IP Engineering Albert

What is your latest project?
IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: IP Engineering Albert

Post by IanC » Sun May 06, 2018 5:36 pm

Thank you Rik,

I was interested to note that you fit 4wd after you have completed the build and not during it.

I would have thought that it's harder to do it that way than when the kit is still in parts?

I'll await your findings. Given the speed of your previous builds I suspect that won't be long!

Ian
Ian

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon May 07, 2018 7:50 am

IanC wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 5:36 pm Thank you Rik,

I was interested to note that you fit 4wd after you have completed the build and not during it.

I would have thought that it's harder to do it that way than when the kit is still in parts?

I'll await your findings. Given the speed of your previous builds I suspect that won't be long!

Ian
Hi Ian
You're quite right. It would have made a lot more sense to install the 4wd mechanism during the build, but I was doing this one as simply as possible purposefully for my blog. I realised, when replying to someone who had enquired about fitting radio control, that nowhere on my blog was a simple description of how to do it. All my descriptions include wiring-up additional bits and pieces like directional lighting or soundcards. So I kept the initial build and rc installation as straightforward as possible. Just like the HGLW build, I'll write up the detailing ( and the fitting of 4wd) as a separate posting. I'll put a link in the first post in the mechanism section to the 4wd post, mentioning it would be a good time to fit the chain drive but a first-time builder might prefer not to have the added complication at that stage (but might decide to do it later).

Sorry, long answer to a simple question.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Mon May 07, 2018 8:50 am

ge_rik wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 7:50 am
IanC wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 5:36 pm Thank you Rik,

Ian
Hi Ian
You're quite right. It would have made a lot more sense to install the 4wd mechanism during the build, but I was doing this one as simply as possible purposefully for my blog. I realised, when replying to someone who had enquired about fitting radio control, that nowhere on my blog was a simple description of how to do it. All my descriptions include wiring-up additional bits and pieces like directional lighting or soundcards. So I kept the initial build and rc installation as straightforward as possible. Just like the HGLW build, I'll write up the detailing ( and the fitting of 4wd) as a separate posting. I'll put a link in the first post in the mechanism section to the 4wd post, mentioning it would be a good time to fit the chain drive but a first-time builder might prefer not to have the added complication at that stage (but might decide to do it later).

Sorry, long answer to a simple question.

Rik
Rik,

Don't apologise for any long answers. I understand your logic. As I am a simple person and lack a lot of experience in this scale, all knowledge is good and useful. There may be other browsers out there too like me. Performance is important to me, besides having a good looking loco hence my questions.

Interestingly from what I understand the two locomotives (HGLW and IPE) use diffferent forms of 4wd. IPE presumably uses a chain and the HGLW a belt? As far as I know IPE no longer supply the chain and cogs?

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to reply.

Ian
Ian

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon May 07, 2018 9:15 am

IanC wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 8:50 am Interestingly from what I understand the two locomotives (HGLW and IPE) use diffferent forms of 4wd. IPE presumably uses a chain and the HGLW a belt? As far as I know IPE no longer supply the chain and cogs?
Yes, curious that the chain and sprockets are no longer on the IPE website, as they make a world of difference to 2wd locos' performance. I like the way that 4wd is made available as an option on the HGLW website, and the pulley system is a lot easier to build - in fact, wheels, gears and pulleys come already fitted to the axles which makes construction a lot easier for a novice, whereas the wheels and gears have to be fitted to the axles in the IPE kit which can be a bit daunting if you've not done it before.

Rik
------------------------

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Mon May 07, 2018 9:38 am

ge_rik wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 9:15 am
IanC wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 8:50 am Interestingly from what I understand the two locomotives (HGLW and IPE) use diffferent forms of 4wd. IPE presumably uses a chain and the HGLW a belt? As far as I know IPE no longer supply the chain and cogs?
Yes, curious that the chain and sprockets are no longer on the IPE website, as they make a world of difference to 2wd locos' performance. I like the way that 4wd is made available as an option on the HGLW website, and the pulley system is a lot easier to build - in fact, wheels, gears and pulleys come already fitted to the axles which makes construction a lot easier for a novice, whereas the wheels and gears have to be fitted to the axles in the IPE kit which can be a bit daunting if you've not done it before.

Rik
Thanks again Rik. I've built locomotive kits in 4mm scale so the IPE system wouldn't be a concern for me. I wonder if one system is better thant the other?
I'll enquire with IPE if I remember to see if they still do the 4wd kit.

