Finishing the unfinished

What is your latest project?
LNR
Driver
Driver

Re: Finishing the unfinished

Post by LNR » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:16 am

Your pics. have me scrutinizing the background in addition to the main subject, did you add the fan behind the radiator on the diesel? Love the overhead line shafting, HO wheels with the flange turned off perhaps. (be a bit of whip running anything off the centre pulleys ;) ) Timber workshops always look very comfy with the lights on, glow of timber and all that. Excellent work and more please, as others have said.
Grant.

RylstonLight
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RylstonLight » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:32 pm

The Lister may have stalled awaiting electrics, but the workshop lads have pressed ahead with No 6 Observation Coach (aka "The Lady of the Dales").

Bob worked into the gloom of the late afternoon finishing the lining, but of course Old Davey (who hangs around the workshop) knows a better way of doing it from when he was a lad. Still it does mean he vacated his favourite place by the fire for once.

Bob lining with advice.png
Bob lining with advice.png (301.15 KiB) Viewed 5967 times

The decals and lining are done, the brasswork been fitted. All that needs doing is the lighting and fabricating the roof. Thorough testing of the Cleminson Chassis will have to follow when the weather is warmer, as I have worries about the vertical movement of the middle axle (or relative lack of it).
Andy S. at the Rylston Light Railway

RylstonLight
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RylstonLight » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:55 pm

LNR wrote: ↑Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:16 am Your pics. have me scrutinizing the background in addition to the main subject, did you add the fan behind the radiator on the diesel? Love the overhead line shafting, HO wheels with the flange turned off perhaps. (be a bit of whip running anything off the centre pulleys ;) ) Timber workshops always look very comfy with the lights on, glow of timber and all that. Excellent work and more please, as others have said.
Grant.
The fan is a cheap internal computer fan and runs when in use. The overhead line uses turned down wheels from (I think) Ron Grant. Many years ago when he was trading he sometimes included a SINGLE extra wheel in an order (!). Even when you didn't order any wheelsets. I'm not sure if it was a form of advertising of what he did. Still what can you do with three wheels which is what I acquired over time? The overhead line shafting (along with the block-and-tackle) are photographic props and in fact if you look closely (well, maybe not as I try to control stray revealing angles) you might make out that they are engineering impossibilities. But they look good in setting the scene.

I have to retrieve some photographs of the actual garden railway as I am aware that this thread is getting a little thread-bare with only three-and-a-half square feet of workshop to photograph. Still the projects have been good occupational therapy and rehab.

Many thanks for everyone's kind comments.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:06 pm

It's the best three and a half feet of workshop I've seen in a while, and a perfect use for three wheels. Being compact has the advantage of complete control over background, and foreground, something that can be hard outside. Fences are the photographic bane of my life.
Grant.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:34 am

Just love your work Andy, it does seem so real.... :thumbright: :thumbright:

RylstonLight
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RylstonLight » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:14 pm

Hi, the unfinished projects are still being whittled down. Fortunately my health improves, but unfortunately this means I'm expected to go back to work. Funny that they won't consider paying me to make a 16mm world indefinitely!

Rylston Station building is still cluttering my desk, but much of the external work is now complete. It is a JigStone cast in resin with which I experimented with self colouring casting. I swore that I wouldn't get sucked into any internal detail. But then decided that some "low fidelity" modelling wouldn't take too long.

Peering in from the platform side, we can see the Edmondson ticket machine on the booking desk.
Booking Office from desk.png
Booking Office from desk.png (414.24 KiB) Viewed 5682 times

Peering in from the opposite side of the building, we can see the Edmondson tickets in their rack.
booking office from cupboard.png
booking office from cupboard.png (414.4 KiB) Viewed 5682 times

Swivelling round we can see the desk
Office desk.png
Office desk.png (393.31 KiB) Viewed 5682 times

Some signs for the station have been unearthed in cluttered corners of the workshop. I feel the fish adds something.
Signs.png
Signs.png (313.45 KiB) Viewed 5682 times

An old notice board with peeling timetable was discovered.
Timetable.png
Timetable.png (334.29 KiB) Viewed 5682 times
And finally detail of the Edmondson ticket rack from the window again
Booking detail.png
Booking detail.png (474.92 KiB) Viewed 5682 times
There is still lots to do to the station building but I'll try to get some outside shots soon.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:20 pm

Very glad to hear that your health improves Andy, more wonderful detail. Hope the thought of working again doesn't stop the creative juices flowing.
Grant.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:44 am

Glad to hear your health is improving Andy, love you detailing of the ticket machine, in fact love all of it. You are a very talented guy. :thumbright: :thumbright:

Take it from me Andy, don’t push yourself to hard at work, if you don’t feel good, tell someone...I didn’t and I ended up with a double bypass....

RylstonLight
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RylstonLight » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:33 pm

Thanks for encouragement about rehab to work.

