Otto bash

What is your latest project?
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Otto bash

Post by ge_rik » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:47 pm

Part 10 - Bits and bobs

I think she's now ready for the primer.......

The spectacle plate has now had its beading applied (1.8mm half-round brass wire) and rings around the spectacles themselves (2mm brass wire, soldered on and then filed flat). Of course, my 75W soldering iron decided to pack up and so had to do it with my 50W iron which made soldering on to the plate a bit more interesting ...... (a ten @$&#$£-it per minute job as opposed to the more usual five @$&#$£-it per minute job!)
IMG_6242.JPG
IMG_6242.JPG (78.15 KiB) Viewed 5311 times

The safety valve was cobbled together from some scraps of brass tube, a self-tapping screw and some brass shim - mounted on the inverted bottom of the old chimney. Not yet fixed into place as I want to paint it separately before installing it into place.
IMG_6244.JPG
IMG_6244.JPG (100 KiB) Viewed 5311 times

I've replaced the Otto chunky chimney with something a bit slimmer. Decided not to go for the cut-down chimney which No.3 has - which was a replacement to its earlier taller chimney. Mine owes its origins to a felt tip pen tube and some brass wire soldered to a strip of brass and filed into a collar. Will have to paint it brass colour as there's too much solder visible for it to be polished-up.
IMG_6225.JPG
IMG_6225.JPG (53.45 KiB) Viewed 5311 times

The tank filler is, as you'd expect, a bit of plastic pen barrel plus a few bits of plasticard, some Cambrian rivet heads and a small piece of brass rod. Hopefully will look more realistic once it's had a couple of coats of paint.
IMG_6223.JPG
IMG_6223.JPG (60.18 KiB) Viewed 5311 times

The firebox door has been hinged with a piece of brass rod, so I'll be able to adjust the volume of the sound card by opening and closing the door :D
IMG_6233.JPG
IMG_6233.JPG (105.42 KiB) Viewed 5311 times
IMG_6236.JPG
IMG_6236.JPG (88.13 KiB) Viewed 5311 times

She's now taking shape. I'll make the sandboxes and spray them separately, as they will be fixed to the running plate.
IMG_6239.JPG
IMG_6239.JPG (98.37 KiB) Viewed 5311 times

After a couple of coats of Halfords rattle can grey primer, I'll be able to do some rubbing down and probably a bit more filling, and a bit more rubbing down.
IMG_6231.JPG
IMG_6231.JPG (92.41 KiB) Viewed 5311 times

And then, should be able to apply a few more rivets.
IMG_6240.JPG
IMG_6240.JPG (95.58 KiB) Viewed 5311 times

Then she'll be ready for her final coat - before I start adding the final details like pipework etc.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:25 pm

Looking good. I do like that SV, would never guess it is bits and pieces.
Philip

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:36 pm

Don't forget the pictures of her in primer Rik :thumbup:

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:04 pm

Brilliant bits and bobs - just shows what you can fashion from stuff in the 'spare drawer' :)
Where did I put that uncoupler?

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:12 pm

Great progress Rick, I particularly like the half-round brass wire edging on the cab sheet, it gives a real impression of structural strength.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:18 am

She is looking superb Rik, your’e thinking out of the box for bits is impressive indeed. :thumbright: :thumbleft:

I have just said to my partner i want to have ago at that kind of kit bashing, but it won’t come out anything like your’s, but who care’s, only rivet counters i suppose.

I am wondering how do i keep your thread so i don’t lose it. Love the way you work by the way. :thumbup:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:37 am

FWLR wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:18 am She is looking superb Rik, your’e thinking out of the box for bits is impressive indeed. :thumbright: :thumbleft:

I have just said to my partner i want to have ago at that kind of kit bashing, but it won’t come out anything like your’s, but who care’s, only rivet counters i suppose.

I am wondering how do i keep your thread so i don’t lose it. Love the way you work by the way. :thumbup:
Hi Rod
When I finish the build, I'll write-up a more detailed blog post like the ones I linked to in an earlier post on this thread. My first efforts were very basic - this is my fifteenth loco build so I'm slowly getting better. I think one of the things I've learned is not to panic or give up when things go wrong. I don't tend to plan my builds very carefully and so, sometimes, I have to undo, redo and tidy-up some bits when they go wrong - like the spectacle plate on this build. Also, not documented here are my two failed attempts at making spectacle rings.

In my earlier builds, I've made more extensive use of GRS parts such as safety valves, domes, chimneys, spectale rings, smokebox doors and firebox backhead detailing. This saves having to make these fiddly bits and pieces yourself. http://www.grsuk.com/32-45mm-Narrow-Gauge-Part-C151000

You can always ask others for suggestions and advice on this forum. A very helpful bunch of chaps and chapesses on here.

