My Winter Project - 2 Car Multiple Unit

What is your latest project?
James from Devon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

My Winter Project - 2 Car Multiple Unit

Post by James from Devon » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:13 pm

OK, so I need a project to inspire me over the winter and I will try to keep this build page updated.

As I have spent the year working with new materials; 3D printing, resin, plasticard etc. I thought I'd have a go at laser cutting. I am not intending to buy a laser cutter any time soon, they are super expensive but I found a factory in Paris that can make and ship to the UK at very low cost so I made my designs on Adobe Illustrator and sent to the factory. The parts arrived 4 days later!

I always wanted a railcar / DMU but a 2 car one, nothing out there seemed to be ideal for my line so I set about designing one for myself. It's another "could have been" type design and will be RC with sound once it's all finished. I am making it quite chunky, about the same profile as a Ragleth / Edrig.

Here are the first few pics, hope you like them:

:)

Garden railways don't run on steam or electric rather wine and Jedi master level patience

LNR
Driver
Driver

Re: My Winter Project - 2 Car Multiple Unit

Post by LNR » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:55 pm

3D printing and Laser cutting are sure changing the face of modelling. Looking good James.
Grant.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:57 pm

Hi Jim,

Very nice indeed. I'm looking forward to seeing this develop. Please keep us updated as and when you get chance.

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:27 pm

Very nice, slab sides and louvres.
It has a certain Southern Railway DMU look about it.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:54 am

Yes Jim- totally agree - it actually reminds me of the DEMU 'Thumpers' that operated in my part of the country on 3rd rail and standard routes (using a diesel engine) - much like the Class 73's
Where did I put that uncoupler?

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:56 am

And sorry James - as usual, quality work!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:00 pm

Brilliant start made already! There's a workshop in Chester where you can use their laser cutter - you're tempting me....

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:03 pm

All these James and Jims, that might cause confusion. Anyone else remember Monty Python's 'Bruces' sketch?

The more I look at this build, the more I like it. It has plenty of potential to be lengthened and is nice a simple, functional design.

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:09 pm

Big Jim wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:03 pm All these James and Jims, that might cause confusion. Anyone else remember Monty Python's 'Bruces' sketch?
Yes I do - I once worked in a team of 4 and 3 of us were Marks - we ended up just referring to each other using our surnames which did get odd looks when we had visitors!

steamer68
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by steamer68 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:29 pm

A lovely start to your winter project Jim will be watching with interest.
Regards
Kevin

Maple
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Maple » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:42 pm

Looks really good, i think it would look excellent wondering around a garden line. Are you doing 3d printed details?

have you got a link to said website? would be interesting to look
'Professional Bodge artist '

listerboy
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by listerboy » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:23 pm

Maple wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:42 pm Looks really good, i think it would look excellent wondering around a garden line. Are you doing 3d printed details?

Seconded, and do they speak English?

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:29 am

Just speak S-L-O-W-LY and LOUDLY and they will cotton on - or at least that has always been the Anglophone approach. The same approach is used when anyone from God's Own County addresses someone from Darn Sarf!

Like the 2-car DMU idea!

Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

James from Devon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by James from Devon » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:01 pm

LNR wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:55 pm 3D printing and Laser cutting are sure changing the face of modelling. Looking good James.
Grant.
Thanks Grant - Other than hours and hours on a milling machine (which you would have to buy) I can''t even think how I could get accurate cuts out like this. Modern technology! - Loving it! :)
Maple wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:42 pm Looks really good, i think it would look excellent wondering around a garden line. Are you doing 3d printed details?

Thank you! Yes, there will be a blend of brass, wood, resin and 3D printing when all is said and done. Here is the website - it's in English... https://www.sculpteo.com/en/
steamer68 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:29 pm A lovely start to your winter project Jim will be watching with interest.
Cheers Steamer :)
Big Jim wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:03 pm All these James and Jims, that might cause confusion. Anyone else remember Monty Python's 'Bruces' sketch?

