Christmas projects

What is your latest project?
JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Christmas projects

Post by JMORG » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:30 am

So, what sort of interesting items are we getting/starting this Christmas?
The LVLR and Morgan Locomotive Works are currently a "low" priority for various reasons; including my Engineering HND and martial arts training. Be interesting to see what everyone is doing, might motivate me to get something started!

Big Jim

Re: Christmas projects

Post by Big Jim » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:51 pm

I think any shed time for me will be limited. However, the current wife was seen hanging around the IP engineering stand at the Exeter show so who knows?
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Re: Christmas/New Year projects

Post by IrishPeter » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:54 pm

Over Christmas, per se, not much will get done. Christmas Eve/Day are fairly busy for me, though not as all out as Easter. With Christmas being a Monday, things are a bit of a mess this year, but by Tuesday I should be into the Turkey hangover period where everyone leaves me alone, so I can then get some serious railway work done! It helps that the theological institute has no classes now until after Twelfth Night, so I have a whole 17 days with the minimum to do.

At the moment I am watching the weather forecast like a hawk looking for a warm day for spray painting the first of the Reko cars. Day time highs are bouncing around between 34F and 62F over the next week with Saturday looking like painting day if the rain holds off! If we get a couple of days around 50F I can get to ground clearance for the Coverdale Light Railway in earnest. There is a bit of timing/diplomacy involved with this as 'her next door' works nights, every other week, so I don't want to start work until she is up around 3pm, or pick a week when she is on days. A 3pm start only gives me a couple of hours before dark here in the Old Dominion. Who am I kidding!? A couple of hours and I will be well tired.

That said, the weather could go west, or puppy duties intervene and nothing get done!

Cheers,
Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

steamer68
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by steamer68 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:35 pm

I'm planning on building my coal wagon from the Ezee range but I will be working Christmas day and boxing day no rest for us nurses. :thumbleft:
Regards
Kevin

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:39 pm

RHLW closes for the year tomorrow, but next week will see my workshop completely emptied, cleaned and then re-filled. This is an opportunity to service my machine tools, put lots of stuff away in its proper home, and find all of those bits that pinged across the room during the year never - until now - to be seen again.

Before that though I hope to spend some time working on my own latest loco project. It nearly runs now, but not quite.
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:15 pm

Come on Tony what are you working on? :mrgreen:

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:32 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:15 pmCome on Tony what are you working on? :mrgreen:
Sorry, no secret, I should have said. It is a Wrightscale Wren kit that I bought off ebay a couple of months ago. It dates from 2000 according the boiler certificate and the original purchaser had put the chassis together but not much more than that. I suspect it had been sitting in its box untouched for many years. The chassis did not actually work as delivered, but I have got it running on air and have mounted the boiler and got the burner working. Unfortunately it does not run on steam as the original builder looks to have used the wrong solder on the valve chest steam pipes, which melts - and leaks - when it gets hot! Not sure how to fix that yet...

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:53 pm

All slow progress here but done most of the present distributions, just the grandson to do. Food shop outstanding....can't wait :( Hoping to clad a shed and hinge the doors before 2018.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:53 pm

This Christmas we are cleaning out the workshop to make a wee bit more room
one of the items we are offering

Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Gralyn
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Gralyn » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:39 am

Do you have a different coloured bucket??>> :)
Regards Graham.

CVLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by CVLR » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:41 pm

I shall mostly be building a railway with my mate Jack Daniels.....it'll probably be quite wiggly....
What's this button do then? ooops.....

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:03 pm

CVLR wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:41 pm I shall mostly be building a railway with my mate Jack Daniels.....it'll probably be quite wiggly....
Power to your drinking elbow mate! :occasion5:
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

CVLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by CVLR » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:46 pm

😁
What's this button do then? ooops.....