tap, the grubscrew only needs to be nipped up enough to stop the tap falling out, as the flat stops the tap turning in the holder.

I've not seen anything remotely similar available commercially, but it's worth it's weight in broken taps........ ;)

Regards,
Graeme
I will be making one of those as soon as I get material and spare workshop time, but hopefully not far off as I think that will prove very useful for this build :thumbup:

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:16 pm

I had a very sneaky workshop visit today, had to work fast as it's the wife's birthday and she went shopping so while she was out I popped in there. I managed to cut down a new cylinder holder, mill it out, drill it out and even solder it to the existing cylinder.

I still need to put a flat edge on the sides for the slide bars to bolt to and I also need to shorten some of the screws as they are a bit long at the moment. Small steps all in the right direction, at least it all fits together at the moment :thumbup:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:28 am

Love it Steve...Your nipping into the workshop...We need to do things on the quiet sometimes..... :lol: :lol:

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:56 pm

Indeed we do, it's good to have some sneaky time in the workshop :thumbup:

Well today. I finished the cylinders, or at least for now as I have a suspicion that I am going to end up remaking the back covers again as there are some issues that might stop things happening down the line, we shall see and I remain hopeful that everything will fit later :shock:

So, I made the threaded section that screws into the rear cylinder cover and the piston rod comes out of, that all went well. I cut down the 10ba screws that were slightly oversize and screwed all the cylinder covers on properly. I managed to get some proper 4mm silver steel for the axles as I originally only had mild steel so I cut those to length and popped all the running gear onto the to ensure they were a good fit. I also manged to 1/4 it up and everything seems to run fairly smoothly considering they have no oil and zero running in. Pretty happy with efforts so far, but far from perfect, lol :lol: Ignore where the grub screws are as one of them slipped and drilled off centre, but it does not affect the actual crank arm and it 1/4'rd up fine, just have to not do it on the grub screw position.

And here it is with the boiler plonked on top of it, just to see it look a bit more than a flat chassis really, lol ;)

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:13 pm

How I wish I lived nearby and could nip round for a visit to see this model being built. I've always wanted to build my own steam engine, but the lathe and mill work seems so daunting. I'm enjoying this thread. Sometimes when I see how easy this stuff is for guys like Tony Bird for instance, well it's easy to say "well I'll never be able to do that". But watching a relative newcomer taking a challenge the way you're doing- somehow that's more inspiring.

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:47 pm

Keith S wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:13 pm How I wish I lived nearby and could nip round for a visit to see this model being built. I've always wanted to build my own steam engine, but the lathe and mill work seems so daunting. I'm enjoying this thread. Sometimes when I see how easy this stuff is for guys like Tony Bird for instance, well it's easy to say "well I'll never be able to do that". But watching a relative newcomer taking a challenge the way you're doing- somehow that's more inspiring.
Thanks Keith, your post makes me proud of my work and I post up these type of threads to inspire others, we all start somewhere and if someone sees my results, and errors, it might give them the incentive to take a chance and start doing more. My pile of "out take" bits is increasing, but some are being re-purposed as I go along, so things are not always a total loss, unfortunately the expensive bit like cylinders and blocks don't seem to have any other use, yet.

It's honestly nice to see comments from people saying they enjoy the thread as sometimes i sit there and think, I wonder if anyone is actually reading this, let alone enjoying it, lol ;) :lol:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:06 pm

-steves- wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:47 pm

...... sometimes i sit there and think, I wonder if anyone is actually reading this, let alone enjoying it
Still with you!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:08 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:06 pm

...... sometimes i sit there and think, I wonder if anyone is actually reading this, let alone enjoying it
Still with you!
LOL, thanks Peter, but you know what I mean :D :thumbup:

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:17 pm

Hi Steve,

Does your step father help with your current build?

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:20 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:17 pm Hi Steve,

Does your step father help with your current build?
No, he is 50 miles down the road and we only get over there about once or twice a month these days. Unfortunately his health is not the best and although i will take it over to show him he is not able to help me with it. I am hoping one day he can teach me how to make my own HSS tools for the lathe. All the work so far other than the few purchased items that he gave me have been entirely off my own back. He will get to see how it's progressing on Saturday when we go over for his local 16mm club meeting that way as the last time he saw it was when he gave it all to me in a tin about a month ago. :thumbup:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:16 am

Still with you!
And me!

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:25 am

FWLR wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:16 am

Still with you!
And me!
Thanks Rod, again I am sure you know what I mean though, it's very difficult to tell if there is any or much interest at the end of a computer screen as I read many many posts and really enjoy them, but I don't always have anything to say so no one would ever know I enjoyed it.

We could do with just a "thumbs up" or "like" per post, I am sure there was a forum that allowed that, maybe it was mad modders or something like that.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:54 pm

-steves- wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:47 pm .... sometimes i sit there and think, I wonder if anyone is actually reading this, let alone enjoying it, lol ;) :lol:
Still with you. Reading it and enjoying it.
Ian

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:28 pm

-steves- wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:47 pm as sometimes i sit there and think, I wonder if anyone is actually reading this, let alone enjoying it
887 views at last count, so there seems to a reasonable number of readers.

Unless it's just you checking to see if there are any new replies........... ;)

Graeme

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:37 pm

GTB wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:28 pm
-steves- wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:47 pm as sometimes i sit there and think, I wonder if anyone is actually reading this, let alone enjoying it
887 views at last count, so there seems to a reasonable number of readers.

Unless it's just you checking to see if there are any new replies........... ;)

Graeme
Ha ha, I don't follow the number of readers as most of those are probably me going back to see what people have said, you clearly have me sussed out, lol :lol: :lol: