Revamping the stream

What is your latest project?
markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Revamping the stream

Post by markoteal » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:04 am

Great item Rik - I love the way you tell the story with words and pics - I always forget to take pics at each stage so leaving gaps in the story

Love the stream - with me running at 4 feet off the ground, the weight often wet stuff is always going to make doing anything meaningful with water on my line very hard work - I have recently been gifted a good length of blue water piping so I am thinking how I could get something including, maybe a waterfall behind and then under the line!

One for next year I think though
Where did I put that uncoupler?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:01 pm

markoteal wrote: ↑Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:04 am Love the stream - with me running at 4 feet off the ground, the weight often wet stuff is always going to make doing anything meaningful with water on my line very hard work - I have recently been gifted a good length of blue water piping so I am thinking how I could get something including, maybe a waterfall behind and then under the line!

One for next year I think though
That would be an interesting project. Be interested in seeing how it goes.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:32 am

Love your idea on the Water Mill Rik, where can i see a video of it please, i have been on you Blog, but i am not able to find one on it. :thumbright:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:18 am

FWLR wrote: ↑Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:32 am Love your idea on the Water Mill Rik, where can i see a video of it please, i have been on you Blog, but i am not able to find one on it. :thumbright:
Hi Rod
Do you mean a video of the model mill? I assume so as there is a link to the video of the mills I'm basing the model on in the thread.

I've not actually constructed the mill as yet but, by coincidence, I am literally in the process of constructing it at this very moment - in fact the tablet on which I'm writing this reply is resting on the sheet of pvc foamboard I'm marking up for the ends of the building.

Foamboard is a new venture for me. I'm using it for the first time for this project - partly inspired by FBGR's thread ( https://gardenrails.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10112 ) and also by the models on the In-ko-pah railroad (http://www.freerails.com/view_topic.php ... forum_id=6).

I decided to use foamboard after discovering that it would cost me over Β£50 to clad the shell of the building with brick embossed plasticard. It's a bit tedious impressing the brickwork into the foamboard, but very satisfying as the courses can be tailored to suit the structure of the building.

When I've finished the mill, I'll post a full description of its construction on my blog and an outline on the forum but, in the meantime, here's a shot of the first side of the building which I've so far completed.
rsz_20170914_144213.jpg
rsz_20170914_144213.jpg (115.45 KiB) Viewed 6470 times

Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:14 pm

Yes, it is very satisfying to worth with and your mill is looking good so far.

I've been meaning to ask for ages, roughly, how long is your stream, end to end? its difficult to get a handle on from the various videos, because it has so many different viewpoints.
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:57 pm

philipy wrote: ↑Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:14 pm Yes, it is very satisfying to worth with and your mill is looking good so far.

I've been meaning to ask for ages, roughly, how long is your stream, end to end? its difficult to get a handle on from the various videos, because it has so many different viewpoints.
Hi Philip
It's roughly three metres long. The upper narrow bit is about a metre until it passes under the mainline and the other feed pipe joins it, then the lower wider section is about two metres.

Rik
------------------------

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:08 pm

That looks great Rik.

How long did that side take?

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:33 pm

ge_rik wrote: ↑Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:57 pm
It's roughly three metres long. The upper narrow bit is about a metre until it passes under the mainline and the other feed pipe joins it, then the lower wider section is about two metres.

Rik
Thanks.
That is amazing, I'd have thought it was at least double that.

It gives me serious food for thought because I've wanted to incorporate a stream since I first started but didn't think I'd have the length. I only have one location where it might work and that comes out to be almost exactly 3 metres!
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:43 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: ↑Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:08 pm That looks great Rik.

Hi Tom
Difficult to say as I've been doing it in short bursts. I've spent roughly two half days on it so far, so around six hours in total. However, as I'm drawing the plans and consulting photos as I do it, probably around four or five hours of actual construction time.

Rik
------------------------

Maple
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Maple » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:01 pm

This post does not help me , i struggling to fight the urge to build a scale canal boat with canal............

More great work though Rik :)
'Professional Bodge artist '

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:28 pm

Maple wrote: ↑Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:01 pm This post does not help me , i struggling to fight the urge to build a scale canal boat with canal............
That would be a heck of a project! In 16mil, a 70ft narrow boat would come out at about 1100mm x 110mm, so your canal would need to be around 300mm wide.
Philip

Maple
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Maple » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:08 pm

This is the problem. I may have to loose some railway to fit it in :( . i thought of building mini canal boats with a mini canal. But wonder if it would just no look right and go for a little stream instead. More thoughts need i think, your stream does look very good :)
'Professional Bodge artist '

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:27 am

Hi Rik,

Yes i did mean a video of your Mill, but that looks great work. What thickness board do you use for your buildings, i presume you use different thickness boards for roofs etc. And where can i buy some from please. :thumbup:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:29 am

Maple wrote: ↑Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:08 pm This is the problem. I may have to loose some railway to fit it in :( . i thought of building mini canal boats with a mini canal. But wonder if it would just no look right and go for a little stream instead. More thoughts need i think, your stream does look very good :)
Why don’t you do some canoes instead or small sailing boats. :thumbright:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:55 am

FWLR wrote: ↑Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:27 am Hi Rik,

Yes i did mean a video of your Mill, but that looks great work. What thickness board do you use for your buildings, i presume you use different thickness boards for roofs etc. And where can i buy some from please. :thumbup:
Hi Rod
I'm using the source mentioned in FBGR's thread - http://www.foamboardonline.co.uk/5mm_Fo ... oam_PVC_A3

They have a special offer going at the moment; ten A3 sheets of 5mm PVC board for Β£10. A heck o a lot cheaper than plasticard. I'm using 5mm board for all parts.

Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:23 am

ge_rik wrote: ↑Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:55 am
I'm using the source mentioned in FBGR's thread - http://www.foamboardonline.co.uk/5mm_Fo ... oam_PVC_A3

They have a special offer going at the moment; ten A3 sheets of 5mm PVC board for Β£10. A heck o a lot cheaper than plasticard. I'm using 5mm board for all parts.
I can confirm it's good stuff. I've used it for my new station building and I ordered some more only yesterday. The special offer has changed...it's now only Β£9 for ten sheets!
Philip

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:26 am

A very nice raging torrent.
16mm scale trout next?
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:54 pm

Thanks Rik and Phillip, just ordered 2 packs. :thumbup: :thumbup:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:40 pm

Done a bit more work on the mill building. Now completed the walls for the ends and the rear of the building. I'm finding working with foamboard to be really rewarding. Impressing the brickwork, although a bit tedious, is very therapeutic and satisfying as the courses can be tailored.

Note: There is no need for brickwork on the lower half of the rear as it backs on to a raised siding. Similarly, on one side will be a leanto.
20170917_150804.jpg
20170917_150804.jpg (228.14 KiB) Viewed 4950 times
20170917_150712.jpg
20170917_150712.jpg (223.93 KiB) Viewed 4950 times
Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:51 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: ↑Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:08 pm That looks great Rik.

Hi Tom
I timed myself completing the rear wall. It took a total of 2h 27m.
  • Marking-up = 1h 33m
    Cutting out = 12m
    Horizontal scribing = 14m
    Vertical impressing = 28m
I've speeded up since the first wall. Also, this wall has around half covered in bricks, so add another half hour or so for the additional scribing and impressing Making around 3h in total for one wall.

Rik
------------------------