Ian
Ian

James from Devon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by James from Devon » Fri May 11, 2018 10:34 am

Nice build Rik and as usual, a great video :)
Garden railways don't run on steam or electric rather wine and Jedi master level patience

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat May 12, 2018 7:41 am

Agree with James a very nice build Rik and thanks for showing us how to wire up. :thumbright:

You’re one of the most helpful guys on the forum. I have learnt and found out so much since being on the forum from you. :thumbright: :thumbright:

Get both IPE and HGLW kits and then make your own conclusion…or just have them for the fun of them…. :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat May 12, 2018 9:33 am

FWLR wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 7:41 am Get both IPE and HGLW kits and then make your own conclusion…or just have them for the fun of them…. :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:
Thanks Rod
Having now made both kits my comparative conclusions are:

Ease of build
The HGLW kit is easier to build - it has fewer parts and they all align with tabs and slots. The IPE parts are more delicate and only a few have tabs and slots and so rely on the builder's judgement and eye. The IPE instructions are more detailed and more helpful though I did find one section, the engine compartment lid, a bit confusing to put together.

Mechanism
The mechanism on the HGLW loco feels more robust. It has a brass worm wheel and a plastic worm, whereas the IPE mechanism has both worm and worm wheel made from plastic. The HGLW kit also comes with a spare worm, in case of wear. The wheels and gears are supplied ready mounted in the HGLW kit, whereas they need to be fitted together in the IPE kit, though a jig is provided to ensure the wheels and gear are mounted correctly. You can buy a 4wd version of the chassis for the HGLW loco whereas you have to sort that out yourself with the IPE kit. To my mind, 4wd is a must, it makes so much difference to the hauling power of the locos. The disadvantage of the HGLW loco is that it is harder to adjust the back to back measurement on the wheels which I found necessary to run through Piko and LGB pointwork. It would probably be just right for Peco pointwork.

Finish
The finish on the IPE loco is to my mind better than the HGLW loco. The IPE loco is made from thin ply whereas the HGLW loco is made from slightly thicker MDF. This means the parts on the IPE loco are finer than those on the HGLW loco, but it also means the HGLW loco is a bit more robust. Both need to be carefully rubbed down and primed before painting. The HGLW loco needed a bit more filling than the IPE loco, but that might have been my lack of precision during construction. The edges of the MDF on the HGLW loco absorb paint and so need to be sealed with extra coats of primer. Both locos can be detailed to improve their appearance.

Fitting radio control
There's a bit more room inside the HGLW loco to fit an 18650 li ion battery and a Deltang receiver controller. I found I could just squeeze two AA sized li-ion batteries beneath the the chassis of the IPE loco and wire them in parallel, so I get twice the running time. There's sufficient room on both locos for a switch and a charge socket. I'd say they are equal in terms of ease with which RC can be fitted.

Conclusion
For a beginner, I would recommend the HGLW kit. It's quicker and easier to construct. For a more experienced modeller or someone wanting a more detailed model, then I would suggest the IPE kit, though I think it is a pity a 4wd option is not provided as standard.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat May 12, 2018 9:35 am

Just wondering if the above should be posted in the Reviews section??

Rik
------------------------

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat May 12, 2018 10:26 am

Thanks Rik. Another brilliant review and I am now going to get both when funds permit, though it will be one bought at a time. 👍👍

I think you should put it on the review thread.👍

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Sat May 12, 2018 10:56 am

The review is excellent, fair and honest. Thank you for posting it Rik.

Ian
Ian

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:13 pm

Taken a while (since May) to get around to finishing off this wee beastie - but she's now resplendent in PLR colours. Still need to add some detailing such as the cab interior, a driver, an exhaust pipe and some general clutter on the running board - oh and name and number plates - but otherwise she's ready to enter service. I'd forgotten what a fag painting plywood rolling stock is .....
IMG_8142.JPG
IMG_8142.JPG (181.73 KiB) Viewed 5267 times
IMG_8144.JPG
IMG_8144.JPG (190.68 KiB) Viewed 5267 times
I've blogged the build for anyone who might be interested.
https://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2018/0 ... lbert.html

Rik
------------------------

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:59 pm

Albert looks good Rik. All painting is a drag. One reason it's taken me around two years to paint my Newqida coaches. I've a load of OO stuff to paint and I can't be bothered.

Ian
Ian

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:37 am

Love those little extra details on the buffers Rik. :thumbright:

Just read the blog and you have made the build even easier for people with little or no experience in building kits. You are correct about encouraging new people into 16mm, it is a cheap and easy build.

Thanks Rik. :thumbright:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:41 am

FWLR wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:37 am Love those little extra details on the buffers Rik. :thumbright:

Just read the blog and you have made the build even easier for people with little or no experience in building kits. You are correct about encouraging new people into 16mm, it is a cheap and easy build.

Thanks Rik. :thumbright:
And thank you Rod. Nice to get such supportive feedback.

Rik
------------------------

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:18 am

That really is a nice-looking little engine. Thanks for posting about it.