Barton Hill extension

What is your latest project?
AFGadd
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: Barton Hill extension

Post by AFGadd » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:44 am

Interesting photos of the SS turntable, of which I have one waiting for me to get the "urge"...
I notice that you've left the rails longer than the bridge-plate, I was thinking the same.

I will be drilling a few drainage holes in my turntable base. However, I reckon that the turntable will spend most of its life in the same position and the bridge-plate will cover the holes.
Andrew

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:06 am

Andrew, yes I left the rails long on the turntable deliberately as in my case I intend to remove it after each operating session and that would not be possible if the trackside rails ran over the t/t masonry. Also theoretically it should allow for longer engines to be turned.
Phil

AFGadd
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by AFGadd » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:35 am

Thanks Phil,

I've just noticed the rail chairs securing the rail (rather than sleepers), looks much better IMO?

What chairs are they, assuming that they are a commercial item?
Andrew

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:52 pm

Indeed they are commercial - standard Peco chairs (usual disclaimer). I also thought that sleepers on what is supposed to be a steel deck just didn't look right, so as I had a number of the Peco chairs left over from my brief brush with turnout construction I used those. They are secured to the deck with an epoxy resin which I trust will be satisfactory as it won't be exposed to any weather as I intend to bring the t/t inside after any operating session.
Phil