The Crowfoot Light Railway website re-vamp

What is your latest project?
andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

The Crowfoot Light Railway website re-vamp

Post by andymctractor » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:58 am

I do a little bit of Facebook for hobby related information but, as I don't have the inclination to learn to use it to its advantage, I tend to find things more by luck than judgment. A hobby related website allows the author/builder to present information in their own way rather than how the very clever people running systems such as Facebook want to present it.

The point of this topic is to let people know that I have re-vamped my website albeit I've used photographs that I intend to replace when my fair weather railway awakes from the winter in spring 2018. Have a look.

www.crowfootlightrailway.webs.com

Regards
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: The Crowfoot Light Railway website re-vamp

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:59 am

That looks good Andy, everything set out well and clearly explained. The railway plan helps too as it is impossible to imagine how everything fits together.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:03 pm

Nice redo on the website there.

Please would you tell me what sort of an area does your railway occupies, Andy? I am trying to plan a railway in a square-ish garden and I am having difficulty making the mental adjustment from the long narrow arrangement in our last home.

Cheers,
Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

steamer68
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by steamer68 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:38 pm

Hi Andy the website looks great nicely set out with some lovely pictures. :thumbleft:
Regards
Kevin

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:57 am

IrishPeter wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:03 pm Please would you tell me what sort of an area does your railway occupies, Andy?
Hi Peter,
I've done some quick measurements for you. Also, while the plan is not to scale it is in proportion and the shed is 10ft by 8ft. Hope you can see them at your end.
I started building the trackbed from Crowfoot Station area clockwise and found I had to start tightening up the radii by the time I reached the area near the end of the shed. It is still manageable but trains do slow down here due to the extra friction on the wheels. I'm also glad I used 32mm gauge. I'm probably too old to build similar again but if I did I would make a more detailed plan of action.
CLR plan.jpg
CLR plan.jpg (466.63 KiB) Viewed 7542 times
Merry Christmas
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:14 pm

Thanks to all for positive comments.

Here is a link to a YouTube video of the CLR

https://youtu.be/Gfqa_6PtOQs

Apologies to those who have seen it before.

Merry Christmas
Regards
Andy McMahon

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:23 pm

That is wonderful, Andy, thank you so very much! It is even in real measurements so I can understand it, and not have to go looking for the pocket calculator!

The garden project here is for a 32mm line but to 7/32nds scale rather than 5/8ths, so that I can piggyback off the dreaded G scale here in the USA. I have 45mm lurking in its Irish tramway form in the basement as my winter layout. Christmas morning on the west side of the Blue Ridge is 25F with significant wind chill this morning, so even the dogs are thinking twice before going out!

Merry Christmas!
Peter in AZ
andymctractor wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:57 am
IrishPeter wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:03 pm Please would you tell me what sort of an area does your railway occupies, Andy?
Hi Peter,
I've done some quick measurements for you. Also, while the plan is not to scale it is in proportion and the shed is 10ft by 8ft. Hope you can see them at your end.
I started building the trackbed from Crowfoot Station area clockwise and found I had to start tightening up the radii by the time I reached the area near the end of the shed. It is still manageable but trains do slow down here due to the extra friction on the wheels. I'm also glad I used 32mm gauge. I'm probably too old to build similar again but if I did I would make a more detailed plan of action.
CLR plan.jpg

Merry Christmas
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:20 pm

I must have missed this when it was posted first.
Nice revamp of the site, I agree with your comment about fb. While it does have its uses, it cannot replace a decent website or forum.
If you add a links section to your marvelous site is there any chance of a gratuitous plug/link to this forum?
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:42 pm

Big Jim wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:20 pm - is there any chance of a gratuitous plug/link to this forum?
I've created a 'Useful links' page and put three links on it but I can't get the website builder to make them click and go. This means, for the meantime, users will have to copy the link from the new page and paste it in their browser. A bit of a pain.

HAVE NOW MANAGED TO SET UP THE LINKS PROPERLY. HOPE IT WORKS FOR ALL THAT WANT A LINK TO THIS FORUM FROM MY WEBSITE, ALSO A LINK TO THE 16MM ASS. WEBSITE AND ALSO A LINK TO A 2015 VIDEO OF THE CLR.

Apologies.
Regards
Andy McMahon

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:53 am

Thanks Andy, I do like the video.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:37 pm

Really great looking website, Andy and also a great looking railway. Some very nice scenic touches and plenty of operating potential.
Interested to see you're intending to build a Hunslet steam outline battery loco from a GRS kit. These kits go together well and I'm sure will be a welcome addition to your roster. Are you using their chassis or constructing your own?

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:40 pm

Thanks for the link Andy.

I hope others also follow your lead.

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:38 pm

ge_rik wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:37 pm Interested to see you're intending to build a Hunslet steam outline battery loco from a GRS kit. These kits go together well and I'm sure will be a welcome addition to your roster. Are you using their chassis or constructing your own? Rik
I purchased the body and chassis kit at the same time at a show. I note that the motor fitted is up to 24 volts as the kit is originally intended for track supply. I've got the chassis moving on 3 volts and it has been suggested to me that my 12 volt battery pack will be ample. I don't need top speed with this one as it is mainly for my apprentice operator who is only three at this time. (See photos)
I ideally want radio control with a credible UK like steamy sound card possibly with a whistle. :roll:
I haven't yet purchased speed controller, receiver, transmitter or charging socket, possibly because I don't know much about how to properly fit them. I have purchased name plates though. You can see that I have thought about the build but haven't done much about it.
I may be tempted to try finding a trader who will supply and fit the relevant bits. This may get a bit expensive but it would be cheaper than chucking the lot in the bin when it doesn't work. :oops:
PHOTOS OF APPRENTICE OPERATOR
Here she is supervising shunting at Crowfoot Station. The CLR doesn't have any tunnels, unlike on the island of Sodor, so I rest the goods shed over the goods passing loop so she can see the trains passing through it. I may have to add a tunnel but I will probably wait till she is old enough to do most of the spade work, if she still likes trains by then.
Crace-on-CLR-3web.jpg
Crace-on-CLR-3web.jpg (366.64 KiB) Viewed 7295 times
Here she is verbally taking charge of a goods train.
Grace-on-CLR-1web.jpg
Grace-on-CLR-1web.jpg (449.84 KiB) Viewed 7295 times
Regards
Andy McMahon

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:34 pm

Sounds like a good plan. I've had a four year old happily running a battery loco ( in fact he was a lot more careful and considerate than a seven year old who visited a couple of weeks later).

I'd be happy to advise and/or assist with the rc installation if you feel in need. Otherwise I can recommend my successor at RC Trains - unless you want a different system.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:07 pm

Love that first picture, a study of concentration.
Grant.

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:13 pm

The JCB T-Shirt gives away her engineering passion!
Where did I put that uncoupler?