Plexyglass buildings

What is your latest project?
mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: Plexyglass buildings

Post by mymodeltrain » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:29 pm

mymodeltrain wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:52 pm
IanC wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:21 am That's really impressive. I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops. I still can't imagine the finished building, but I do admire your use of (to me) a new material and techniques.

Ian
Thanks, I have a general idea how to do it, but not everything; so step-by-step idea will evolve during the process. This is how Pololu sent me the material; as requested, they send me back everything; I can re-used the punched out parts for window glass; unfortunately, I order opaque plexyglass, but I think it is still ok to use as close/dark windows for some, not all to generate real situations.
Pololu Plexiglass.jpg
Some updates with the spray painting during the weekend. It turned out not to be easy since spray painting using the cans created so much pressure that caused the stencils lift up. As the result the resolution is bad. I tried two times and I gave up. Then, I decided to use the airbrush (Iwata Eclipse). My hypothesis is that the pressure is much weaker and it is controllable, thus the resolution will be improved; and I used the stencil with airbrush before; it just requires more preparation and labor. In fact, I found out the Eclipse airbrush got clogged somewhere in my last use, during the cleaning process I dropped one of the small screws on the floor and I have no way to find it. So I decided to order a cheap Badger airbrush today. I hope my theory works.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:08 am

Sometimes a simple paint job can be so frustrating. Especially airbrush work. I've often spent longer setting up and cleaning than painting. Acrylics really try my patience sometimes with clogging.

Ian
Ian

mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by mymodeltrain » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:46 am

IanC wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:08 am Sometimes a simple paint job can be so frustrating. Especially airbrush work. I've often spent longer setting up and cleaning than painting. Acrylics really try my patience sometimes with clogging.

Ian
I agree, that is why I didn't want to use airbrush to begin with; I tried to find a simple and quick way. But now as no other choice available, I return to use airbrush. The preparation and cleaning is time consuming for airbrush; further, I also have to design a negative flow booth since I do it in my garage.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:37 pm

mymodeltrain wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:46 am
IanC wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:08 am Sometimes a simple paint job can be so frustrating. Especially airbrush work. I've often spent longer setting up and cleaning than painting. Acrylics really try my patience sometimes with clogging.

Ian
I agree, that is why I didn't want to use airbrush to begin with; I tried to find a simple and quick way. But now as no other choice available, I return to use airbrush. The preparation and cleaning is time consuming for airbrush; further, I also have to design a negative flow booth since I do it in my garage.
I use acrylic and enamel paint. With acrylic I mix my own thinners using IPA, water and add flow retarder and flow improver. I get the best results by making a very thin mix and slowly building up lots of coats. I don't particularly like airbrushing with acrylic, but for some things it's the best option.

Ian
Ian

mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by mymodeltrain » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:13 pm

IanC wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:37 pm

Ian
I agree, that is why I didn't want to use airbrush to begin with; I tried to find a simple and quick way. But now as no other choice available, I return to use airbrush. The preparation and cleaning are time consuming for airbrush; further, I also have to design a negative flow booth since I do it in my garage.
I use acrylic and enamel paint. With acrylic I mix my own thinners using IPA, water and add flow retarder and flow improver. I get the best results by making a very thin mix and slowly building up lots of coats. I don't particularly like airbrushing with acrylic, but for some things it's the best option.

Ian
For a small project, I guess buying ready-to-use paint for airbrush would be economical . I didn't know that we have to mix many things in the paint formulation, thanks for sharing. BTW, what is IPA?

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:12 pm

mymodeltrain wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:13 pm

I agree, that is why I didn't want to use airbrush to begin with; I tried to find a simple and quick way. But now as no other choice available, I return to use airbrush. The preparation and cleaning are time consuming for airbrush; further, I also have to design a negative flow booth since I do it in my garage.

Ian
For a small project, I guess buying ready-to-use paint for airbrush would be economical . I didn't know that we have to mix many things in the paint formulation, thanks for sharing. BTW, what is IPA?
IPA is Isopropyl Alcohol. Here's the video where I found the process for making my own. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8k3BJC80IQ

The IPA I get from Ebay. 1 litre cost me about £5 and I've got loads left over yet. I tend to use a little more fluid retarder and flow improver than suggested. The fluid retarder and flow improver are from Windsor & Newton. Hardly any improver and retarder are required so will probably last me a lifetime!

Cheep and cheerful, but for me I have control over the quality. Since I started using the mix I've found it much easier to airbrush with acrylic. Less tip drying too. The only trade-off is a slightly increased drying time.

Ian
Ian

mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by mymodeltrain » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:36 pm

IanC wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:12 pm
mymodeltrain wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:13 pm

Ian
IPA is Isopropyl Alcohol. Here's the video where I found the process for making my own. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8k3BJC80IQ

The IPA I get from Ebay. 1 litre cost me about £5 and I've got loads left over yet. I tend to use a little more fluid retarder and flow improver than suggested. The fluid retarder and flow improver are from Windsor & Newton. Hardly any improver and retarder are required so will probably last me a lifetime!

Cheep and cheerful, but for me I have control over the quality. Since I started using the mix I've found it much easier to airbrush with acrylic. Less tip drying too. The only trade-off is a slightly increased drying time.

Ian
Thanks for the information and the video, very convincing; I guess the fluid retarder and flow improver are available in Michaels or Hobby Lobby. I was frustrated with my airbrush skill in the past, most of the time I struggled with blockade and cleaning the tips and other parts, testing the formulation/flow/viscosity, all failed. I noted that for the same formulation and type of paint, different colors gave me different results. I was lucky with red but not others. I don't know if my assumption is correct but that was my experience, and since then I gave up. I hope the simple but robust Badger airbrush will boost up my enthusiasm with airbrush painting.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:58 am

IanC wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:12 pm

Ian

Ian
Ian,
Thanks for posting this. I've avoided air brushing after disappointing results when model boating back in the 90's! This sort of advice makes me think I should try again. Have you considered doing a step by step guide to your method in the 'Help and Advice section? (Please! :D )
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:09 am

Lonsdaler wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:58 am Ian,
Thanks for posting this. I've avoided air brushing after disappointing results when model boating back in the 90's! This sort of advice makes me think I should try again. Have you considered doing a step by step guide to your method in the 'Help and Advice section? (Please! :D )
It might take me a while to get round to doing a guide. I'm not an expert either just someone who has persevered read, and watched loads of videos on the subject. What I do is not original.

I'm happy for now to answer questions. I'll try and put some words together if it helps.

Ian
Ian

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:16 am

IanC wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:09 am
Lonsdaler wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:58 am Ian,
It might take me a while to get round to doing a guide. I'm not an expert either just someone who has persevered read, and watched loads of videos on the subject. What I do is not original.

I'm happy for now to answer questions. I'll try and put some words together if it helps.

Ian
I'm not trying to pressurise you Ian :) . I know you have made models for other people and you seem to have your head around air brushing. Like you, I should delve deeper into the web of the wide world, and not expect you to provide it for me! :oops:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077