As promised some outside shots of Rylston Station building mocked up on a board. Very much work in progress but I have temporarily dressed it up with accessories to assess its potential. The signs are easy as they are fixed by magnets embedded in the JigStone castings. The idea is to allow different signs when running in different eras. The cat is also fixed this way. Lots to do with barge boards, gutters and ridge tiles etc. Then the new RLR needs to be built for it to go on.

Overall view from platform side:
Rylston platform in development.png
Rylston platform in development.png (377.5 KiB) Viewed 5622 times

A closer view:
Awning in development.png
Awning in development.png (392.47 KiB) Viewed 5622 times

The platform view of the arched passage with ticket window to right:
Arch.png
Arch.png (420.37 KiB) Viewed 5622 times

The town view of the station:
Rylston town side in development.png
Rylston town side in development.png (446.24 KiB) Viewed 5622 times

Closer view of town side of arch, with a warm welcome evident!:
Welcome.png
Welcome.png (455.62 KiB) Viewed 5622 times

The railway will remain closed until I can re-arrange some landscaping to accomodate a new version of the RLR. As the time approaches I will share the plans and the philosophy that generated them. The basic idea is to have a more compact circular layout with more thought to scenic vistas that lend themselves to watching trains go by and photographing them. I am also planning a novel way of a (relatively) quick build of raised track bed, which I'll share when I am confident it will work.

But for it to be a quick build in situ I need to build up my stock of plants and buildings first.

Andy S

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:02 pm

Brilliant Andy :thumbright: :thumbright:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:27 pm

Outstanding.... just wonderful attention to getting everything looking in scale and in the right place. The colouring is perfect too.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:32 pm

Brilliant!! In all respects.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:51 pm

some ace pictures and a beautifully built station very realistic looking

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:36 pm

Hi Andy,

More superb detail in some wonderful models. I had to look twice at more than one photo to be absolutely sure it was 16mm scale not 12" to the foot! :thumbright:
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:54 am

As has been said, a beautiful looking building. The stone paint work is brilliant. I do envy you guys with your stone station buildings. Looking forward to hear and see your RLR philosophies come to fruition.
Grant.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:49 am

Your station is a work of art. Really evocative of a type :thumbup:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:16 pm

What a beautiful station building. Full of character. :thumbup: :thumbup:

RylstonLight
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RylstonLight » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:58 am

Thanks for all the positive comments. In response to some tof the comments. The design of the building is adapted from LNWR Conwy Valley Line at Roman Bridge. It was adapted for the geometry of JigStones and had the booking office arch added. In addition it is a mirror image to fit in better with the planned RLR mark2.

There were a couple of positive comments about painting, but in fact it hasn't been painted. I have been experimenting with imprinted concrete techniques, and have some graphite coloured release agent. This is available as samples from imprinted concrete suppliers and I havn't yet used the bag supplied. A light dusing into the JigStone mould, trying to vary the amount for each cast, and then casting with car repair resin from Halfords resulted in the "paint job" commented on. I hope that this is at least as resilient to the Yorkshire weather as paint.

The imprinted concrete experiments are with view to the new RLR trackbed. More will be revealed later. However the use of coloured concrete has for buildings has had mixed experimental success with the concrete crumbling after 2y. I rather the additonal cost of the resin for JigStone buildings, than a constant rebuild programme.

Andy

RylstonLight
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RylstonLight » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:17 pm

I seem to have a butterfly approach to modelling and so the last two days has seen no more progress on the station building, but this is why:
Cast iron skew underbridge.png
Cast iron skew underbridge.png (384.69 KiB) Viewed 6460 times

I have been constructing a cast-iron (style) skew underbridge for the Rylston Station approach over the last two days. The starting point were two cast resin bridge sides (no other components) that I picked up from a stall at the 2017 Elsecar show. They were really cheap; I cannot remember clearly the stall or price (put it down to "chemo-brain"), but possibly Classic Cinema from Cleethorpes and possibly Β£9 each side. If anyone knows otherwise please correct me.

However I decided to add some further depth with styrene half-round rods, some styrene scrap and left-over Slaters styrene numbers. The white (and black) areas are added styrene but the cream is the original resin casting bought:
Cast iron sides unpainted.png
Cast iron sides unpainted.png (301.6 KiB) Viewed 6460 times

The underbridge detail is a mixture of a cast of the lower half of the bought-in side (using a reusable mould material) and styrene off-cuts for the lateral bracing. The detail is not great (lots of casting defects) but I reckon it only needs to be low-fidelity under the bridge as it will be dark and shaded so won't be seen in too much detail.

A more general view:
Cast iron skew underbridge 2.png
Cast iron skew underbridge 2.png (308.13 KiB) Viewed 6460 times

I feel that one-and-a-half days work and under Β£20 for the bough-in castings have resulted in a passible skew-bridge. Of course stock materials add to the cost.

Andy

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:02 pm

A bargain buy there, very attractive and useful and appropriate addition to your railway design.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?