Finishing the unfinished

What is your latest project?
RylstonLight
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: Finishing the unfinished

Post by RylstonLight » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:42 pm

THE NEXT FINISH WAGON No15.

As I was preparing to restart the Lister I realised that a top-hinged door coal wagon (No15) still needed its door catches fashioning and fitting (and some tare weights added).

No15 with no door catches. Fashioned largely from reclaimed wooden fruit boxes which are an excellent source of distressed wood.
No15 no catch.png
No15 no catch.png (366.06 KiB) Viewed 5952 times

Marking and cutting out the catch from stock metal bar
No15 marking out catch.png
No15 marking out catch.png (317 KiB) Viewed 5952 times

One fabricated catch
No15 catch detail.png
No15 catch detail.png (314.17 KiB) Viewed 5952 times

Finished catch
No15 finished catch.png
No15 finished catch.png (359.5 KiB) Viewed 5952 times

Detail of the distressed effects you can get with using reclaimed wooden fruit boxes
No15 reclaimed detail.png
No15 reclaimed detail.png (351.22 KiB) Viewed 5952 times
And that another completed projected (I think).
Andy S. at the Rylston Light Railway

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:44 pm

And another row of awestruck faces reading this latest update Andy, I've no doubt. Your work is truly amazing. :thumbup:

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

RylstonLight
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RylstonLight » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:08 pm

The NEXT FINISH: The Lister (in progress still)

The IP engineering Lister was a stalled rebuild. I was trying to be too clever and put in a microprocessor control to make it more, well, controllable. The electrics worked but it proved a bridge too-far to fit it all into the limited spaces available. After much fiddling it was consigned to the back of the study-desk. To be honest I feel "KISS" is the winning principle here and decided to re-install something akin to the designed electrics.

The kit is some years old but I think is still listed on IP's website as current. The white-metal engine block casting is good for its era but the fan-cover has always looked to me as an oppressively blank face with the merest hint of casted grill.

Lister in uniform matt brown
Lister before.png
Lister before.png (357.54 KiB) Viewed 5949 times

Detail of fan cover with casting of grill just visible
Lister before engine.png
Lister before engine.png (271.19 KiB) Viewed 5949 times

Hopefully we can do better, a web-purchase of woven brass mesh from The Mesh Company cost a total of £3.39 for an A5 panel. They knocked 50p off for a Christmas bonus!
Lister filter parts.png
Lister filter parts.png (366.61 KiB) Viewed 5949 times

This was soldered to a turned brass bevel
Lister filter whole.png
Lister filter whole.png (327.34 KiB) Viewed 5949 times

And when offered over the original casting: it definitely shows promise.
Lister filter offer.png
Lister filter offer.png (330.73 KiB) Viewed 5949 times

Project status: progressing well

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:46 pm

Very nice job on the fan cover.

I am looking at fitting rc to one of these. I managed to fit them in a standard simplex, but I think this one could be a real challenge.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

RylstonLight
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RylstonLight » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:55 pm

I am intrigued, do tell more.

I am not milling away beneath the grill until I am happy the grill is convincing. It is clearly over-scale thickness. But I just gave it a quick dip in Carr's Metal Black for Brass to make it less obvious and offered it up again.

Lister filter offer black.png
Lister filter offer black.png (329.03 KiB) Viewed 5933 times

The final version will be finished in Lister Green with just the grill fading to black. Need to sleep on it.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:28 pm

That wagon is absolutely superb. True realism.
Grant.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:41 pm

LNR wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:28 pm That wagon is absolutely superb. True realism.
Grant.
Totally agree with you there Grant.... hats off to the Master.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:47 pm

I think the engine is supposed to be a Lister LD. It may not have had a fan cover as it depended on what tinwork covered the flywheel. I think the mesh cover you have done is spot on. These engines and the locos they were fitted to were adapted and repaired over the years so I think that it is a case of anything goes.

This is how I crammed rc into a simplex.
https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... ilit=Boaz
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:24 am

Wouldn’t you just know it, I had one of those 4 years ago, but give it to my brother for a project he was doing for his huge pond he has. I used it to drive a circular saw i had before my heart op...come to think of it, I haven’t seen it at brothers lately.... :scratch:

Number 15 is very nice indeed David, a truly beautiful piece of craftsmanship. :notworthy: :notworthy:

River Lin
Fireman
Fireman

Post by River Lin » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:36 pm

The amount of realism you guys achieve with making things look old is amazing. Sometimes i have to convince myself that i am looking at 19:1 not 1:1.
D.
David T.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:29 pm

Amen to that David! :notworthy:
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

RylstonLight
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RylstonLight » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:03 pm

Happy New Year and thank you for all the kind comments but I have to suggest that my modelling is not altogether high fidelity, but more about "willing suspension of disbelief". I tend to be selective with what I model as "ultra-scale" as most can be much lower-fidelity.

The workshop was designed as a photographic stage, and so most of the background clutter and equipment is suggested by rough wooden shapes. As cameras have got better I am gradually improving the wooden ones to more scale models. Eg the lathe is still blocks of wood, but the drill press is slightly more detailed now. The photographs also help by maintaining maximum depth of field resulting in timed exposures, not a problem as nothing is moving. But shallow depth of field gives away a photograph of a model.

Below is an example of "willing suspension of disbelief". I find it easier to believe if free-lance models have plausible backstory that is suggested visually. The RLR in heritage times needed modern rolling stock and rather like the WHR looked abroad to import second hand equipment. The first modelled is No 63. I hope this is seen as a SAR-type metal-bodied wagon.

No 63.png
No 63.png (384.3 KiB) Viewed 5740 times

Once you know that it is a "Really Useful Box Company" plastic box stuck onto a basic plastic chasssis, with some added plasticard detailling; then it is harder to see the supposed 1:1 wagon.

Honestly not the high standards scale modellers are churning out all the time. However Peter Denny of Buckingham Branch Line (and a clockwork garden railway) fame used to claim that if everything the eye's sees is to the same standard it will tend to believe the model scene as real. I think it even more so with the camera lens if used judiously.

The modelling may no the the best but if you are willing to "disbelieve" and see into my world then that is a complement too

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:09 pm

Bloomimng eck - great point well made - I was looking at the pic thinking you'd done a great LGB conversion and then after reading all your post and I look again, I can see the plastic box - great lesson!
Where did I put that uncoupler?

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:58 am

Some very interesting points Andy.
Even although a railway item is generally the focul point of many pictures, my aim is to make them fit IN the scene rather than on it, if that makes sense. I'm sure you must get a lot of enjoyment setting up these wonderful scenes, I know I do. The camera certainly sees a lot the "objective" eye fails to notice.
Grant.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:32 am

Still brilliant work no matter how you look at them. :thumbright:

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:40 am

Lovely work. I use a longer version of there narrow box to hold my steamy bits'n'bobs in, and have often wondered if it could make a useful wagon. Now I know (in the right hands, anyway!) :D
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

RylstonLight
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RylstonLight » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:36 pm

LNR wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:58 am The camera certainly sees a lot the "objective" eye fails to notice.
Grant.
Especially in the garden, the number of good shots I have ruined by not noticing a bright red wheelbarrow wheel in the mid-distance that draws the eye to it.
The Rylston Light is between incarnations, and I was planning the next version so that scenes "fall into" themselves to minimise real world parts of the garden intruding. It will have to be seen if it ever achieves the intent.

RylstonLight
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RylstonLight » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:46 pm

AND continuing the Lister project:

I managed to get several short runs in the (1:1) workshop that allowed me to "machine" out the void behind the new grill. Done with sequential drilling up to 10mm with electric hand drill, then use of handheld mini-drill (predates Dremel but same principle) with a ball mill.

As you can see pretty crude:
Lister void.png
Lister void.png (361.91 KiB) Viewed 6550 times

But when the grill is placed lightly up against the void the irregular edges are hidden:
Lister void offer.png
Lister void offer.png (378.16 KiB) Viewed 6550 times

And then next step will be spraying the raw metal, but not with today's weather. The rest of the afternoon was devoted to small repair jobs and my rolling programme of adding tare weight markings to rolling stock (interspersed with the odd nap!).

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:15 am

I have a nap or two every day... :lol: :lol: :lol:

RylstonLight
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RylstonLight » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:18 pm

Lister project continues:

This may get mired again as Big Jim has made me think again. RC size has greatly improved since the project stalled last time. Thanks Jim for link to Boaz project.

However there was some progress on painting until the wind got up again. It was finally finished as light was failing.

Tony, the Lister Renovation Project co-ordinator, stood back to admire the paint job after he'd lovingly applied the last brush-stroke. He insists that careful research showed that this was the nearest match to Lister green. The CME came across from the running shed and stood a full minute before gulping and walking back out to the twilight without a word. Old Tom muttered something about it "maybe be even more in yer face in 'daylight", with a definite impish smile. Hard to tell under the incandescent lights.

Lister green.png
Lister green.png (353.28 KiB) Viewed 6512 times

Still progress has been made.