Newqidas on the Block

What is your latest project?
Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Re: Newqidas on the Block

Post by Lonsdaler » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:59 am

IanC wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:24 pm
Lonsdaler wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:34 pm Very nice Ian. I'm tempted by these, but I think I should build the four IP 4 wheelers I have in the cupboard instead! :thumbup:
Thank you Phil. Funnily enough these got done before my two IP four wheelers, even though I got the four wheelers first. I have to tweak one of them a little as it rocks abit when test run, either because the wooden solebars have twisted or my poor workmanship.

My plan was to have two rakes of coaches. One for larger lines, which are these Newqidas, and a rake of four wheelers for small railways. The rake of four wheelers will be my next project. I will probably sell the IP coaches as they are no longer in production and I can't get any more to match them. Still considering which ones to go for. Swift Sixteen are favourites at the moment.

Ian
The one IP 4 wheeler I have completed was also prone to rocking, and derailing on any track with imperfections in levels ( subsidence, uneven camber - not on my line, obviously :roll: ).
I cured this by removing one of the solebars and refixing it 'hinged' in the middle along its length (a pivot point, if you will) and then trimming a little from the top edge at each end. With the axleboxes fixed to the solebars, this allows it to compensate for uneven track, and it has run well since. It wasn't my idea, but I can't remember where I got the idea from :scratch:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:23 pm

Lovely stuff IanC! I remember when you'd finished the first and showed it off, elsewhere :)

I'm currently working on a fifth one, in full Great Western express livery - after two years of promising myself I'd do it, I finally bought a coach, wheels, vents etc at Pboro 2018 and dug out all my surplus transfers.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:17 pm

dougrail wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:23 pm Lovely stuff IanC! I remember when you'd finished the first and showed it off, elsewhere :)

I'm currently working on a fifth one, in full Great Western express livery - after two years of promising myself I'd do it, I finally bought a coach, wheels, vents etc at Pboro 2018 and dug out all my surplus transfers.
Thank you Doug.

I showed the first one on here and the other forum. It was your conversions that convinced me to bite the bullet. I haven't yet managed a picture of the full rake of 4. I was contemplating a fifth and converting it to a buffet car. Wheels and vents already in stock. I'm in need of some small coaches first. I might buy one and put it away for later. I'm torn between the swift sixteen coaches and the Timpdon ones.

Ian
Ian

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:27 am

IanC wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:17 pm
dougrail wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:23 pm Lovely stuff IanC! I remember when you'd finished the first and showed it off, elsewhere :)

Thank you Doug.

I showed the first one on here and the other forum. It was your conversions that convinced me to bite the bullet. I haven't yet managed a picture of the full rake of 4. I was contemplating a fifth and converting it to a buffet car. Wheels and vents already in stock. I'm in need of some small coaches first. I might buy one and put it away for later. I'm torn between the swift sixteen coaches and the Timpdon ones.

Ian
Looking forward to seeing the full rake of four, they always make am impressive sight behind the right engines. Yours suit your LA, but in terms of height, I notice they more match the taller [oversized?!] Accucraft locos? As for a fifth - mine is now underway, painting willing. If you already have the fifth Newqida coach, I'd suggest doing it first and get it out the way? :) Which SW16 coaches were you looking at by the way?

Doug

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:56 pm

I haven't yet bought a fifth Newqida coach. I do have an accucraft loco which is taller than the Lady Anne. I like my coaches and wagons to be similarly proportioned to my locos. For that reason I've discounted a lot of coaches as being either too short or too narrow. The swift sixteen coaches I'm contemplating are the Classic standard 4 wheel coaches. I think they'll suit painting in Indian red and lined out in yellow or gold, similar to Midland Railway coaches but only a single line. Nothing too fancy. I will be checking them out in person when I get to a show they're attending. Llanfair probably.

Ian
Ian

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:20 pm

The Newqidas have been reallocated to the Skebawn and Castleknox and will slowly appear in late 1950s CIE Green. Several of the Cavan and Leitrim's coaches - the ones that had been rebodied at Inchicore using stuff plundered from Broadstone bus depot's scrap pile, ended up in dark green, I am just stretching the point a couple more years. The S&C's story has developed a new twist in that it somehow managed to justify its existence sufficiently to CIE that like the West Clare, it was re-equipped in the 1950s, and partly dieselized, and then soldiered on until its standard gauge connection was closed in the late 1960s, or early 1970s. :D

The outdoor line is developing into a 2' gauge line with some fairly obvious Lincolnshire Coast Light Railway (Humberston) antecedents. However, the weather is not giving me any breaks at all. We have been subjected to precipitation with great regularity so that when it does finally stop siling down one has to deal with rampant vegetation, and the basement is damp enough that I don't want to hang around down there for fear of what might be growing!

Cheers for now,

Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:00 pm

IrishPeter wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:20 pm The Newqidas have been reallocated to the Skebawn and Castleknox and will slowly appear in late 1950s CIE Green. Several of the Cavan and Leitrim's coaches - the ones that had been rebodied at Inchicore using stuff plundered from Broadstone bus depot's scrap pile, ended up in dark green, I am just stretching the point a couple more years. The S&C's story has developed a new twist in that it somehow managed to justify its existence sufficiently to CIE that like the West Clare, it was re-equipped in the 1950s, and partly dieselized, and then soldiered on until its standard gauge connection was closed in the late 1960s, or early 1970s. :D

The outdoor line is developing into a 2' gauge line with some fairly obvious Lincolnshire Coast Light Railway (Humberston) antecedents. However, the weather is not giving me any breaks at all. We have been subjected to precipitation with great regularity so that when it does finally stop siling down one has to deal with rampant vegetation, and the basement is damp enough that I don't want to hang around down there for fear of what might be growing!

