Newqidas on the Block

What is your latest project?
invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Newqidas on the Block

Post by invicta280 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:14 am

Thanks Ian. That's very helpful. They are quite large, or should I say well proportioned to match 16mm scale locos. Yes, I'm tempted, especially as they are
reasonably priced.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:21 pm

My rake of Newqida's is complete. Well that's what I thought. After a test run and looking at the pictures I think the sides need a logo or crest, and the brake needs a lamp bracket.
DSC08242.JPG
DSC08242.JPG (247.49 KiB) Viewed 6288 times
Ian
Ian

Gralyn
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Gralyn » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:44 am

Still smart looking coaches.
Regards Graham.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:44 am

Gralyn wrote: ↑Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:44 am Still smart looking coaches.
Thank you Graham.

I'm pleased with them so far. They do run very well. The bogie side frames are pivoted so they have a form of compensation.

Ian
Ian

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:10 pm

Those look great, you've achieved a really good finish... Lovely livery too.

I've vaguely considered a couple to keep available in the storage area under the house as a sort of knockabout, ready-to-run-at-short-notice passenger train, but I think they'd dwarf all the other stock I own...

All the best,

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:12 pm

I knew they reminded me of something...

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:32 pm

I think they look very handsome with or without a crest.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:31 pm

Just back out of hospital and catching up. Those look mighty good Ian.

Where are you running them, looks like Southport Model Engineering Club on Rotten Row.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:17 pm

They do like nice, respray Lady Anne black and paint the wheels red? :D

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:34 pm

Very nice Ian. I'm tempted by these, but I think I should build the four IP 4 wheelers I have in the cupboard instead! :thumbup:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:12 pm

Andrew wrote: ↑Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:10 pm Those look great, you've achieved a really good finish... Lovely livery too.

I've vaguely considered a couple to keep available in the storage area under the house as a sort of knockabout, ready-to-run-at-short-notice passenger train, but I think they'd dwarf all the other stock I own...

All the best,

Andrew.
Thank you Andrew, They are on the large size. That's a great picture and it is a remarkable similarity. I played around in photoshop with different colours and styles before settling on this. Mainly as it goes with most loco liveries.

Ian
Ian

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:14 pm

invicta280 wrote: ↑Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:32 pm I think they look very handsome with or without a crest.
Thank you Invicta. If they do get some sort of crest or logo it will be a while yet. I've got other projects on the go and these are good enough to run as they are at the moment.

Ian
Ian

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:16 pm

bazzer42 wrote: ↑Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:17 pm They do like nice, respray Lady Anne black and paint the wheels red? :D
:lol: Thank you Bazzer. I do fancy a black loco, but not with red wheels. Lol. My next loco will be green I think.

Ian
Ian

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:18 pm

FWLR wrote: ↑Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:31 pm Just back out of hospital and catching up. Those look mighty good Ian.

Where are you running them, looks like Southport Model Engineering Club on Rotten Row.
Hello Rod,

Glad to hear you're ok. Thanks for the compliment. You clearly know your railways. It is Southport Model Engineering Club. Look forward to catching up soon.

Ian
Ian

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:24 pm

Lonsdaler wrote: ↑Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:34 pm Very nice Ian. I'm tempted by these, but I think I should build the four IP 4 wheelers I have in the cupboard instead! :thumbup:
Thank you Phil. Funnily enough these got done before my two IP four wheelers, even though I got the four wheelers first. I have to tweak one of them a little as it rocks abit when test run, either because the wooden solebars have twisted or my poor workmanship.

My plan was to have two rakes of coaches. One for larger lines, which are these Newqidas, and a rake of four wheelers for small railways. The rake of four wheelers will be my next project. I will probably sell the IP coaches as they are no longer in production and I can't get any more to match them. Still considering which ones to go for. Swift Sixteen are favourites at the moment.

Ian
Ian

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:59 am

IanC wrote: ↑Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:24 pm
Lonsdaler wrote: ↑Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:34 pm Very nice Ian. I'm tempted by these, but I think I should build the four IP 4 wheelers I have in the cupboard instead! :thumbup:
Thank you Phil. Funnily enough these got done before my two IP four wheelers, even though I got the four wheelers first. I have to tweak one of them a little as it rocks abit when test run, either because the wooden solebars have twisted or my poor workmanship.

My plan was to have two rakes of coaches. One for larger lines, which are these Newqidas, and a rake of four wheelers for small railways. The rake of four wheelers will be my next project. I will probably sell the IP coaches as they are no longer in production and I can't get any more to match them. Still considering which ones to go for. Swift Sixteen are favourites at the moment.

Ian
The one IP 4 wheeler I have completed was also prone to rocking, and derailing on any track with imperfections in levels ( subsidence, uneven camber - not on my line, obviously :roll: ).
I cured this by removing one of the solebars and refixing it 'hinged' in the middle along its length (a pivot point, if you will) and then trimming a little from the top edge at each end. With the axleboxes fixed to the solebars, this allows it to compensate for uneven track, and it has run well since. It wasn't my idea, but I can't remember where I got the idea from :scratch:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:23 pm

Lovely stuff IanC! I remember when you'd finished the first and showed it off, elsewhere :)

I'm currently working on a fifth one, in full Great Western express livery - after two years of promising myself I'd do it, I finally bought a coach, wheels, vents etc at Pboro 2018 and dug out all my surplus transfers.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:17 pm

dougrail wrote: ↑Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:23 pm Lovely stuff IanC! I remember when you'd finished the first and showed it off, elsewhere :)

I'm currently working on a fifth one, in full Great Western express livery - after two years of promising myself I'd do it, I finally bought a coach, wheels, vents etc at Pboro 2018 and dug out all my surplus transfers.
Thank you Doug.

I showed the first one on here and the other forum. It was your conversions that convinced me to bite the bullet. I haven't yet managed a picture of the full rake of 4. I was contemplating a fifth and converting it to a buffet car. Wheels and vents already in stock. I'm in need of some small coaches first. I might buy one and put it away for later. I'm torn between the swift sixteen coaches and the Timpdon ones.

Ian
Ian

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:27 am

IanC wrote: ↑Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:17 pm
dougrail wrote: ↑Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:23 pm Lovely stuff IanC! I remember when you'd finished the first and showed it off, elsewhere :)

Thank you Doug.

I showed the first one on here and the other forum. It was your conversions that convinced me to bite the bullet. I haven't yet managed a picture of the full rake of 4. I was contemplating a fifth and converting it to a buffet car. Wheels and vents already in stock. I'm in need of some small coaches first. I might buy one and put it away for later. I'm torn between the swift sixteen coaches and the Timpdon ones.

Ian
Looking forward to seeing the full rake of four, they always make am impressive sight behind the right engines. Yours suit your LA, but in terms of height, I notice they more match the taller [oversized?!] Accucraft locos? As for a fifth - mine is now underway, painting willing. If you already have the fifth Newqida coach, I'd suggest doing it first and get it out the way? :) Which SW16 coaches were you looking at by the way?

Doug

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:56 pm

I haven't yet bought a fifth Newqida coach. I do have an accucraft loco which is taller than the Lady Anne. I like my coaches and wagons to be similarly proportioned to my locos. For that reason I've discounted a lot of coaches as being either too short or too narrow. The swift sixteen coaches I'm contemplating are the Classic standard 4 wheel coaches. I think they'll suit painting in Indian red and lined out in yellow or gold, similar to Midland Railway coaches but only a single line. Nothing too fancy. I will be checking them out in person when I get to a show they're attending. Llanfair probably.

Ian
Ian