Rik
------------------------

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:09 am

Thanks Rik, You certainly do know how to make things cheaply, which is part of any modelling really don’t you think. I do like the way you have your’e blog set up, very professional. :thumbright: :thumbleft:

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:08 am

Yes Rik's blog is a fantastic resource, I'm always having a browse - I also use blogger for my line 'website' - its free and fairly easy to use - you can find mine at www.chlrailway.blogspot.co.uk - its no where near as complete as Rik's but does give me somewhere to keep all my line info

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:55 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:36 pm Don't forget the pictures of her in primer Rik :thumbup:
Next job on the list Tom. Trying to decide if I've got enough Primer left in the can or whether I need another trip to Halfords
markoteal wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:04 pm Brilliant bits and bobs - just shows what you can fashion from stuff in the 'spare drawer' :)
philipy wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:25 pm Looking good. I do like that SV, would never guess it is bits and pieces.
Thanks chaps. As I said previously, I used to buy these bits and pieces from GRS, but now I tend to make them myself. It's fun trying to figure out how to make them. One of my greatest successes was, I think, using the domed end from a cheap set of castors (£1) as the basis for a smokebox door on this build - https://riksrailway.blogspot.co.uk/2014 ... 0-6-0.html
Peter Butler wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:12 pm Great progress Rick, I particularly like the half-round brass wire edging on the cab sheet, it gives a real impression of structural strength.
I was initially in two minds over doing this as it seemed a lot of work for a non-essential detail - but I'm now glad I did it. It does give the plate more structure. It's slightly over-engineered compared with the original, but I don't think it's a noticeable difference.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:02 pm

markoteal wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:08 am Yes Rik's blog is a fantastic resource, I'm always having a browse - I also use blogger for my line 'website' - its free and fairly easy to use - you can find mine at www.chlrailway.blogspot.co.uk - its no where near as complete as Rik's but does give me somewhere to keep all my line info
Great Blog, Mark. I like the way you've organised it using 'Pages'.
My blog's probably beginning to get a bit unwieldy, but there's too much in it now to be restructured. Like you, I started it as a place to lodge all the bits on information on how I did things - it's useful to go back over how I did something (eg like resin casting) as I sometimes forget some of the details. What attracted me to Blogger was it was free. They've extended the range of features since I started (eg having 'Pages') so it's now a lot more flexible than it was when I started my blog 10 years ago.

I've recently downloaded the whole of my blog and saved it on an external drive (just in case). Again, I used a freebie program to do it.

Rik
------------------------

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:08 pm

oooo - thats a good idea - which software did you use?

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:17 pm

FWLR wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:18 am I am wondering how do i keep your thread so i don’t lose it. Love the way you work by the way. :thumbup:
Go into your User Control Panel>Manage Bookmarks

You can access your UCP by left clicking or tapping if on mobile/tablet your username when you sign in (top-right)

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:16 pm

markoteal wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:08 pm oooo - thats a good idea - which software did you use?
HT Track website copier - https://www.httrack.com/
It was quite slow (on my computer) downloading my blog - 22 hours for 3Gb! But now I've got it, when I use HT again it will only add the new files.

Rik
------------------------

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:15 pm

ge_rik wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:16 pm
markoteal wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:08 pm oooo - thats a good idea - which software did you use?
HT Track website copier - https://www.httrack.com/
It was quite slow (on my computer) downloading my blog - 22 hours for 3Gb! But now I've got it, when I use HT again it will only add the new files.

Rik
Thanks Rik - I'll give it a look over

Cheers

M

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:13 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:17 pm
FWLR wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:18 am I am wondering how do i keep your thread so i don’t lose it. Love the way you work by the way. :thumbup:
Go into your User Control Panel>Manage Bookmarks

You can access your UCP by left clicking or tapping if on mobile/tablet your username when you sign in (top-right)
Thanks Tom, i had to go to the little spanner next to the reply box to bookmark the thread, i am getting to know how this fantastic forum works a little bit everyday. :thumbright: :thumbleft:

Killian Keane
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Killian Keane » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:15 pm

:shock: :thumbleft: a beautiful peice of work
Blokes with tea can build anything

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:22 pm

Part 11 - Works Grey
Well, she's getting closer to completion. A few shots of her in Works Grey.

A few more details have been added since the last set of photos - the stays on the front of the spectacle plate, a couple of sand boxes at the front, sandboxes incorporated into the bunkers, handrails and a few more rivets.
IMG_6318.JPG
IMG_6318.JPG (96.83 KiB) Viewed 5704 times

There's still a little bit more filling and sanding to be done in places. Close-up photos can be very revealing ....
IMG_6317.JPG
IMG_6317.JPG (103.83 KiB) Viewed 5704 times

The safety valve has still not been permanently fitted as it will be easier to paint off the model
IMG_6315.JPG
IMG_6315.JPG (82.37 KiB) Viewed 5704 times
And then, there's a fair amount of pipework which will have to be added once she's in her final livery.
IMG_6314.JPG
IMG_6314.JPG (86.27 KiB) Viewed 5704 times

So, not quite there yet, but well on the way ......
IMG_6303.JPG
IMG_6303.JPG (89.98 KiB) Viewed 5703 times

Rik
------------------------

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:50 pm

If only live steamers had that much detail, brilliant work Rik :thumbup:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:27 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:50 pm If only live steamers had that much detail, brilliant work Rik :thumbup:
I suppose it's a lot easier to add details to a largely plastic model than it is to a metal model which gets a bit hot. That's one of the reasons why I like modelling in plasticard.

Rik
------------------------