Cheers for now,

Peter in Va
Any pictures Peter?

Ian
Ian

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:57 am

Ian,

Photos will be along when I have the opportunity to get something done. I have just bailed out my workspace down in the basement as there was standing water in there. If this summer continues in this vein I may have to fit it with a bilge pump! I have been hung up for the last month waiting for the weather to cooperate. It has been either too hot or too wet!

Cheers,

Peter in Va.
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:55 am

Sorry to hear of your basement struggles and the weather Peter. No rush for the pictures.

I hope your circumstances improve soon.

Ian
Ian

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:00 am

I have probably just cursed myself saying this, but it is looking promising. By the looks of it we have three dry days coming up, then a day of light rain, then four more officially dry days. Of course, there is an outside chance of a thunderstorm all the way through, but this is better than we have had since July 7th or thereabouts. Gardening may actually get beyond civilising the grass, so that I can get some preliminary clearance work done on the site of the outdoor line. That does not do much for the NQ stock, but at least it is some sort of progress.

Peter in Va

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:55 am

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

I have all manner of things which get in the way of making progress. My latest one being broken drill bits. I was adding rivets to a scratch built wagon and was almost half way through drilling all the holes for the rivets when I broke my last 0.65mm drill bit. Just waiting on postie now but the delivery schudule says 5 days to wait for the replacements!

My progress will now be attending to a coach which wobbles and perhaps a test steaming of my latest locomotive (on blocks as I don't have a railway).

Ian
Ian

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:51 pm

IrishPeter wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:20 pm The Newqidas have been reallocated to the Skebawn and Castleknox and will slowly appear in late 1950s CIE Green. Several of the Cavan and Leitrim's coaches - the ones that had been rebodied at Inchicore using stuff plundered from Broadstone bus depot's scrap pile, ended up in dark green, I am just stretching the point a couple more years. The S&C's story has developed a new twist in that it somehow managed to justify its existence sufficiently to CIE that like the West Clare, it was re-equipped in the 1950s, and partly dieselized, and then soldiered on until its standard gauge connection was closed in the late 1960s, or early 1970s. :D
Sounds good to me, I like a nice "what if?"

My knowledge of the Irish lines is pretty minimal, but your plan got me thinking of some photos I'd seen, and a little Googling revealed I was thinking of the Cavan and Leitrim. No clerestory of course, but at a glance I reckon a NQ in the right livery could pass as one of these, particularly if you add a strip or two of beading:

Sorry, couldn't find a bigger photo...

Good luck with everything,

Andrew.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:12 pm

Andrew wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:51 pm
Sounds good to me, I like a nice "what if?"

My knowledge of the Irish lines is pretty minimal, but your plan got me thinking of some photos I'd seen, and a little Googling revealed I was thinking of the Cavan and Leitrim. No clerestory of course, but at a glance I reckon a NQ in the right livery could pass as one of these, particularly if you add a strip or two of beading:

Good luck with everything,

Andrew.
:thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:
Ian

Gralyn
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Gralyn » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:28 pm

Reading this thread has inspired me to get my Newqida coach out of the loft ( where it has been for 3 years)
and give it a run behind my Roundhouse Stanley Tram Engine.

Looks the part don't you think?.
20180807_143436 (640x384).jpg
20180807_143436 (640x384).jpg (189.13 KiB) Viewed 6334 times
20180807_143425 (640x384).jpg
20180807_143425 (640x384).jpg (204.59 KiB) Viewed 6334 times
Regards Graham.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:30 pm

That works well behind the tram. It looks like a larger version of Henrietta from the Thomas the Tank Engine series.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:44 pm

The perfect couple.
Ian

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:52 pm

Gralyn - repaint it, make it more Anglican and it would be perfect. :)

Use number three hundred and twenty six for these Newquidas...

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:47 pm

I would have thought if it was going to be more Anglican '39' would have been a better running number. ;)

One thing I always have to remember about converting stuff to look Irish is that I always have to remember it is Ireland. Things look British, but are subtly different, especially in later GSR and CIE days, and the narrow gauge tramways often had a slightly colonial look. With the NQ stock the question I am having to ask is what would Bredin or Bulleid have done to rebuild a 3' gauge carriage?

It also means tackling those blasted greens - the 1945 dark green; the 1956 medium green, and the "Nile Water" (Eau de Nil) used for lettering and lining. The earlier dark green seems to have been some sort of Brunswick Green - the old Humbrol 3 was pretty close, which was uniform when it came out of the paint shop, but after that the weather worked it into the infamous forty shades! The medium green looks a lot like the Isle of Man loco green of my childhood which was a little darker/cooler than the LNER apple green, but other than 'eye-balling it' I have no scientific way of dealing with it.

They may end up 1960s "Black and Tan" out of spite!

Peter in Va

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:31 am

Progress of a sort - at the wife's instigation we bought a wet-dry shop vac to speed up the process of mopping out the basement. I don't get much water in there - usually about 10 gallons spread over 500 square ft., but it is miserable to try and mop it up. The shop vac seems to seems to have halved the amount of time it takes, and get far more of the wet stuff up than the old mop and bucket method.

FWIW, one of the surviving Cavan and Leitrim carriages was rebuilt in 1959 to go to the West Clare. The fourteen windows were reduced to something like seven, and the clerestory was boarded and felted over. It ran in that form for a year before the WCR closed.

Cheers,
Peter in Va

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:10 am

IrishPeter wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:47 pm I would have thought if it was going to be more Anglican '39' would have been a better running number. ;) .......
Peter in Va
Now that was subtle. I had to look it up - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirty-nine_Articles :lol:
I suspect only Big Jim would have immediately got that one .... or am I maligning the ecclesiastical knowledge of my fellow forumites :?

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube