Curve Re-alignment

What is your latest project?
Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Curve Re-alignment

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:44 am

My Railway is nominally set with minimum radius curves of 38 inches. This is fine for my stock and locos, and all can negotiate the track without problems. However, when others come to run on my line, a couple of the curves, whilst, as I said, nominally 38 inches, obviously only average 38 inches, with two spots in particular where the curve is much sharper! :shock:
An additional problem is that all my ballast is fixed down with SBR, and that seems to be almost 'permanent' once set. however, this weekend I have decided to address the most troublesome tight spot, near my bridge.
Removing ballast set in SBR
This was actually easier than I feared. It did require the use of a chisel (I use an old 1" wood chisel, rather than a 'cold' chisel). Using this it was possible to release the track from the paved area in question. Once the track (peco, in my case) was lifted, it was relatively easy to pick it clean of residual ballast and dried SBR. So the good news is that SBR is a good fixative, being very solid and hardwearing once dried, but it can be removed if needed.
Track Re-alignment
This photo shows the old alignment of the curve (I forgot to get a before picture :roll: ) with the old permanent way removed and the new alignment in place.
Bridge-curve-re-alignment1.jpg
Bridge-curve-re-alignment1.jpg (327.34 KiB) Viewed 5674 times
I used a metre rule pegged at the axis of the radius to gauge my curve (with the aim of keeping to 39 1/2 inch radius). This composite photo shows the ruler being laid against the curve.
Bridge-curve-re-alignment3.jpg
Bridge-curve-re-alignment3.jpg (330.03 KiB) Viewed 5674 times
I also took the opportunity move a short radius 38" point (switch) further from the curve in question, and replace it with a 60" radius point instead.
Bridge-curve-re-alignment2.jpg
Bridge-curve-re-alignment2.jpg (325.27 KiB) Viewed 5674 times
The result is a much smoother curve, even for my stock, and a less ferocious transition from the point, where there was a nasty reverse curve, which also caused some problems. The only issue with this is that it has drastically shortened the passing loop, so similar replacement will take place at the other end, but further down, to restore the loop length.
All I need to do then is reballast - it's surprising how 'flimsy' the permanent way is before the ballast is fixed.
And this will also leave me with 2 short radius points - for which I have a cunning plan... :mrgreen:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Re: Curve Re-alignment

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:48 am

It is worth doing these forward fixes once a line is built as it results in better running sessions.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:36 pm

That is a very good report on the use of SBR as it obviously does its job but is not beyond removal if required.... something I haven't attempted myself, yet!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:41 pm

Hi Phil,

As Peter says, a good report.

It's a very nice piece of permanent way work too, if I may say so. The improvement is clear, the old track shadow proves that. A well, and practically engineered, solution. Well done.

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:39 pm

Good job. I am one who enjoys seeing track alignment being modified when necessary to ensure better operation. :thumbright:

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:00 pm

That looks to be much better geometry, Ian. Interesting that the SBR comes off fairly easily.
As an aside, Peter Butler is rightly normally warning of the need to protect SRB from rain for several days after ballasting. I had to do some patching yesterday and in this weather it was rock solid in about 3 hours!
Philip

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:44 pm

That looks much better Phil! :) I should explain to the rest of the forum that the necessity to do this work is partly my fault, last Monday Phil had a steamup and my run was unfortunately rather short as my Beddgelert could not be persuaded to go around the section which has just been relaid. I think it should go round quite happily now.
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:31 pm

Phil,

Did you use a template to form the curves? What do you use to bend your rails?

Ian
Ian

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:53 am

Thank you all for the kind comments. Don't feel bad Christopher ;) we'd already discussed needing to change the geometry of that curve on a previous steam up - you just added the required impetus! :lol:
As for curve bending Ian - I use a Mk 1 belly, which is probably why the curve displayed that randomness which gave me average curves of 38" instead of precise curves of 38"! :oops:
I think a curve template would actually be the best option to avoid these tight spots in future. For now, my metre rule will have to do!
Phil

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:39 am

Lonsdaler wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:53 am Thank you all for the kind comments. Don't feel bad Christopher ;) we'd already discussed needing to change the geometry of that curve on a previous steam up - you just added the required impetus! :lol:
As for curve bending Ian - I use a Mk 1 belly, which is probably why the curve displayed that randomness which gave me average curves of 38" instead of precise curves of 38"! :oops:
I think a curve template would actually be the best option to avoid these tight spots in future. For now, my metre rule will have to do!
Thank you Phil. I think I will either use a template, or set track for my curves. I understand set track is 38" radius. My loco's will go round 24" curves according to Roundhouse. Not sure what radius my Mk1 belly is! I don't like to measure it!

Ian
Ian

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:58 am

I am soundly slapping myself on the forehead!
I stupidly purchased 2 replacment wider radius turnouts without first checking what I needed (obviously, I clearly thought, I need a left and a right, right?
WRONG! :oops: :roll: :banghead:
I need 2 lefts, because of the configuration of my loop, and I only discovered this when I went to relay the other end of the loop this morning :roll:
Fortunately Track Shack have agreed to exchange the turnout for me :thumbup:
Anyone would think I wasn't involved in laying the original loop. Lesson for next time - always double check requirements before ordering. Never assume! :sign6:
Phil

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:43 pm

I pre-shape track before installing, prevents 'dog legging' and the track being under constant tension when screwed into place (may bow later on with change in temperatures).

I bought a 'Blizzy Bender' when they were available for bending track, however, you can now buy rollers from GRS to make your own:

http://www.grsuk.com/Rail-Bender---Tenm ... ONLY-M5203

These could be then installed into metal plates and put in a vice to adjust the required radius then run the rail through the rollers.