Re: Finishing the unfinished

Post by invicta280 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:16 pm

What a beautiful station building. Full of character. :thumbup: :thumbup:

RylstonLight
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RylstonLight » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:58 am

Thanks for all the positive comments. In response to some tof the comments. The design of the building is adapted from LNWR Conwy Valley Line at Roman Bridge. It was adapted for the geometry of JigStones and had the booking office arch added. In addition it is a mirror image to fit in better with the planned RLR mark2.

There were a couple of positive comments about painting, but in fact it hasn't been painted. I have been experimenting with imprinted concrete techniques, and have some graphite coloured release agent. This is available as samples from imprinted concrete suppliers and I havn't yet used the bag supplied. A light dusing into the JigStone mould, trying to vary the amount for each cast, and then casting with car repair resin from Halfords resulted in the "paint job" commented on. I hope that this is at least as resilient to the Yorkshire weather as paint.

The imprinted concrete experiments are with view to the new RLR trackbed. More will be revealed later. However the use of coloured concrete has for buildings has had mixed experimental success with the concrete crumbling after 2y. I rather the additonal cost of the resin for JigStone buildings, than a constant rebuild programme.

Andy
Andy S. at the Rylston Light Railway

RylstonLight
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RylstonLight » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:17 pm

I seem to have a butterfly approach to modelling and so the last two days has seen no more progress on the station building, but this is why:
Cast iron skew underbridge.png
Cast iron skew underbridge.png (384.69 KiB) Viewed 6463 times

I have been constructing a cast-iron (style) skew underbridge for the Rylston Station approach over the last two days. The starting point were two cast resin bridge sides (no other components) that I picked up from a stall at the 2017 Elsecar show. They were really cheap; I cannot remember clearly the stall or price (put it down to "chemo-brain"), but possibly Classic Cinema from Cleethorpes and possibly £9 each side. If anyone knows otherwise please correct me.

However I decided to add some further depth with styrene half-round rods, some styrene scrap and left-over Slaters styrene numbers. The white (and black) areas are added styrene but the cream is the original resin casting bought:
Cast iron sides unpainted.png
Cast iron sides unpainted.png (301.6 KiB) Viewed 6463 times

The underbridge detail is a mixture of a cast of the lower half of the bought-in side (using a reusable mould material) and styrene off-cuts for the lateral bracing. The detail is not great (lots of casting defects) but I reckon it only needs to be low-fidelity under the bridge as it will be dark and shaded so won't be seen in too much detail.

A more general view:
Cast iron skew underbridge 2.png
Cast iron skew underbridge 2.png (308.13 KiB) Viewed 6463 times

I feel that one-and-a-half days work and under £20 for the bough-in castings have resulted in a passible skew-bridge. Of course stock materials add to the cost.

Andy

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:02 pm

A bargain buy there, very attractive and useful and appropriate addition to your railway design.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:06 pm

Absolutely superb Andy. I honestly had to look twice to make sure it wasn't full sized!

Any idea who manufactured them? I could do with a couple of sets myself.

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

RylstonLight
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RylstonLight » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:29 pm

Soar Valley Light wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:06 pm
Any idea who manufactured them? I could do with a couple of sets myself.

Andrew
I got them from a stall at Elsecar Show. There were several for sale so they are presumably marketed by someone. I half-remember that the stall was Classic Cinema (which have a website Classic Loco) based in Cleethorpes, but cannot be 100% certain as it was a special day out when I wasn’t firing on all cylinders. They were seriously cheap. I have tried to check the Classic site (www.classicloco.co.uk) to see if it was them, but their website does comment that only a fraction of their stock is on the website. They do commission their own products so it possibly is them. They were so cheap my wife paid cash so no record there either! Sorry.

Andy

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:50 am

That is a wonderful structure, as Andrew said I saw the first pic. and thought that was the full size one you were going to emulate.
Grant.
PS 1979 the start of your railway perhaps? can't tell if its an 8 or 9

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:18 am

Andy, both the station and the bridge are simply beautiful. I know what you mean about internal detail though, I get sucked in like that as well!
Thanks for sharing.
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:25 am

Thats a very nice bridge. :thumbright:

RylstonLight
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RylstonLight » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:31 am

LNR wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:50 am PS 1979 the start of your railway perhaps? can't tell if its an 8 or 9
It’s 1879. The putative history is that the RLR was first incorporated as a Tramway before being reincorporated as a light railway after the Light Railway Act was enacted. The original date was going to be 1889, but I didn’t have enough “8’s” left on my Slater’s letter sprue to write that so hence now 1879 :lol: It also pushes the date closer to when cast iron would be the choice design, although I believe short arched designs with lighter loads in cast iron were used later than in other circumstances. I also have made up a SHL resin roll top girder bridge and an American made (Hampton Garden Railway Models marketed in UK by Cain Howley) plate girder deck plate girder with no rivet detail (so presumably “welded” construction). I am struggling with a back story for that combination!

I am spending Sunday morning drinking frothy coffee and contemplating how to make shoes to fit the bridge and whether or not to model newel posts for the end of the bridge.

Andy

RylstonLight
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RylstonLight » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:12 pm

I have several times referred to hunting out some old photos of the (now-defunct) Rylston Light Railway (mark 1), but I thought it would be tidier to have a separate thread

https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 04#p134104

I hope you enjoy it.

Andy

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:44 am

Brilliant station and bridge Andy - the perfect tonic to help your health improve!
Where did I put that uncoupler?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:44 pm

markoteal wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:44 am Brilliant station and bridge Andy - the perfect tonic to help your health improve!
Hear hear ....... in all respects

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:50 pm

I have no idea how I've managed to miss this thread.

Superb and inspiring modelling. I hope you are fully recovered.

I'm planning to review my unfinished projects. Some will be sold, some will be scrapped and a few may even get finished.

Ian
Ian