Plexyglass buildings

What is your latest project?
mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Plexyglass buildings

Post by mymodeltrain » Thu May 31, 2018 5:52 pm

The wood train station building I built 5 years ago nearly comes to an end; the wood got rotten to the point things are going to fall apart very soon. So now, I am planning for another structure; this is my plan for a multiple building block that I assimilate from Holland buildings; it will be about 20 x 44 inc. I am contacting people for a laser cut on plexiglass. More updates will be on the way later.
plexibuilding.jpg
plexibuilding.jpg (378.77 KiB) Viewed 7675 times

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Re: Plexyglass buildings

Post by bazzer42 » Thu May 31, 2018 9:58 pm

Impressive planning there, puts me to shame!

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Thu May 31, 2018 11:26 pm

I agree with Bazzer that loks impressive. I must admit I don't know how it goes together but I certainly look forward to seeing the build and finished building.

Ian
Ian

mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by mymodeltrain » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:50 pm

IanC wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 11:26 pm I agree with Bazzer that loks impressive. I must admit I don't know how it goes together but I certainly look forward to seeing the build and finished building.

Ian
Thanks for the comments; but I am still working on it. In the past, laser cutting people accepted pdf file but now they need a vector-based file. I have CAD software but it would take a long time to draw as I am not a professional in this aspect. Fortunately, I found Fiverr offers such a service, and Madelemara (https://www.fiverr.com/madelemara; madelemara289@gmail.com) helped me with only $20. Attached figure he did for me within a day. I was impressed.
Plexiglass.jpg
Plexiglass.jpg (167.83 KiB) Viewed 7594 times

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:28 pm

Impressive, and it will certainly last against the elements.

mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by mymodeltrain » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:28 pm

mymodeltrain wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:50 pm
IanC wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 11:26 pm I agree with Bazzer that loks impressive. I must admit I don't know how it goes together but I certainly look forward to seeing the build and finished building.

Ian
Thanks for the comments; but I am still working on it. In the past, laser cutting people accepted pdf file but now they need a vector-based file. I have CAD software but it would take a long time to draw as I am not a professional in this aspect. Fortunately, I found Fiverr offers such a service, and Madelemara (https://www.fiverr.com/madelemara; madelemara289@gmail.com) helped me with only $20. Attached figure he did for me within a day. I was impressed.
Plexiglass.jpg
I was busy for traveling in the past days; but I had spent a few minutes a day to look for laser cutting companies. One company, you may not want to know the name, asked ~ $700.00 when I sent him the pdf fiel and he said he needs to spend time to draw it. Then, I hired Fiverr people to sketch the buildings in dxf file and sent to him again, and this time he asked the the cost of laser cutting and material, altogether ~$1,000. I guess he didn't remember me who contacted him just a week ago. Anyway, Pololu in Las Vegas, NV charged me totally for the job $122 ($88 for laser cutting, 34 for 3mm-thick plexiglass, dimension 20 x 44 inc). I am sure this is the best deal among many companies I contacted so far. And they are also very easy to accept the files. Just let you know, in case if you need to do similarly.

mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by mymodeltrain » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:42 pm

mymodeltrain wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:28 pm
mymodeltrain wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:50 pm

Ian
Plexiglass.jpg
I was busy for traveling in the past days; but I had spent a few minutes a day to look for laser cutting companies. One company, you may not want to know the name, asked ~ $700.00 when I sent him the pdf fiel and he said he needs to spend time to draw it. Then, I hired Fiverr people to sketch the buildings in dxf file and sent to him again, and this time he asked the the cost of laser cutting and material, altogether ~$1,000. I guess he didn't remember me who contacted him just a week ago. Anyway, Pololu in Las Vegas, NV charged me totally for the job $122 ($88 for laser cutting, 34 for 3mm-thick plexiglass, dimension 20 x 44 inc). I am sure this is the best deal among many companies I contacted so far. And they are also very easy to accept the files. Just let you know, in case if you need to do similarly.
Here is the printout from Pololu,

Plexiglass building prior to laser cutting.jpg
Plexiglass building prior to laser cutting.jpg (96.45 KiB) Viewed 7468 times

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:19 pm

I have been watching this thread in the hope I might find something I can understand.. so far that hasn't worked! I am way out of my technical comfort zone with this project and need some additional information about your plans. As far as I am aware Plexiglass is clear stable material which you appear to be using as a base for construction whilst, at the same time, cutting away the areas which require clear windows.
I would be interested to know what you will use as a surface layer to imitate stone/stucco etc. and what agent is suitable to bond those materials together?
I'm sure you have thought this out already but I am completely lost!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by mymodeltrain » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:04 am

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:19 pm I have been watching this thread in the hope I might find something I can understand.. so far that hasn't worked! I am way out of my technical comfort zone with this project and need some additional information about your plans. As far as I am aware Plexiglass is clear stable material which you appear to be using as a base for construction whilst, at the same time, cutting away the areas which require clear windows.
I would be interested to know what you will use as a surface layer to imitate stone/stucco etc. and what agent is suitable to bond those materials together?
I'm sure you have thought this out already but I am completely lost!
Peter,
I will use a combination of colors to paint 7 buildings. On the lower parts of the buildings, I may use brick stencils to generate brick walls. Before spray painting, I would use sand paper to rough up the surface for better adherence. This is the other plexiglass building I made before.
0317172000a.jpg
0317172000a.jpg (319.3 KiB) Viewed 7455 times