The more I look at this build, the more I like it. It has plenty of potential to be lengthened and is nice a simple, functional design.
Thanks (other) Jim! I had a colleague at work, also Jim...we became know as Big Jim and Little Jim at first....progressing to Older Jim and Younger Jim as the years passed! :)
ge_rik wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:00 pm Brilliant start made already! There's a workshop in Chester where you can use their laser cutter - you're tempting me....

Rik
Cheers Rik...go on.....get some stuff laser cut... you KNOW you want to :)
markoteal wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:54 am Yes Jim- totally agree - it actually reminds me of the DEMU 'Thumpers' that operated in my part of the country on 3rd rail and standard routes (using a diesel engine) - much like the Class 73's
Cheers Mark. It does have a class 205 feel about it. I don't like the carriages with a radiator glued to the front so the panelled section is to hide the motor and electronics and give a realistic feel to it. It may all go horribly wrong ...time will tell. :)
markoteal wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:56 am
And sorry James - as usual, quality work!
No apology needed....thank you :)
Big Jim wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:27 pm Very nice, slab sides and louvres.
It has a certain Southern Railway DMU look about it.
More by luck than judgement but I have a soft spot for the slam door stock in Kent from the time I lived there...maybe they were more in my subconscious when I designed it than I realised!
Soar Valley Light wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:57 pm Hi Jim,

Very nice indeed. I'm looking forward to seeing this develop. Please keep us updated as and when you get chance.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew and I'll do my best :)
Garden railways don't run on steam or electric rather wine and Jedi master level patience

James from Devon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by James from Devon » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:15 pm

Thanks for all the comments guys, you are always too kind to me!

Here is this weekends update. Really cold outside so I am very glad to have a project in the workshop!

Rear plate on the louvres:

Making a start on the power bogie. I (eventually) managed to drill and pin the wheels and gears to the axles to prevent them slipping. Went through a few 1mm drills before I found the knack!

The power bogie coming together. The metal gears and motor came from Swift Sixteen but I wanted to have a go at making the rest of the bogie. It works well and just needs the axles shortening, sides making and obviously a paint.

Bogies fitted temporarily so that I can check measurements:

Floor and seats started:

A little front end details and holes drilled for headlight and destination board light:

The second car body assembled:

So that's about it for now, I will add an update next week if I get any more done.

Happy steaming fella's!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:28 pm

markoteal wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:09 pm
Yes I do - I once worked in a team of 4 and 3 of us were Marks - we ended up just referring to each other using our surnames which did get odd looks when we had visitors!
During the final years of my schooling I was in a form along with another Peter Butler.... what are the chances of that?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:55 pm

That is one classy build Jim/John/James. Following with interest...

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:18 pm

This is defiantly coming on leaps and bounds. It must be the season of the railbus.

This is looking great, I think the bogie design is top notch.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:27 pm

It's certainly taking shape Jim. I love the motor bogie, a very workmanlike piece of construction. The whole thing is starting to appear now from the stack of components and we are starting to get a sense of its character.

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

James from Devon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by James from Devon » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:38 pm

Thanks for all the comments people!

Here is this week's update.... it's coming on faster than I expected.

RC and Sound kit will be ordered this week ready for fitting. I'm concentrating on the powered end of the multiple unit for now, the trailer car hasn't been touched this week.

Buffer beams and skirts going in:

Mahogany strips for the sides above and below the windows being carefully cut out around the doors:

Battery compartments and conduit tubes fitted:

Underfloor view of the cable conduits for power and lighitng:

The next images show bogie sides being made. I wasn't looking forward to making 8 of these so I made 1 and then made a silicone mould for resin casting of the set. The springs were hard but I came up with a method of winding solder around a silver steel bar. There can't be gaps in the spring or the mould wont work which rules out a normal spring:

Completed trailing bogie ( paint not quite dry in the pic)

Painting started, the sides will need 3/4 coats and rubbing down in between:

Thanks for looking and I hope you enjoy the updates.

Cheers

J