Otto bash

What is your latest project?
tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Re: Otto bash

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:17 pm

I am not worthy to view your Plastikard skills Rik, great job all the same!

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:29 pm

"Every day, in every way, it's getting better and better"
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:33 am

Great modelling Rik, hope to achieve some modicum of skill such has your’s... :thumbup:

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:11 am

And so to Green - as others have said, very impressive!
Where did I put that uncoupler?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:45 pm

Thanks folks

I did a quick test run yesterday and I must admit, she does look good chuffing through the foliage.
I've been out all day for a walk in the Peak District (the Roaches) so no chance yet to make a start on the titivations. I'll keep you posted as to developments. I know from past experience that it's a bit like housebuilding - the finishing touches can take as long as the major engineering which preceded it.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:00 pm

She looks reet grand! I know what you mean about the titivating part of the process. It always takes me about four times as long to fit all the various bits and pieces to my carriages as it does to make the basic body. The motivation to make forwards progress declines significantly once I have something that runs.

Cheers,
Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:36 pm

IrishPeter wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:00 pm The motivation to make forwards progress declines significantly once I have something that runs.
I think I have the same mentality!

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:12 pm

Splendid looking job Rik. I have a very soft spot for English 3ft gauge stuff. The extent of some of the systems was considerable and sadly not very well remembered.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:15 pm

Big Jim wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:12 pm I have a very soft spot for English 3ft gauge stuff. The extent of some of the systems was considerable and sadly not very well remembered.
I agree Jim. Three foot gauge systems seem to me to have been very workmanlike - though the Southwold and the the Rye & Camber (and to some extent the original Ravenglass & Eskdale) were a bit more whimsical - maybe it's because they were seaside railways.......

I have a soft spot for the Southwold and am delighted that the SR Trust has now, at long last, somewhere to run trains - albeit to a limited extent (for now....). They're talking now of making a replica Cleminson Moy open wagon.

Happy days

Rik
PS - See you on Saturday all being well.
------------------------

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:11 am

I'm very late to this thread Rik, and have been playing catch up on the forum this week, having spent a fortnight in the Midlands working on my daughter's house, so all I can do is echo what everyone else has said - a brilliant piece of kitbashing/remodelling. I used to make model boats, and was more drawn to the detailing side of things, and scrounging odd items for detail parts becomes a bit of a hobby! Sadly, the easy access to digital photography wasn't around then, so all my photo's tended to be generic shots of the completed models.
Your solution to the sound problem is ingenious - but as the firebox door is open, can you find room for a flicker effect red LED? :lol:
Brilliant job
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:04 pm

ge_rik wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:57 am I'd like to use a wheel cam but not yet found a way to mount one on/in a ToyTrain block.
Meant to answer this earlier....... The photo of an Otto chassis you posted reminded me.... :roll:

You may already know all this, but just in case you don't, here it is. In HO the 'cam' is often a disc on the back of a driving wheel. Soundtraxx sell a pack of them for their DCC sound decoders that are etched on very thin printed circuit board.

image.jpg
image.jpg (8.63 KiB) Viewed 4424 times

This shows one fitted to a wheel set. It takes some care to fit, as the wheel has to be removed from the axle and if the axle isn't splined, it is easy to screw up the quartering when reassembling.

image.jpg
image.jpg (82.86 KiB) Viewed 4424 times

The biggest available cams in HO are only 20mm or so in diameter, but it should give you the idea. For your application, you'd need two wipers, one from the sound board cam connection and one to the common return.

There should be enough space between the wheel and the frame on an Otto to make a cam to fit. Cut a disc of shim metal, preferably phos bronze, and glue it to the back of the wheel. The insulation between the contact areas could be made by cutting segments of self adhesive plastic (the stuff used on school books), or possibly a a better solution is to use clear nail varnish to paint the insulating segments on the metal. The wipers would be best made out of phos bronze strip, rather than wire, as flat strip doesn't move around as much when the loco changes direction.

A friend working in HO makes his chuff 'cam' by applying areas of super glue to the back of one of the driving wheel tyres on the uninsulated side, but he only has one wiper to deal with, as the return is via the axle. One of his locos has the characteristic off beat exhaust of that loco class, as he was able to vary the chuff timing by painting different length insulated sections.

Regards,
Graeme

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:15 pm

Lonsdaler wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:11 am Your solution to the sound problem is ingenious - but as the firebox door is open, can you find room for a flicker effect red LED? :lol:
Yep - installed a couple of flickering yellow LEDs from those cheapo tea-lights. Might exchange one of them for a red. :sunny:

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:19 pm

GTB wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:04 pm A friend working in HO makes his chuff 'cam' by applying areas of super glue to the back of one of the driving wheel tyres on the uninsulated side, but he only has one wiper to deal with, as the return is via the axle. One of his locos has the characteristic off beat exhaust of that loco class, as he was able to vary the chuff timing by painting different length insulated sections.
Brilliant! Thanks Graeme. The Otto has carbon wipers on the back of each wheel - I'm sure I can re-install one of them and arrange some form of insulation around the rear of the wheel. Why didn't I think of that!!!???

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:36 pm

Part 12a (for the superstitious) - Final(?) detailing

Very nearly there......!!!
IMG_6434.JPG
IMG_6434.JPG (104.54 KiB) Viewed 4417 times

Most of the pipework has now been added. I've decided to omit some of the thinner oiling pipes which spider across the running board but quite pleased with the pipework around the safety valves and whistle. Slightly simplified from the original but looks OK.
IMG_6439.JPG
IMG_6439.JPG (84.52 KiB) Viewed 4417 times

As the cab interior is very much on view, I spent a while constructing the water level gauge from bits and pieces. It's slightly overscale, but I can live with that. The pressure gauge dial is a photo of a real gauge reduced in size.
IMG_6442.JPG
IMG_6442.JPG (100.34 KiB) Viewed 4417 times

Just given her a small test run and she seems to perform OK with all the gubbins on....
IMG_6448.JPG
IMG_6448.JPG (107.9 KiB) Viewed 4417 times

Just noticed that I need still need to install a brake standard and reversing lever in the cab. Slightly less space than on the real thing as the firebox is somewhat wider - but no doubt will find somewhere for them.
IMG_6449.JPG
IMG_6449.JPG (97.23 KiB) Viewed 4417 times

She needs a number on the bunker sides and buffer beams and I need to order some nameplates and makers plates from Narrow Planet - then give her a couple of final coats of varnish - then I think she'll be ready to roll!
IMG_6436.JPG
IMG_6436.JPG (112.05 KiB) Viewed 4417 times

Rik
------------------------

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:53 pm

Very pretty Rik, the loco that is.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:55 pm

Another triumph Rik. That's a really well proportioned and good looking engine. The detailing is very impressive and I love the livery. Worth every minute of the hours you've clearly put into it. I look froward to seeing clips of the PLRs latest motive power at work!
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:20 pm

Thanks chaps.
I think that'll do me for a while. Now got more locos than I envisaged when I planned the line. Mind you, I said that the last time, and the time before that!

Rik
------------------------

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:37 pm

You can never have enough locos.
I don't have a railway and I have dozens of the blighters.
Ever thought of a 16mm scale spot hire operation?
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:57 am

It is a lovely little locomotive, and really captures the feel of the original. Congratulations!

Jim - I have been lucky so far, but I am seriously think of building a battery electric tram loco for when I don't want to have to try too hard. My fear is that it might open the flood gates, and I really should be doing something a bit more useful - like building more Goods Wagons!

Peter in Va.
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:11 am

Great detailing - my fav is the water gauge - what did the glass section start life as? a square biro case?
Where did I put that uncoupler?