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:50 am

Thanks for the explanation, I think I am more understanding of your intentions now. I guess the windows will only be scribed on the main frontage to indicate accurate positioning?
Looking forward to more.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by mymodeltrain » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:05 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:50 am Thanks for the explanation, I think I am more understanding of your intentions now. I guess the windows will only be scribed on the main frontage to indicate accurate positioning?
Looking forward to more.
I already have the window/door frames, so these cutting were measured slightly larger than the frames so I can insert them in latter. The punch-out parts will be re-inserted in the back to make them like window shields.

mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by mymodeltrain » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:34 am

mymodeltrain wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:05 pm
Peter Butler wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:50 am Thanks for the explanation, I think I am more understanding of your intentions now. I guess the windows will only be scribed on the main frontage to indicate accurate positioning?
Looking forward to more.
I already have the window/door frames, so these cutting were measured slightly larger than the frames so I can insert them in latter. The punch-out parts will be re-inserted in the back to make them like window shields.
I want to update, I just received the building front today from Pololu, it's very large and nice. They wrapped it very careful and in a professional manner. I try to fit some of the window/door frames in to see how it looks. Hopefully, the weather is dry during the weekend so I can start spray painting.
On plexiglass.jpg
On plexiglass.jpg (120.29 KiB) Viewed 7293 times

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:21 am

That's really impressive. I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops. I still can't imagine the finished building, but I do admire your use of (to me) a new material and techniques.

Ian
Ian

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:28 pm

Very impressive

mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by mymodeltrain » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:52 pm

IanC wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:21 am That's really impressive. I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops. I still can't imagine the finished building, but I do admire your use of (to me) a new material and techniques.

Ian
Thanks, I have a general idea how to do it, but not everything; so step-by-step idea will evolve during the process. This is how Pololu sent me the material; as requested, they send me back everything; I can re-used the punched out parts for window glass; unfortunately, I order opaque plexyglass, but I think it is still ok to use as close/dark windows for some, not all to generate real situations.
Pololu Plexiglass.jpg
Pololu Plexiglass.jpg (354.5 KiB) Viewed 7240 times

mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by mymodeltrain » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:29 pm

mymodeltrain wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:52 pm
IanC wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:21 am That's really impressive. I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops. I still can't imagine the finished building, but I do admire your use of (to me) a new material and techniques.

Ian
Thanks, I have a general idea how to do it, but not everything; so step-by-step idea will evolve during the process. This is how Pololu sent me the material; as requested, they send me back everything; I can re-used the punched out parts for window glass; unfortunately, I order opaque plexyglass, but I think it is still ok to use as close/dark windows for some, not all to generate real situations.
Pololu Plexiglass.jpg
Some updates with the spray painting during the weekend. It turned out not to be easy since spray painting using the cans created so much pressure that caused the stencils lift up. As the result the resolution is bad. I tried two times and I gave up. Then, I decided to use the airbrush (Iwata Eclipse). My hypothesis is that the pressure is much weaker and it is controllable, thus the resolution will be improved; and I used the stencil with airbrush before; it just requires more preparation and labor. In fact, I found out the Eclipse airbrush got clogged somewhere in my last use, during the cleaning process I dropped one of the small screws on the floor and I have no way to find it. So I decided to order a cheap Badger airbrush today. I hope my theory works.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:08 am

Sometimes a simple paint job can be so frustrating. Especially airbrush work. I've often spent longer setting up and cleaning than painting. Acrylics really try my patience sometimes with clogging.

Ian
Ian

mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by mymodeltrain » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:46 am

IanC wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:08 am Sometimes a simple paint job can be so frustrating. Especially airbrush work. I've often spent longer setting up and cleaning than painting. Acrylics really try my patience sometimes with clogging.

Ian
I agree, that is why I didn't want to use airbrush to begin with; I tried to find a simple and quick way. But now as no other choice available, I return to use airbrush. The preparation and cleaning is time consuming for airbrush; further, I also have to design a negative flow booth since I do it in my garage.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:37 pm

mymodeltrain wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:46 am
IanC wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:08 am Sometimes a simple paint job can be so frustrating. Especially airbrush work. I've often spent longer setting up and cleaning than painting. Acrylics really try my patience sometimes with clogging.

Ian
I agree, that is why I didn't want to use airbrush to begin with; I tried to find a simple and quick way. But now as no other choice available, I return to use airbrush. The preparation and cleaning is time consuming for airbrush; further, I also have to design a negative flow booth since I do it in my garage.
I use acrylic and enamel paint. With acrylic I mix my own thinners using IPA, water and add flow retarder and flow improver. I get the best results by making a very thin mix and slowly building up lots of coats. I don't particularly like airbrushing with acrylic, but for some things it's the best option.

Ian
Ian

mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by mymodeltrain » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:13 pm

IanC wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:37 pm
mymodeltrain wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:46 am

Ian
I agree, that is why I didn't want to use airbrush to begin with; I tried to find a simple and quick way. But now as no other choice available, I return to use airbrush. The preparation and cleaning are time consuming for airbrush; further, I also have to design a negative flow booth since I do it in my garage.
I use acrylic and enamel paint. With acrylic I mix my own thinners using IPA, water and add flow retarder and flow improver. I get the best results by making a very thin mix and slowly building up lots of coats. I don't particularly like airbrushing with acrylic, but for some things it's the best option.

Ian
For a small project, I guess buying ready-to-use paint for airbrush would be economical . I didn't know that we have to mix many things in the paint formulation, thanks for sharing. BTW, what is IPA?